Storm8 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Perry Tam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good job perks (free lunch and dinner, movies, annual gifts)" (in 25 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is generally fair to good" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Any non-live ops resources are put towards "safe bet" new games with no chance of being a breakout hit" (in 6 reviews)

• "Upper management is clueless ( from the CEO and down )" (in 4 reviews)

"Lead Engineer for several years"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Storm8 is an great company to work for. You really get a lot of flexibility to find the best solution to any problem, and the entire engineering team is amazing. Everyone is very supportive, and everyone helps everyone else to learn and grow. If at some point Storm8 begins hiring again, I would 100% recommend anyone and everyone apply. Your personal growth is only limited by your ambition and abilities. I went from engineer to lead very quickly simply because I wanted it and I really applied myself; and my efforts were recognized and awarded.

Also, when things were good. They were really good. They took the whole company to Hawaii! And bonus's are amazing. Like my first bonus ever was over 30% of total salary.

Cons

Storm8 has been having trouble finding another hit success game since their initial success. We recently went through a massive set of layoffs and we're struggling to find something to really get behind and make amazing.

Advice to Management

Listen less to the product management team about new game ideas, and listen more to your engineering team about what we can accomplish easily and quickly. Going all in on ideas pitched by people who's entire career is about smooth talking the numbers is always a risky proposition.

2. "Company's back on a roll"

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros

New game is performing through the roof. No politics. Flat structure. Highly focused teams that don't waste time doing decks/presentations to prove points to others.

Cons

Everyone has a voice but some folks might be intimidated by the data- and results-oriented team. Everyone is expected to stretch across not only their own discipline but also others, e.g., engineers should also have good PM sense

3. "Tech Studio Making "Apps" Not "Games""

Former Employee - Associate Game Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary bands were good, as were the benefits.

Cons

There was little to no career advancement, and absolutely no faith placed in the creative talent. I watched some of the best designers I know get sidelined into disillusionment. Poor treatment of designers makes for poor products. Turns out one can not make a hit mobile game based on data alone.

Advice to Management

Trust your creatives, if you have any left.

4. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks and meals, Snacks, games

Cons

Incapable management. Shorted sighted CTO Chak.

5. "Was Great, Now Terrible"

I worked at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Good benefits including catered meals, free healthcare, etc.

Cons

Clueless leadership and terrible process. Their resistance of new ideas and ignorance of market trends means this company can't make a good game to save their lives, and it's not because they don't have talented employees.

6. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Working pace is flexible and game culture

Cons

Company vision is neither clear or promising

7. "Fun work, great people"

I worked at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Fun space to work in and loved my co-workers

Cons

Gaming it just not what it use to be so the industry is fading fast

"Artist"

I worked at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Company lay-off hopefully will grow again

9. "A Company in Slow Decline"

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I had the opportunity to collaborate with very talented and hardworking people
    - Decent pay and really excellent health/transportation/lifestyle benefits
    - Flexible hours and fairly easy commute options
    - Catered meals everyday and access to a nearby gym/fitness center

Cons

-The company suffers from poor creative direction. They got lucky very early on with a few initial successes, but never knew what to do next and didn’t know how to adapt to a changing market. First they tried re-skinning their own games to replicate early hits. When that didn’t work, they fell into a cycle of “fast-follows” (clones) of competitor games, relying too much on metric data, but not really understanding the reasons why a particular game was successful. The heads of the company won’t take any meaningful creative risks; they won’t pursue any game concept that hasn’t already been proven out as a market success. If you want to make interesting or innovative games, this is not the place for you.

- Poor foresight / overall planning. Often times, the year would be closing out and the top leadership had no real idea of what the company roadmap was for the next year, or worse, preferred to keep it secret from their employees until the very last minute.

- Poor career advancement opportunities. It didn’t really matter how well you did on your performance reviews or if you consistently followed through on managerial goals/directives. You either had to be really chummy with your department head or threaten to quit before your desire for promotion would be taken seriously.

Advice to Management

- Don't put so much weight behind metrics and analytics
    - Stop bringing in so many middle managers
    - Start exploring the how and why behind a game's success or popularity rather than just attempting to copy a successful game
    - Throw your remaining resources at a really ambitious project

10. "Good Times"

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the greatest time working here during my early years. Everyone was friendly, easy to talk to, and felt like family than simply co-workers. The perks and benefits were great. All kinds of snacks and drinks and FREE lunch and dinner.

As for career opportunities for growth, it depends on your manager. Thanks to mine, I was able to learn a lot and grow in my career. She was able to provide a lot of feedback on my work and what I could improve on in the future. If there were any issues or blockers getting in the way of my workflow, she was able to provide whatever I might need to get stuff done.

Cons

Although I was able to grow in my field thanks to my manager. I felt it was hard to transfer into other positions that you might be interested in doing. This is based on what other folks expressed to me and I have to agree.

However, the biggest issue currently I believe is that they aren't making mobile games that are groundbreaking or new. A lot of it is a copycat of another game with some improvements or a reskin of one of our current games. I'm not saying copycats are a bad thing, but it would be nice if they made something completely different with some ideas inspired by other games.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your team! Let them come up with some new ideas and trust them! This is what Supercell does and it works for them! I want you guys to bounce back and be one of the best mobile gaming companies once again.

Miss you all and best of luck.