Stop & Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • Offer paid time off for part-time (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy job, fast to learn, great for job for a student (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Does not like to promote employees to Full Time (in 58 reviews)

• Should offer better benefits for part time employees considering 99% of their positions are (in 50 reviews)

1. "this ins't a good place to work"

Former Employee - Porter in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Porter in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

coworkers who will help you out when asked
    overtime after a year
    vacation
    personal days.

Cons

they keep cutting hours making one person do a lot of tasks
    management doesn't appreciate the hard workers
    full timers don't get to work close to home, a lot of them work far from home

Advice to Management

appreciate the hard workers

2. "Head Cashier"

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sunday pay
    Vacation pay
    (After a year)

Cons

This company does not care about their employees. They rather spend more money on light up candy racks and cameras on the registers then put enough help on. The amount of work we do is disgusting for just being paid minimum wage. The company is taking away full time positions and trying to make all other employees pick up that slack.

If you are full time, don't expect to stay in the same place. This company loves to transfer you all over the place. Even to stores that are way out of your district. My store decided to transfer a veteran employee after their service to our store for over ten years. It really has hurt every one of our employees and many of us have just lost faith in the company.

Also, my store manager forgets that this is a part time low wage job. If you don't want many hours she will harass you and tell you that "you must not care about our store". Maybe you could just give those extra few hours to the employees that really want it? Not too hard to figure out....

Advice to Management

Be our voice. Tell corporate that they are hurting our business and reputation. Customers rather have more employees to assist them then light up candy racks or a fancy produce department. Employees are NOT happy. Customers are NOT happy. When will anyone learn that you have to take care of your employees first before the customer. Without happy employees you know for sure your customers won't be happy.

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Nantucket, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Nantucket, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible scheduling, friendly work staff,

Cons

worked with people who barely spoke english, customers were rude, break hours were too short

Advice to Management

change breaks to increase productivity

5. "Don't Work at The Deli!!!"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are understanding of new people because they were just as scared their first day.

Cons

On my first day, I was thrown out to the customers, I was given barely any training and had no clue what the meats and cheeses were and where they were. This may have been due to management not having many people scheduled. I even heard that they had someone very new closing! It was so stressful I had a huge panic attack when I got home. One of the worst days of my life.

Advice to Management

Give people at least 2 days of training before throwing them out to the customers. Be on time when a new person is scheduled for their first day (I needed my pin and this caused me to be late on the computer). And NEVER under schedule the deli.

6. "Management doesn't care"

Current Employee - Clerk in Sturbridge, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Sturbridge, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, union, friends. Sick time, holiday pay, sunday pay.

Cons

Poor management. not being listened too. Poor communitcation with management

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when there is a real concern regarding something at work

7. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Providence, RI

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hires from all walks of life.

Cons

Business-Employer -Management personnel are:

1. The need for trust: Expecting the company and management to deliver on their promises, to be honest and open in all communications, to invest in you, to treat you fairly, and to pay you fairly and on time.

2. The need to have hope: Believing that you will be able to grow professionally, use and develop your skills on the job and through training, and, for many employees, have the opportunity for advancement or career progress, leading to higher earnings.

E

3. The need to feel worthy and respected: Feeling confident that if you work hard, do your best, demonstrate commitment, and make meaningful contributions, you will be recognized and rewarded accordingly, shown respect, and regarded as a valued asset, not a cost, to the organization.

4. The need to feel competent as you gain mastery: Expecting that you will be matched to a job that makes good use of your talents and is challenging and that you will receive opportunities to learn to perform the job capably, prepare for future roles, be allowed to see the end results of your work, and obtain regular feedback on your performance.

Advice to Management

Prioritize with your employees

8. "Department manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Busy company Always customers inside store

Cons

No room for advancement. No good ratingd

Advice to Management

Being more sensitive

9. "Part time easy work"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro to the job that I can think of it is an easy cashier job simple work to do.

Cons

I have been a cashier for 8 years here and I make our few cents above minimum wage. This job i would not recommend to anyone except high school kids for after school. There is no way to move up in this company and they only hire part time. There are weeks where they cut hours and you get 15 hours, and then 25 hours on a great week. If you want full time you will wait years and your not allowed to stay in that store they will ship you out as far as possible, sometimes an hour commute. Not worth the money or time I have wasted here.

Advice to Management

Give more hours instead of taking such nice big bonuses for store managers.

10. "Great company has lost its way."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Pay and Benefits are great. Many locations. Huge multi billion dollar international food retailer. Technology keeping pace for the most part. Can earn a lot of vacation time if you decide to make a career out of it.

Cons

Company has lost sight of several key components needed to retain good, loyal, quality associates.
    Training budget and programs are out dated/non existent.
    Constructive, realistic, and professional feedback, is a thing of the past at all levels.
    Career Growth within the company is very slow.
    6 days a week 9/10 hours a day are expected for members of management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. You pay them well but don't care when they are struggling with the workload. Many of the exercises forced upon them have NOTHING to do will selling groceries and excellent customer service.

"One of the worst run companies around. Find somewhere else."

Former Employee - Meat Associate
    Former Employee - Meat Associate

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow associates are great and willing to help. Union position so very hard to get fired and lazy employees stay. Terrible hours. No life.

Cons

The company does not know it's head from its butt. They love to try (and fail miserably) new store brand items seasonally. Imagine rows upon rows of pumpkin spice everything but nothing sells. Everything gets thrown out as a loss. Very high shrink numbers everywhere.

Advice to Management

No one knows what they are doing. Jobs come and go. So do positions. Please remember where you got your start. Management is not always right. Learn from mistakes. Don't repeat. Work with goodwill and donate foods. Throwing away your bottom line just hurts you.