Storables Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Robson

1. "Fun, nice people, small company feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Storables (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedules. Freight is usually fun & we all get a bit silly too. I feel supported by people who have worked there for many years-I can ask anyone for help & they are happy to provide it.

Cons

Reviews & raises could be more frequent

Advice to Management

Reviews could be more often...

2. "Good and Bad"

I worked at Storables full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Core merchandise systems, excellent store level merchandising. Wonderful team environment on a store level.
    Variety of problems to help customers with, always a different puzzle to figure out each day.

Cons

Poorly run Corporate Office. Original owners ran the company like it was the late 80's. Things may be better since their retirement. Didn't get a website up and running until sometime around 2007-8. Didn't believe in advertising. Glass ceiling for employees. Store managers and Assistant managers were almost exclusively outside hires. One location went through about 8 store managers in as many years.

3. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Storables part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Family Feeling
    A small Northwest Company
    Lots of Opportunities
    Listens to all employees
    Laid back but professional
    Everyone is trained to do every job
    No one is above Freight day or loading up heavy IP.

Cons

Not a lot of extra work hours available

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

5. "Enjoying working for a small local company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Storables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the perks of being a part of a small company. Storables has a low stress atmosphere where you can focus on the customer and coming up with creative solutions for their needs. Fun product and great training to get you up to speed quickly. You get to know home office employees and executives by name and they know you. There is the ability to express your ideas to help grow the business and see them implemented. You can have an opinion about what product the company should carry and the opportunity to control merchandise order quantities on the store level. Overall, a very positive experience.

Cons

Part of the challenge of being a small business is maintaining inventory levels, but the home office is aware and most customers are very understanding.

Storables Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Director of Stores

Thank you for your insightful post! We appreciate all that our managers do for us day in and day out --- we are lucky to have such a good group of team members working for us.

"Outdated Business Practices and Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Storables (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities if you are a self starter.
    Small company atmosphere in the stores.
    Friendly people in the stores.
    Lots of great people in middle management.

Cons

A lot like Wal-Mart but smaller.
    They say they are local, but most of their products arrive in containers from China.
    They are too small to be competitive with Container Store and others.
    Most store employees are part time with low wages. Very typical of retail.
    High turnover.
    Their CEO is overly controlling and somewhat passive agressive.
    Management says they want to be cutting edge, but they are very resistant to change.
    Not a fun place to work once you figure out the program.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management team and find someone that knows how to manage people.
    Hire a qualified HR person and follow their advice.
    I am surprised you haven't been sued.

Storables Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Director of Stores

Thank you for the response. It is understandable that someone separating from the company due to policy issues would turn to a platform such as this to air their grievances. We are proud to have a ... More

"Storables took a chance and its worked out"

Pros

Storables is a small company where you are a person not just a number. I applied to work at the store almost 9 years ago. I had been out of a normal work environment for 18 years but Storables saw value in my life experiences and took me on. I started with no retail experience and have learned a lot. My co workers who trained me were patient and met me at my knowledge level. I have advanced from a part time sales associate to a full time lower manager and enjoy the challenges of the different aspects of my job. Its not just working the register all day. I help customers solve problems, design closets,train new employees, write weekly schedules, and work shipment plus more. I have had the opportunity to travel to the Portland area and have even helped to prepare a store for opening. If you are responsible, self motivated, eager to help people with organization, provide excellent customer service, and willing to be a team player Storables can be a great fit for you.

Cons

The difficult things about working at Storables center generally around the flow of product and the focus of the home office. As an employee who hears what customers want us to carry it is sometimes frustrating when home office tells us we can't get those types of products or they don't order in enough quantity of the products customers like and buy to a keep them on hand consistently. The home office also seems to struggle with figuring out marketing and sometimes gets overly concerned about how little things in the store look rather than focusing on the fact that if we have the products people want and provide good customer service they will shop with us.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to be proud that we are a small company. Make our customers more aware of this for a couple of reasons. Number one people like to shop where they feel like they are important (we do a good job of this). Secondly if I know a company is smaller in size I have more of an understanding of why it may take longer to get products in etc. We need to stop trying to appear bigger than what we are and embrace the fact that we are a great small company. The fact that Storables is a smaller company is exactly why I continue to enjoy working there.

"Friendly Helpful"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Storables part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small company, Northwest owned, friendly staff. Willing to work around availability. Encourages knowledge in your position.

Cons

Small company with limited buying power so not always able to compete with competitors.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage, trust your managers

9. "In 18 Years of Retail Experience, Past 8 Years I've Never Felt as Valued."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Storables (More than 8 years)

Pros

Storables is a 4 store chain locally owned in the PNW, born and raised in the PNW it's nice to work for a company based here. A company that allows all employees to have a voice. Always looking for new solutions with current products and employees can think outside the box... Has become a real life Pinterest of ideas through employees own experiences due to great product at good prices with a great discount really gets employees truly in the know about the products they sell. Sells products that employees can stand by and believe in. Company is continuously trying to stay in the loop with changes in retail and has become more open-minded to visions and creativity of employees. Empowers and trusts teams to make shopkeeper decisions at the store level without always needing the approval of the higher ups which makes teams feel valued. Storables respects and represents a positive work/home life balance. They truly care about every associate who joins the team and shows through always at the minimum acknowledging everyone in the building each and everyday when President and VP's are in stores. Very much like a family environment. Constant coaching and feedback not just during review times. No matter what level you are at the store you have an opportunity to learn something new everyday. Constantly focused on improving at every level of associate through keeping up to date with training and training materials. Lots of internal promoting and opportunities for growth. Very promising to see that current CEO started from the bottom as a sales associate. Building bench strength in all positions for overall company growth. Good benefits and 401k match program.

Cons

Small company with minimal locations. Constant customers requests for additional locations. Lacking some technology needed to stay updated in the retail world whether operational or visual. Not able to carry every product available out there from vendors. Products that are carried are somewhat difficult to project sales and will cause product to be out of stock in warehouse. Based on being a small company lacks buying power from vendors and ability to buy larger quantities of products. Dress code not completely fitting for all employees but newer dress code updates more environmentally friendly to all team members.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and learn with teams, will take us to the next level of retail. Keep promoting from within and hiring new blood to keep us moving forward.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Full Time
    Current Employee - Full Time

Pros

The managers really care about their employees, it becomes a real family at your store. Every day is different, and there are opportunities daily to help people come up with solutions to their storage problems. There are a lot of opportunities to be creative with closet designing and making shelving. There is a really good discount.

Cons

Home office is slightly out of touch with things that happen on the store level sometimes. They try, but most of them have no idea what working in the stores is like on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

Hire more from within for home office, it would really help keep home office more updated and informed on what is happening in stores and how they work.

11. "Very satisfying place to work over 10 yrs"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Storables full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed to contribute to decisions, asked for input and opinions. I have found that working for Storables has been the closest I will come to owning my own business without the risk. I get to merchandise, be creative, train and mentor, travel, sell, interact with customers and do what needs to be done to provide exceptional service. I love the dynamic environment and retail at its best. I appreciate all the people that run our home office. They truly care and do their best everyday. Plenty of opportunities to take outside professional development classes. Allowed to take on additional responsibilities. If you are going to do something then do it and follow through.

Cons

We are small and all the challenges that come with that. Our customers think we are big because we offer all the big services: website, national shipping, Imported product and product development. Unfortunately there is not much room error. Ordering enough product for unexpected demand is very difficult. We need to open stores!

Advice to Management

Lighten up and embrace the differences in the management teams. People are not cookie cutter managers and need to lead in their own style. Stop sweating the little stuff and be okay when perfection doesn't happen.