Stonewall Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John C. Stiker

1. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffield, CT

I have been working at Stonewall Kitchen (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Work Environment. The manager of Stonewall Kitchen in South Windsor, CT goes above and beyond to support employees. Flexible work schedule. On-site training to enhance the customer's experience while in the store.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities from within the company

Apr 2, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thanks for your feedback on the store. Each one is unique and I agree the CT store is a gem. We do have a good track record of promoting within retail and have had successes promoting to other ... More

2. "Never again"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in York, ME
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in York, ME

I worked at Stonewall Kitchen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free imperfects, product discount, scenery and office grounds and landscaping. They have an entire committee to provide employee events and such.

Cons

Cliques beyond imagination, above pay grade expectations, you get taken advantage of so easily. In a company predominantly run by women, men are held up to be faultless.
    You invest so much to only be left feeling burnt out, under paid and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employees. After so many years with the company, I saw employee after employee be ambushed essentially. It's horrible.

Feb 13, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for taking the time to review Stonewall Kitchen. Your input is valuable because it provides a perspective that I don't personally hear very often. This is one of the positions that is ... More

"Love my job!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oxon Hill, MD

Pros

Great product
    Great support from corporate.
    Not micro managed and trusted to do what it needed
    Love my boss
    A retail company that truly cares about its customers and employees
    I could go on and on...

Cons

Nothing that I don't understand

Jul 19, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. It's important to know the store furthest away from the Home Office is feeling connected!

5. "More Like a Family, Not A Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, ME

I have been working at Stonewall Kitchen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Stonewall Kitchen is like working with your best friends every day. We work hard and play hard. Be prepared for smiles and "Hellos" hundred of times a day, to feel like you are part of a family, part of something greater than you are. To be valued for your strengths and given patience for your weaknesses. To be part of Stonewall Kitchen is to be part of a Creative Community of fun-loving, crazy, people. I am truly honored to be a part of this community and hope that you will be too. :)

Cons

The only main con, is there is not too much room for Job advancement.

Feb 3, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thanks so much for your feedback. Since our review time is coming up I hope you share your quest for job advancement with your direct manager. If there isn't a 'promotional' type opportunity ... More

"This has been an amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in York, ME
    Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in York, ME

Pros

*Long time dedicated employees (there is a good reason they stay)
    *Employees not afraid to share their knowledge and help newbies
    *Newbies do have a voice (all opinions/knowledge is heard) - we learn from each other
    *Incredibly respectful to one another (everyone is important)
    * Office staff respectfully jumps in to help Production or Warehouse during busy times and is happy to learn and assist.
    *Production and Warehouse Supervisors show sincere appreciation when other departments assist.
    *Team environment to meet shared goals.
    *Great food benefits and discounts
    *Positive atmosphere
    *Work hard but play hard- internal FRESK Committee brings fun to employees all year long
    *Community involvement is important to employees - Community Relations committee brings ongoing community support ideas. Employees can help a little or a lot - I have witnessed overwhelming supporting employees contribute personal time and donations because they truly care (not just for show) - so much caring among staff
    *Management jumps in EVERYWHERE that is needed...No job is "beneath them".
    *Management listens to ideas and is involved with all aspects of the business
    *Employee Referral program
    *I look forward to going to work every day!

Cons

More legal holiday time off throughout the year (outside of peak time)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of being involved with all staff and learning everyone's names and what they do for the company. It's important to people.

Nov 11, 2015 – Human Resources Director

We are actively looking at enhancing the onboarding process to include a checklist that will require a signature from every executive/director to ensure we continue to meet and talk to every new ... More

7. "ex employee"

Former Employee - Outbound Order Picker in Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Outbound Order Picker in Rochester, NH

I worked at Stonewall Kitchen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent work easy to understand a lot of great employees,and clean & safe place to work in,and also get to try new products..

Cons

they give u points against taking a scheduled day off, some of the people who are so called team leaders tend to be a bit to much on attitude and think they are the boss and treats employees like crap,, we are all equal , we are all at this job to do the same thing production, be good to one another dont treat people like they are beneath you, its not right, ive been a boss more than once in my life and i am speaking from lessons learned..

Advice to Management

management was awesome,the people in the offices were awesome to me and loved them. they treat people like they want to be treated loved my boss over there. and a lot of the office people i was associated with.at the rochester plant.

Nov 11, 2015 – Human Resources Director

Thanks so much for your review! We will discuss your experiences with the management team in the Distribution Center to ensure the team leaders are living up to our core values and treating ... More

8. "Great stuff....too small"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Oxon Hill, MD
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at Stonewall Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company to purchase from with wonderfully tasty creations.

Cons

It's a small family owned company which leaves room for people to make biased decisions.

Advice to Management

The Maine office should be more physically involved in the national harbor store to insure fair practices.

Nov 11, 2015 – Human Resources Director

thanks for your review of working at Stonewall Kitchen. Being furthest away from the home office is a challenge. We will continue to strive toward making the offsite locations (stores and ... More

"Do yourself a favor, and stay away!"

Former Employee - Production in York, ME
    Former Employee - Production in York, ME

Pros

Free rejects. Monday - Friday

Cons

Management. No appreciation. High expectations, low pay.

Advice to Management

This company looks like a happy family on the outside... But let me tell ya... Working in manufacturing has been the most stressful, misserable job of not only my career but (speaking on behalf my coworkers) everyone else working in manufacturing. They need to get their priorities straight. Time to upgrade ancient machinery. Invest in your hard working employees (significantly under the national average salary). We Need better management (A head of manufacturing who will stop saying what you want to hear and actually start taking action. some appreciation now and then would be nice too) Otherwise i forsee this company heading in a very dangerous path (worse than it is already) I can only speak on behalf of manufacturing. The offices/stores may be some magical fairytale land to work in... Dont let this company try and suck the soul out of you.

Nov 11, 2015 – Human Resources Director

Let me start by saying how sorry I am that you had such a terrible experience. In the last few months we have made some great strides in Manufacturing. We have hired experienced managers and a ... More

"Great brand, poorly managed. Low-wages reflect overall, "Me" feeling of executive team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, ME

I worked at Stonewall Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super creative and hands-on working environment. The owners' creativity and strong sense of design comes through in every aspect, from the beautiful home offices, to the retail stores, merchandising and overall presentation.

Daily food tastings and great exposure to the specialty food industry.

Cons

The low-pay is almost (but only for the first year) excused by the above creative-pros of the company. However, if you are an experienced and talented individual just coming into SWK, do not expect raises and advancements to come, you will be reminded daily that you are "lucky" to be working here at all. Free samples are a nice touch, but feeling a sense of "ownership" for the brand and appreciated for your contributions to the success of the company would be even better.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate where the real talent lies in your company and eliminate those that are a hindrance to achieving even more success (and share that success with your employees who are helping you get there ie: company shares). The high school clique-like atmosphere and attitude is not conducive to producing the best work possible nor is it a professional way to conduct business. Then again, we are reminded that the business success comes from the owners and their family members only. How about creating an environment of collaboration and being more thankful to your employees for all their hard work ( there are plenty of companies out there that are even more successful due to a strong company moral). The executive-only retreats, outings and secret, late-night parties do no good to the overall moral of the majority of your employees.

"Dead-end job if you aren't one of the chosen ones."

Former Employee - Distribution in Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Distribution in Rochester, NH

I worked at Stonewall Kitchen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you are looking for experience at an entry level job. Free imperfect products. Benefits are OK. Corporate offices have lovely gardens and a nice Cafe'.

Cons

If you aren't one of the chosen few there isn't much room for advancement. Low wages. Top management is out of touch with the 'worker bees'. The way to move up in the company is to get in the right clique or be related to someone at the top.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of the employees that do the physical work. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't need the corporate employees at the home office because there would be nothing to sell and nobody to move the product.