Stop & Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

1,064 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,064 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy interview, flexible hours around school (in 65 reviews)

• Somewhat flexible part time hours (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Full time doesn't work for my life when I have another part time job (in 67 reviews)

• If you start part time, it can be difficult to become a full time employee (in 53 reviews)

1. "Busy"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Wantage, NJ
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Wantage, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits lots of hours but need to be dedicated to the job. Get paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days.

Cons

Busy always working extremely hard. Expect to work all weekends and holidays. Not much help with workers they aren't reliable at all.

Advice to Management

More pay

2. "Stop & Shop Understaffed and Overstressed"

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time

Pros

Paying job, some nice people

Cons

Understaffed, poor training in some depts, poor floor management, misplaced reliance on "whipping" workers to compensate for lack of adequate personnel. Little to no rotation of shelf stock, some managers lack basic communication skills.

Advice to Management

E.g., requiring (4) employees to work at inefficiently high speed is less cost-effective than five employees doing their jobs professionally.

3. "Reserve Store Manager"

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time

Pros

You can make a decent living with the compensation

Cons

Being treated like a number and always changing schedule and location

Advice to Management

React to what your associates are asking for

4. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Point Pleasant, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has mostly efficient managers, good starting job, incredible people to work with, and you also meet a lot of interesting people that come in. Regulars are very nice most of the time.

Cons

Managers will talk behind your back, no paid holidays, bad pay.

Managers will also pressure you to put in more hours you can't work. I had an internship and they pressure me to work weekends despite my internship having limited hours and having most hours on the weekends. When I was hired, I was told by a store manager that education comes first. Values are out of place.

Advice to Management

Please understand that associates have lives outside of the workplace and that associates are trying their best especially when it's super busy!

"How management verbally and economically harasses workers"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Levittown, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at hiring when they are understaffed which is all the time. That's basically it.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and even then they will still manage to pay you less and give an unreasonable excuse for their corporation greed. They criticize you for being late even by a single minute. Fellow enployees are nice but have more than one job to support families. And these workers are full time. Just putting that into perspective here. And don't get me started on full time workers with visas for out of the country. The management is discrimminatory against individuals from other countries and will come up with reasons to criticize their work even when they're doing nothing wrong. They are also intimidating towards employees. Will criticize part time for working overtime if understaffed in order to do the work that's cut out of four people or five people but is being worked out by one or two persons because of corporation greed and their ability to put less people on the schedule to save money. Will criticize same workers if closing at a reasonable time but a customer complains even after they were given service. Also the place is always dirty. Thanks to morning crew and customers who have no respect for workers and their individual needs. Also being in a Union generally means nothing. They still treat you like garbage and you have minimal protection of any sort. Especially if you came from a different country. Or if you are in an impoverished environment in the country itself. Or if you are on maternity leave. They will criticize you for that even though it's natural. Or paid sick days. You get them eventually but you literally have to fight tooth and nail for it if you are not management. It's always a blame game at this store. Not even management takes responsibility for it's mistakes. They will blame part time employees for errors that they didn't even make. It's good to only work part time because part time or full you are treated the same. They only view you as a number or a complaint of a customer. And they are quick to remove you if you want to make change and improve the store. They will cut your hours. They will cut your wages down. And they will not own up to any of what they do. Welcome to stop and shop. Where you're more likely to lose your wallet your wages your sanity and your insurance.

Advice to Management

Please. Just help the workers. Seriously we try to please you and the customers and there is no balance because of corporate greed. Understaffing is crippling. Unfair hour cuts are inhumane. And they way you work is discrimminatory to workers from out of the country. All this needs to change immediately. My voice means nothing unless it is in a position of power. Ironically in a democracy so just hear this and think. What if that was my kid? Trying to make a living for their family and they get treated like dirt given less than other workers and criticised for getting the work done but that it took more time because they were understaffed? Or criticized for that they left at a reasonable time to please management but only got a certain amount of the work done that they were able to do physically? Also think of their families. They work more than they see their kids or parents or both. Think of the salaries. Rent for one person in New York is over 3000 dollars. A month. Most people can't make that in a month with one job. So they get two. Or three. Or four. Next thing you know rent goes up in price. Looks like we'll need 5 or 6 jobs now. See the pattern? Less time more money less time with family. And through it all? Still treated like second best by management. The children think their parents are stars for working as much as they do or some wonder if they are loved because the parents are always working and they never see their children. Consider that. Don't think of race. Just of family. And don't think of gender. Just of family. Just that they are human. Just think of that. What would you individually do to make this better? Because it's workers like me who want to see REAL change.

6. "Grocery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastchester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastchester, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros unless you want 3 days off a week and 16 hours a week

Cons

Unfair hours I would have 14.5 hours a week sometimes if not it was 16 at the most .

7. "Good"

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Easy interview, flexible hours around school

Cons

There is nothing I can think of now

"Hideous, after years of dedication, abuse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some coworkers are good humans, union but too weak,

Cons

I've held many jobs including science and this was the worst of all. Treated like animal, ordered to scoop feces out of toilets by hand, many OSHA violations, treated like slave and worked like pack mule, abusive management

Advice to Management

Stop knowingly breaking the l;aw and rules or someone not as ni e as me will sue. Stop unsafe practices and unhealthy food handling. traet humans as peers, not cattle. shame on you.

"It's ok, but doesn't offer advancement"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The customers, I enjoy helping them... they make my day. It's nice to be able to see families grow over the years.

Cons

No room for advancement. I would actually have to move from store I've worked in for over twenty years.
    That just didn't seem right for good customer experience

10. "Good position for someone in school."

Former Employee - Deli Associate
    Former Employee - Deli Associate

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to interact with the local community.
    Flexible hours.
    Great way to break into customer service.

Cons

Management does not seem to be trained properly.

Showing 1,064 of 1,071 reviews