Storm8 Reviews in Redwood City, CA | Glassdoor

Redwood City, CA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Perry Tam

Pros
  • Good job perks (free lunch and dinner, movies, annual gifts) (in 23 reviews)

• Work/life balance is generally fair to good (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Mentioned ad nauseum above, but very little concept of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Any non-live ops resources are put towards "safe bet" new games with no chance of being a breakout hit (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere. People for the most part genuinely like each other and the environment is one of a bunch of close friends working together. The senior management care about the employees and offer generous perks and a hefty profit share bonus.

Cons

Storm8 had a major reduction in force due to recent lack of new game successes.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture going and rebuild with even more creative products. I'd love another chance to work with you guys when the time is right!

2. "outsourcing producer"

Former Employee - Outsourcing Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Outsourcing Producer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly working environment

Cons

No innovation, lack of new idea to create new product

"Lack of transparency and deception"

Former Employee - Live Ops in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Live Ops in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation (Salary + Bonus)
    Good Benefits w/ 100% of Premiums Covered
    Varied Game Genres
    Catered Meals
    Snacks
    Free Gym
    Location

Cons

Unable to trust management who is willing to let entire teams go who consistently met or exceeded their revenue goals

Advice to Management

Don't fire good people

"Good if you want to coast"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, smart colleagues.
    Free food.
    Pretty stable.
    Good to get a feel for mobile games.

Cons

Micromanagement.
    Petty political decisions that hurt teams sometimes.
    Dev-leads picked on technical skill, even if person has poor management/leadership skills.
    Trapped in a box. No creative bone in the company, nor ample opportunity to grow technically unless you luck out and get a good (rare) project.
    Stuck porting features between games (BORING unacceptable for senior-dev skill level)
    Managers too far removed from day-to-day work, so your colleagues input determine your fate (even if they've never been trained to look for skill sets).
    ZERO acknowledgement for soft skills.
    You get credit for staying late and fixing bugs, not for making good bug-free code in the first place, or having solid design.
    Devs pushed to do *everything* including covering for understaffed QA, take over producer responsibilities when they pull yours of the team because of inner politics, do UI even if you hate it.
    OFFICE PLAGUE EVERY MONTH. Because they only give 5 sick days a year and make a fuss whenever you work from home so colleagues come in with awful colds.

Advice to Management

Trust us to do our jobs and pay attention to what we do.
    Soft skills matter.
    Stop only making 100% safe carbon-copy games, you'll never keep enough creative, driven people otherwise.
    Give unlimited sick days. "Someone abused it in the past" isn't an excuse. Handle that on a case by case basis instead of punishing everyone.

"Inept Upper Management, Dying Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were lots of smart people at the company who were friendly and fun to work with. Free lunch and dinner (not the healthiest food options though)

Cons

Executive level was clearly clueless. Wasted millions of dollars on games which were unplayable, then load off most of the people who supported the games which made money for the company.

Advice to Management

Hire executives who actually know how produce successful games. Look at the past when you were successful to figure out what you did right, and look at how you have failed to where you are now.

7. "Professional individual contributor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People: teams are nice and supportive of each other
    - Benefits are great - free food, great insurance coverage
    - Freedom to do your job: we have set goals and business objectives, but at the end of the day, I am given the latitude to do my job how I see fit.
    - There's no micromanaging here and no one tells you that you can't do something if it's for the good of the company (of course as long as you do your work)
    - There's room for exposure into other areas and departments
    - It's sad to see all the negative comments here from our own team members. Some of them are quite shocking as my experience for the most part has been the opposite!

Cons

- Some people are very easy enough to be swayed by other people's thinking -- especially when you think that the grass is greener on the other side. People moving to find other jobs is normal, but that can be seen as "everyone is leaving!" by some folks here.
    - Morale can be pretty low right now, especially since we're working towards launching that "next hit."

Advice to Management

- Let's continue to work together to keep S8 a positive place.
    - Don't let the negativity affect decision making.
    - Build our teams and find more passionate and talented EPs to make the next hit game!

"Great company for career pivot, but not much else"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This formerly successful company is in a steady decline which makes it a prime target to join if you are looking for a career change. You'll be thrust into the hecticness that is the life of a gaming company and you can expect to learn the basics of the skill set needed for your role. You shouldn't stay for much longer than a year at this company.

The people here are really nice and the culture is generally helpful!

Cons

Lack of corporate strategy
    Lack of thoughtful approach to testing market hypotheses
    Analysis paralysis
    Head of product and design emphasizes optics to the CEO vs. actually having a perspective and coaching the team in a specific direction.
    very low tolerance for risk --- anything that is not provable by data doesn't get funded.
    Everyone is leaving :-(

Advice to Management

Would be helpful to be more transparent around actual goals of the company instead of word fodder to keep employees at bay. You aren't tricking anyone...

Nov 8, 2016 – People Team

Appreciate the candor. While we do look to data to help inform product decisions, we also encourage teams to present ideas, which need to be validated to ensure a match for our business. We have ... More

"Wonderful People"

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Redwood City, CA
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, pet friendly office, catered meals for both lunch and dinner. Cross department communication is very good, and there are many opportunities to learn and grow within your own discipline and to learn skills within other departments.

Cons

Difficult to move up and become a regular full time employee. Management does not communicate well and information does not travel down the chain effectively. There’s an expectation that you will work long hours to finish work that should really be for two people rather than just one.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming with information to avoid the rumor mill/gossip dissection of it.

"Zero growth results in zero passion"

Former Employee - User Relations Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - User Relations Associate in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Wonderful people, generous with food and snacks, some unique perks, great medical benefits

Cons

My department lacked strong leadership, growth opportunities and evolving with the company. After several years, I saw little to no change in processes which has resulted in extremely low morale. It was a shame seeing so much potential and talent go to waste. We were also pretty isolated from the rest of the company. Other departments started integrating into specific game teams when we stayed the same.

High focus on quantity over quality in customer service, resulting in poor business practices and not catering to the users. Lots of micro-management and a lack of trust.

Lots of turnover in the higher management.

Advice to Management

Find someone to overhaul your community and customer service department.

May 20, 2016 – People Team

We, too, enjoy working with our wonderful team here. It seems like there was a misunderstanding as the re-seating into game teams only applied to a subset of the company who had to be seated together ... More

"Some ebbs and flows, but overall getting MUCH better"

Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-After looking into most mobile gaming companies in the Bay Area, this place is one of the best by far. They may not consistently hit the top 10 for grossing games, but their benefits, people, and portfolio make up for it.
    e.g. do you want to work for a stable company that invests in employees and growth, or one that hires / fires troves of staff when shifting gears (ahem, Kabam)?
    -Small to medium sized company that provides great benefits while you can still being heard (i.e. you're not just a number).
    -Stocked kitchens. Catered lunch and dinners. Amazing healthcare benefits.
    -Very receptive to feedback when surfaced properly; management does their best to be responsive.
    -Recent eng culture overhaul (for the better); this has been huge imo.
    -Bring your pet to work :)

Cons

-The general expectation is to start work late and end work late, as there are no set hours and that's just how the engineers roll. And yes, this can likely be resolved with a conversation with your manager if it doesn't fit your schedule.
    -It's light (compared to most larger co's), but there are some politics to navigate here. It's not a pure, no-bullshit startup, but this is expected as the company grows. If you don't speak up to your manager about what bothers you and keep up a good rapport, you will not be heard.
    -Due to some management shifts in the last year, there still are some aftershocks. However, management is doing their best to listen to employees and make positive changes.

Advice to Management

-Would be good to see a bit more engagement and visibility from the founders. I was always fond of knowing where we're heading, with the founders (or someone) leading the charge and being transparent. And yes, I know this is difficult to do as the company grows.
    -Find more experienced people that are passionate about making games. Some of the better hires we've had are seasoned professionals that have made a lot of positive impact on how we operate.

May 20, 2016 – People Team

Thanks for your candid feedback. Our goal is to keep the transparency and visibility of our founding team, even as we continue to grow. We've added regular all-hands and TGIF's led by our leadership ... More