Stop & Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

1,120 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,120 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Somewhat flexible part time hours (in 68 reviews)

• Easy to get promoted, easy to work, summer time is cool inside & winter time is worm (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Full time doesn't work for my life when I have another part time job (in 67 reviews)

• If you start part time, it can be difficult to become a full time employee (in 54 reviews)

1. "Basic working area"

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

somewhat good benefits
    decent union

Cons

low pay compared to competition
    overwork individuals to cut cost of payroll

2. "Meat Stocker"

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Good Management structure, with flexible schedule

Cons

Low Pay, plus not much room to grow within the company

3. "Front End"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Plymouth, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, good first job, union job. Raise every February.

Cons

Boring, customers can get annoying.

4. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in North Andover, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have 11 years past experience cashiering and very good skills in working a register .Am will to learn new things.

Cons

there are no downsides .

Advice to Management

If you want to work with the public then you are right for this job the public and customers always come first.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were great considering I was part time. Hours were flexible. I worked there for almost 11 years so the other workers were more like family. I would still be working there if I didn't move away.

Cons

Raises are not that great. Management changes often so routine keeps getting changed. Hours are good one week and cut the next unless you say something.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to work the stores the way they run it . Then they would see how the real world works.

6. "Good Company But My Store Didn't Have Sufficient Technology or Amount of Employees"

Former Employee - Cashier & Bakery Worker
    Former Employee - Cashier & Bakery Worker

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Communal job, repeat customers, friendly environment.

As a cashier: it wasn't so difficult to handle a large line of people and there are usually supervisors around to help if needed (as well as bagging assistants from time to time).

As a bakery worker: its a pretty calm and relaxing environment as long as you're good at time management. There was a certain amount of baked goods you needed to make per day and the bakery managers help you and teach you skills with professional equipment that you'd usually have to go to baking school for.

Cons

As a cashier: my specific location did not seem to have sufficient technology such as register software. It was often where the registers would have technical issues and hold up a large line of people.

Also, I originally applied for cashier but apparently their bakery staff was down to only 2 full time and 1 part time employees. So, instead, they decided to place me in the bakery which caused me to rethink my decision working there. The bakery manager (in a matter of around 3 weeks) expected me to somehow just *know* which deserts I had to prepare daily, how many, and where to get all the ingredients from. I really did try my hardest but I couldn't figure out how or from who she talked to in order to know how much they had to make per day? There was a hand written guide on how to prepare the desserts which had helped but I wouldn't have been able to do it alone. In addition, had there not been such few staff, so much heavy equipment lifting and heavy cleaning in the bakery, I might have stayed. They did not provide me with more than one company shirt and it was really difficult to stay clean especially with the very small bakery space and large use of icing!

Advice to Management

Everyone was very nice to me and I have no complaints. I was, however, very overwhelmed with (almost immediate) responsibility of being the bakery manager.

7. "Stop Useless Spending!!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing, Its been going down hill for many years now

Cons

Company chooses to spend money on useless technology and items for stores. New Lane hawks are a total waste of money. Carousel bagging areas are a total nightmare. Customers are too "worthy" to take their own bags off of it. New "Fun" shirts are extremely inappropriate. I mean really, Never say no? I have had customers make disgusting remarks about the line on the shirt. Double back money promotion? Another way for people to abuse the system.

Do they not understand that all of these things do nothing for the store? It drains the money for hour hours and we are left with no help. Tonight we had only two cashiers on a Saturday evening. We cannot open self scan attendee anymore due to the new self check out "Cubicle". No one in other dept are cross trained. Had lines up the you know what. Nothing we could do about it.

Advice to Management

Managment knows we are extremly short staffed. They are expecting the front enders to do more grocery work such as blocking. We have returns over flowing and they expect us to do those, block aisles, and take care of customers with only two cashiers. Get real. This stress is not worth minimum wage. Oh and there is terrible training. All of our new cashiers are totally clueless. The fulltimers expect them to know what to do without even telling them... really...

"Don't become a "lifer" here."

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hours, experience, minimum wage, easy.

Cons

Being straight up completely miserable.

Advice to Management

Realize that life shouldn't revolve around a grocery store.

9. "pretty okay smooth to work depends on who you work with"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Hempstead, NY
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Hempstead, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

basically when you finish it's like a break just walk around and check to make sure everything is placed and looks good

Cons

weekly hours is poorly bad 16-18 hrs onces a week and 4 hours a day is pretty useless should look for a second job

Advice to Management

give more hours to produce

10. "Cashier"

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Understanding management, good hours, lots of cross training is great, coworkers are great, lenient dress code

Cons

Work-Life balance sucks they'll call you in on almost any day you take off, the pay is bad by a lot of standards, can be very stressful

Advice to Management

Stop calling people on every single day they have off.

Showing 1,120 of 1,127 reviews