Stop & Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
Cons
  • The big issue I have is the refusal to promote part timers to full time who don't own their own car (in 63 reviews)

• My job doesn't give out the part time hours that I need (in 50 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has mostly efficient managers, good starting job, incredible people to work with, and you also meet a lot of interesting people that come in. Regulars are very nice most of the time.

Cons

Managers will talk behind your back, no paid holidays, bad pay.

Managers will also pressure you to put in more hours you can't work. I had an internship and they pressure me to work weekends despite my internship having limited hours and having most hours on the weekends. When I was hired, I was told by a store manager that education comes first. Values are out of place.

Advice to Management

Please understand that associates have lives outside of the workplace and that associates are trying their best especially when it's super busy!

2. "How management verbally and economically harasses workers"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at hiring when they are understaffed which is all the time. That's basically it.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and even then they will still manage to pay you less and give an unreasonable excuse for their corporation greed. They criticize you for being late even by a single minute. Fellow enployees are nice but have more than one job to support families. And these workers are full time. Just putting that into perspective here. And don't get me started on full time workers with visas for out of the country. The management is discrimminatory against individuals from other countries and will come up with reasons to criticize their work even when they're doing nothing wrong. They are also intimidating towards employees. Will criticize part time for working overtime if understaffed in order to do the work that's cut out of four people or five people but is being worked out by one or two persons because of corporation greed and their ability to put less people on the schedule to save money. Will criticize same workers if closing at a reasonable time but a customer complains even after they were given service. Also the place is always dirty. Thanks to morning crew and customers who have no respect for workers and their individual needs. Also being in a Union generally means nothing. They still treat you like garbage and you have minimal protection of any sort. Especially if you came from a different country. Or if you are in an impoverished environment in the country itself. Or if you are on maternity leave. They will criticize you for that even though it's natural. Or paid sick days. You get them eventually but you literally have to fight tooth and nail for it if you are not management. It's always a blame game at this store. Not even management takes responsibility for it's mistakes. They will blame part time employees for errors that they didn't even make. It's good to only work part time because part time or full you are treated the same. They only view you as a number or a complaint of a customer. And they are quick to remove you if you want to make change and improve the store. They will cut your hours. They will cut your wages down. And they will not own up to any of what they do. Welcome to stop and shop. Where you're more likely to lose your wallet your wages your sanity and your insurance.

Advice to Management

Please. Just help the workers. Seriously we try to please you and the customers and there is no balance because of corporate greed. Understaffing is crippling. Unfair hour cuts are inhumane. And they way you work is discrimminatory to workers from out of the country. All this needs to change immediately. My voice means nothing unless it is in a position of power. Ironically in a democracy so just hear this and think. What if that was my kid? Trying to make a living for their family and they get treated like dirt given less than other workers and criticised for getting the work done but that it took more time because they were understaffed? Or criticized for that they left at a reasonable time to please management but only got a certain amount of the work done that they were able to do physically? Also think of their families. They work more than they see their kids or parents or both. Think of the salaries. Rent for one person in New York is over 3000 dollars. A month. Most people can't make that in a month with one job. So they get two. Or three. Or four. Next thing you know rent goes up in price. Looks like we'll need 5 or 6 jobs now. See the pattern? Less time more money less time with family. And through it all? Still treated like second best by management. The children think their parents are stars for working as much as they do or some wonder if they are loved because the parents are always working and they never see their children. Consider that. Don't think of race. Just of family. And don't think of gender. Just of family. Just that they are human. Just think of that. What would you individually do to make this better? Because it's workers like me who want to see REAL change.

3. "Hit and Run if you end up here"

Former Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the customers are nice and depending on your dept you can make decent pay

Cons

Very questionable management; in order to be promoted you have to transfer, if you decline you might just get harassed by management, very unfair rule scheme where no one gets reprimanded properly and issues are pretty much shrugged off or dealt with a little slap on the wrist, club mentality with the managers, no healthcare unless full-time/manager but that could be my state

"OK for a low paying or first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Narragansett, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Narragansett, RI

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice relaxed atmosphere, decent benefits, pretty good advancement opportunities

Cons

Low pay, can be difficult to pick up hours

Advice to Management

Show that you care about or appreciate the employees more

"Stocker,night"

Current Employee - Night Stocker in Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Night Stocker in Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at own pace. No customers in store,makes stocking easier.

Cons

Don't get enough hours. Worked Easter and was not paid holiday. Pay attention to pay stubs.

Advice to Management

Observe good workers and reward them for what they bring and do for company.Acknowledge slackers....

"Under paid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm in a pension

Cons

Management is always changing so no constancy. Part timers have no motivation. Dept head are depended like breathing air yet are under paid

"Front-end Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to meet alot of different people

Cons

The Management style is horrible

9. "Shopper"

Former Employee - Shopper in Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Shopper in Mansfield, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are motivated you will be fine.

Cons

The pay is not good

Advice to Management

Don't hire incapable people to work here.

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northport, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northport, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Flexible in regards to hours

Cons

Customers are generally a pain

"Management needs to get it together"

Former Employee - Cashier in Merrick, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Merrick, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Room for advancement
    - Many locations
    - Easy to get a transfer
    - Willing to hire just about anyone
    - Fundraises for important causes
    - You're given lots of hours as a part-time employee. I got around 25/week
    - Benefits for employees that stay with the company such as health insurance, time and a half on Sundays and holidays

Cons

- Managers did not communicate with one another
    - One manager transferred in, did not introduce herself, hid her name badge and screamed at us in front of customers
    - No protocol for dealing with sexual harassment from customers (which happened frequently at my location. Was actually told it was because I was pretty by a manager.
    - Schedules change weekly with little consistency, and you don't find out when you're working on Sundays until 2 days before. Makes it hard to plan your week.
    - Time off isn't always approved, even with advance notice, but they won't tell you until your schedule comes out for that week.
    - Little flexibility in changing your hours because "that's not the way you were hired" (direct quote from 2 managers). Makes it difficult during life scheduling changes such as school, childcare, additional work, weekly doctors appointments, etc.
    - Availability isn't respected even when it's on file. You might work til 10pm one night and come in at 6am the next morning

Advice to Management

- Communicate with each other more. If one manager addresses a concern with someone, let the others know that this is the way it's being handled.
    - Place some sort of protocol for dealing with sexual harassment from customers, whether it be acceptable responses or a code to call a manager (they do this at bars- when you order an "angel shot," you're assisted).
    - Release the schedules a few days earlier to allow people to prepare for their week. If that means starting to work on the schedule earlier, so be it. The only reason why it was posted on Friday was because it wasn't started until Wednesday or Thursday

Showing 212 of 1,022 reviews