Stop & Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

1,019 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Takes years to move up past just another full-time employee (in 64 reviews)

• My job doesn't give out the part time hours that I need (in 51 reviews)

1. "I loved it"

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Gloucester, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Gloucester, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours...really good people to work with(esp in Gloucester ma).... training..... a good union.... pretty good pay ... usually Sunday hours are available.... can work in different departments at times

Cons

Sometimes you get a store or asst manager that likes to micro manage..... if your lazy don't apply because work load is a lot with limited hours....

Advice to Management

Always say good morning to your staff (like Gloucester ma did).... makes workers think you care what's going on in the building.... not just hiding in office

2. "Busy"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Wantage, NJ
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Wantage, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits lots of hours but need to be dedicated to the job. Get paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days.

Cons

Busy always working extremely hard. Expect to work all weekends and holidays. Not much help with workers they aren't reliable at all.

Advice to Management

More pay

3. "Grocery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastchester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastchester, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros unless you want 3 days off a week and 16 hours a week

Cons

Unfair hours I would have 14.5 hours a week sometimes if not it was 16 at the most .

5. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has mostly efficient managers, good starting job, incredible people to work with, and you also meet a lot of interesting people that come in. Regulars are very nice most of the time.

Cons

Managers will talk behind your back, no paid holidays, bad pay.

Managers will also pressure you to put in more hours you can't work. I had an internship and they pressure me to work weekends despite my internship having limited hours and having most hours on the weekends. When I was hired, I was told by a store manager that education comes first. Values are out of place.

Advice to Management

Please understand that associates have lives outside of the workplace and that associates are trying their best especially when it's super busy!

6. "How management verbally and economically harasses workers"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at hiring when they are understaffed which is all the time. That's basically it.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and even then they will still manage to pay you less and give an unreasonable excuse for their corporation greed. They criticize you for being late even by a single minute. Fellow enployees are nice but have more than one job to support families. And these workers are full time. Just putting that into perspective here. And don't get me started on full time workers with visas for out of the country. The management is discrimminatory against individuals from other countries and will come up with reasons to criticize their work even when they're doing nothing wrong. They are also intimidating towards employees. Will criticize part time for working overtime if understaffed in order to do the work that's cut out of four people or five people but is being worked out by one or two persons because of corporation greed and their ability to put less people on the schedule to save money. Will criticize same workers if closing at a reasonable time but a customer complains even after they were given service. Also the place is always dirty. Thanks to morning crew and customers who have no respect for workers and their individual needs. Also being in a Union generally means nothing. They still treat you like garbage and you have minimal protection of any sort. Especially if you came from a different country. Or if you are in an impoverished environment in the country itself. Or if you are on maternity leave. They will criticize you for that even though it's natural. Or paid sick days. You get them eventually but you literally have to fight tooth and nail for it if you are not management. It's always a blame game at this store. Not even management takes responsibility for it's mistakes. They will blame part time employees for errors that they didn't even make. It's good to only work part time because part time or full you are treated the same. They only view you as a number or a complaint of a customer. And they are quick to remove you if you want to make change and improve the store. They will cut your hours. They will cut your wages down. And they will not own up to any of what they do. Welcome to stop and shop. Where you're more likely to lose your wallet your wages your sanity and your insurance.

Advice to Management

Please. Just help the workers. Seriously we try to please you and the customers and there is no balance because of corporate greed. Understaffing is crippling. Unfair hour cuts are inhumane. And they way you work is discrimminatory to workers from out of the country. All this needs to change immediately. My voice means nothing unless it is in a position of power. Ironically in a democracy so just hear this and think. What if that was my kid? Trying to make a living for their family and they get treated like dirt given less than other workers and criticised for getting the work done but that it took more time because they were understaffed? Or criticized for that they left at a reasonable time to please management but only got a certain amount of the work done that they were able to do physically? Also think of their families. They work more than they see their kids or parents or both. Think of the salaries. Rent for one person in New York is over 3000 dollars. A month. Most people can't make that in a month with one job. So they get two. Or three. Or four. Next thing you know rent goes up in price. Looks like we'll need 5 or 6 jobs now. See the pattern? Less time more money less time with family. And through it all? Still treated like second best by management. The children think their parents are stars for working as much as they do or some wonder if they are loved because the parents are always working and they never see their children. Consider that. Don't think of race. Just of family. And don't think of gender. Just of family. Just that they are human. Just think of that. What would you individually do to make this better? Because it's workers like me who want to see REAL change.

"It's ok, but doesn't offer advancement"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The customers, I enjoy helping them... they make my day. It's nice to be able to see families grow over the years.

Cons

No room for advancement. I would actually have to move from store I've worked in for over twenty years.
    That just didn't seem right for good customer experience

8. "stop and shop"

Former Employee - Porter in East Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Porter in East Haven, CT

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work everyone was supper friendly

Cons

as a porter i found it very annoying that my password would eventually have to be changed every 6 weeks

Advice to Management

my advice to management is have different password for the employee web site so it dosnt effect the Password used to access the gun

9. "Hit and Run if you end up here"

Former Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the customers are nice and depending on your dept you can make decent pay

Cons

Very questionable management; in order to be promoted you have to transfer, if you decline you might just get harassed by management, very unfair rule scheme where no one gets reprimanded properly and issues are pretty much shrugged off or dealt with a little slap on the wrist, club mentality with the managers, no healthcare unless full-time/manager but that could be my state

10. "Produce clerk"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in North Andover, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun work environment

Cons

Sometimes gets boring if there is no work to get done.

Advice to Management

Give more breaks

11. "Great job"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Orleans, MA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Orleans, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job , kind people , good income .

Cons

Mangers too fast I can barely communicate with her

Advice to Management

Take the time to talk to people with disabilities . They might have something to say but too nervous to say it or maybe you just don't have time to listen to work related stuff from your employee with disability .

Showing 1,019 of 1,026 reviews