StormWind Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

StormWind Studios CEO Tom Graunke
Tom Graunke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I'm not going to hate on the long hours or comp plans - there's no point, it's a sales gig and with that comes a mountain of relative challenges" (in 6 reviews)

• "That said, hard work pays off and you will get out what you put in" (in 4 reviews)

1. "You’ll learn a lot about yourself and perfect the art of cold calling"

Former Employee - Biz Dev
    Former Employee - Biz Dev

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It really is a great culture from the top down.

Pop a shot machine (even if it doesn’t keep score correctly)

Lots of snacks and coffee

A ton of professional development if you seek it out

A lot of professional A grade experience to learn under

Cons

I would say (when I left, which was over the summer) it was basically a pay cut to switch to sales which I thought was asinine.

Advice to Management

If an elite group make it out of biz dev pay em a little extra on the hour during a ramp up

2. "StormWind"

Current Employee - Regional Consulting Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Regional Consulting Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at StormWind Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down one of the best companies for self development. I have worked at companies that say my door is always open and you will leave said company better than you came in. This is the first company in years that I have worked for that stands by what they say. This is from the top (CEO) all the way down to the front line managers. The trick is, are you open to feed back! Do you as a person want to grow not only in your career but within your personal life? People tend to say this but never back up what they say. StormWind is a great company and proud to be here.

Cons

You have to work hard and in some cases work long hours. To me this is not really a con it is part of the term called work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"An honest review no hype and not angry"

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time

Pros

You will learn more in the time you are here than almost any other company you go to. Drink the koolaid, learn from the vets, be eager to gain knowledge and it will come. I made ok money there. If you are in sales it is possible to hit big numbers but the reality is you are going to make 1-4k a month in commission. In biz dev you are looking at 500-2000 in commission if you are really good. But if you come to work here, come to learn, to grow as a sales person. Stay for a year or two and then branch out. Unless you have it made there you will work hard, very hard. The effort you put in is truly in your paycheck

Cons

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRUST MANAGEMENT! By this I mean do not tell management anything personal. They will use it against you. If you are thinking of looking for a new job do not let them find out or you will be fired. There is a culture of brown nosing and some managers whom I will not name will go out of their way to report to the CEO to gain some points. Its alot like high school. You can learn alot if you pay attention but watch the crowd you hang with because the principal is always watching

Advice to Management

If you come to someone as a friend. Be just that. Dont come bearing bread to only have it hiding the dagger. It creates resentment and that's a great way to kill culture.

StormWind Studios Response

Nov 5, 2018 – Recruiter

I look at the tons of positive reviews here in Glassdoor, with the vast majority claiming that the Leadership here has changed their life, and I wonder where we went wrong? Yes, you can make good... More

"Don't be afraid of change!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at StormWind Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Are you kidding? Really? The amount of ignorance in the recent post frustrates me. Don’t you know how good you have it? I am tired of people who have probably never had one of the real world average jobs before Stormwind complain. By lack of comparison you don’t know what a special place this is and you are not taking advantage of what it has to offer.

Yes, our Senior VP of Sales left to find his next dream, but he groomed his passion and knowledge deep inside everyone, especially the leaders who just have been promoted and who now have the opportunity to grow and evolve the organization just like he did. I find it incredibly selfish that you would prefer to hold everyone’s future back so that you feel more at ease.

Change is hard and uncomfortable. Discomfort is the zone where you grow and learn. When you stop growing and learning you die, and won’t die here.

Those that back-bite and degrade vs. genuinely trying to make themselves and the company better are the worst kind of people. You need to realize WE have created a place where WE can all be better.

So, the CEO… he’s fast paced, passionate, knows how to run a profitable business and loves to teach and mentor. But I’m seeing that is not of interest to you…? In Phoenix, there are very few business leaders like him - on site and accessible, with his door open daily. You’re missing the opportunity to utilize such a unique and rather rare knowledge base. People sometimes don’t agree with things said by the CEO, you scratch your head and wonder, but this is a man that has founded three successful business. He founded Stormwind In the height of a recession, got it off the ground and with his and OUR hard work we have created a place where we can all be better.

If you are looking for a big, lazy, not going to make much more base go elsewhere. I personally like the extra commission percentages I earn. Don’t you get it? You make more money that way.
    Agreed – we are not perfect – always room to improve, but be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Like Thanksgiving dinner. You may not like everyone at the table. There will always be that wired uncle. If you don’t want to sit at the kids table start acting like an adult. Even if you busted your tail to make to bring some killer green beans and pie the host still is just looking for a thank you for bringing it all together. We all walk away with some laughs and a full belly.

Cons

If you are just looking for a job we are not for you.

Advice to Management

To the new leaders - do what you do best - you got this

"Sr. Business Development"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, nice office, free drinks and snacks

Cons

Over promise and under deliver. Smoke and mirrors. Cant really make any $$.

Advice to Management

none

StormWind Studios Response

Aug 4, 2018 – Recruiter

Well this isn’t good and we hate seeing people not hit their goals and succeeding. We have dozens of people hitting personal life goals every year. Getting promoted to a senior BD role takes hard... More

"A Shining Example of Excellence"

Former Employee - Business Development in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful leadership, training and culture with boundless opportunities. Cutting edge technology with managers who provide incredible support. The culture that has been developed and maintained truly makes it a gem and working there feels like you have discovered a hidden treasure. The company makes an investment in you and is eager to watch you grow. If you are lucky, you will realize the great potential that you possess- the exact potential that the leadership and managers have already seen in you and wish to bring full circle. You will sharpen your skills, develop new talents and create a new mindset that will make you better in every way imaginable. Consider yourself incredibly fortunate if given the chance to work at Stormwind Studios.

Cons

More volunteering opportunities! Stormwind Studios makes a concerted effort to give back to the community and to those in need and I wish they did it more often.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize and showcase individual efforts and talents. It is a fantastic way to highlight the hard work of those that make Stormwind Studios the best place to work in Arizona!

"I've learned more here in two years than all the other years of my career combined"

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at StormWind Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unbelievable professional development going on here. All of Senior Management cares about your growth and progress as a professional and gives you their time and resources to help make it happen. I've been in Sales my entire career, but I've learned more here in the last two years than anywhere else I've been .... hands-down the best sales training you'll find anywhere. They've also found a way to make telesales a good time. Sure, there's pressure to hit quota like any legit sales organization has, but you want to hit your numbers......you want to make your commission.....you want to impress your managers.....you want to improve. Well, the employees who are worth keeping around or the employees who give a shi*t do. If you are just looking for "a job", then this place isn't for you. If you are looking to put in some work to get better at what you do with people who think the same way as you do, then apply to StormWind.

Cons

I'm a salesperson here so naturally I want more commission. I could get 100% commish on each sale and I'll still ask for more ;)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing: hands-on, lots of call breakdowns, helping us craft emails, promoting the strong reps, and constantly working on helping everybody improve.

"If you want to develop yourself professionally and personally this is your company"

Former Employee - Regional Marketing Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Marketing Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing mentorship
    Top notch managers
    Considerate colleagues
    Engaging corporate culture
    Ability to advance
    Real time recognition for advancement

Cons

No 401k matching
    Commission percentage could be higher

Advice to Management

This is an amazing company. I truly felt empowered to create my own future and valued by management. It is an environment where a strong voice (and a strong female) are valued! Questions are welcomed-and answered. Your sales and negotiation skills are developed and your weaknesses supported.

Fundamentally, it is a Christian based company. This is illustrated in the best sense of the concept. All are welcome, all are encouraged, and all are challenged. It is hard work and effort is not only expected it is required. However, when that effort is displayed the opportunities are endless.

Managers are truly engaged on the sales floor. Coaching is real time and delivered in a positive and collaborative spirit. Discussing your future is an open invitation with no favorites, glass ceilings, or agendas that must be hidden to be achieved.

Being aspirational is not seen as a threat-it is seen as an opportunity to add value to the company as a whole. Just watch out because you will be challenged to push yourself to anything you indicate you want to achieve.

Your colleagues are actually a very diverse and welcoming group of professionals. Age and wisdom is valued and energized with youth and new insights. You see every type of person-in every position. This is usually spoken of corporately but not actually seen. StormWind has materialized the best of diversity in the workplace. With a start up feel the company has found a way to run a common thread of "being in a common trench" through the workforce and it shows.

They hire for substance, the core of a person and take responsibility as a company for developing the rest. This also includes personal development. They expect and will ask what you are doing to become a better YOU. Reading, vision boards, 5 year plans are normal conversation in the course of a workday.

If money is your motivator there are daily/weekly/monthly contests that result in immediate cash payouts. Want to leave with an extra $20-$200 dollars in a day. You can certainly do it-and then do it again the next day! Contests are fun and the rules clearly defined. Winning is accessible to a new hire or long standing employee.

In one sentence: StormWind is a place to grow and learn while being challenged, pushed and rewarded!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at StormWind Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Leader Ship
    -Leader Ship willing to help anyone
    -Company willing to invest a lot of money to help improve their employees and give a lot of prizes
    -Fun atmosphere
    -Music all the time
    -Lot's of food and drinks.

Cons

Got rid of the Trix Cereal.....That was a low blow :*(

Advice to Management

When I see these few reviews that are 1, 2 star reviews or even 3 stars, I can't but help think, "Where did those individuals go wrong?" Today was my last day with StormWind Studios and I can honestly tell you that this was the first job I actually was sad to leave. I started in the business development side, which most people do and excelled in that area . I was not able to make the 6 month mark promotion to sales, which was my a goal. Mainly due to the lack of seats they had available and having others who were more senior and who were more than qualified were next in line. Two months later, I earned the promotion for sales. Sales was no joke, it was a lot of hard work and there was a learning curve that you had to over come. But long story short, my time had run out. I just hadn't caught on to it as fast as I was hoping for and was not making the amount of commission I needed to completely support my family, even with my generous base amount. There were many others who caught on much faster and some others who took a while before it clicked and now they make great money. My wife starts her Masters here shortly and I needed to find a more stable job that would support her through school and my family. I was hoping StormWind would provide the means I needed, but as I said earlier, it hadn't clicked in time. I feel I was almost there, but it was time for me to move on. But I was fine with moving on, I had learned so much from StormWind and from the leaders, much more than any company I've ever been with. These skills and tools I learned, if I apply them, it will make me very successful with any profession I do. As my manager (who is by far one of the best leaders I know)....and I were discussing my options, I told him what I felt would be best, which was to leave StormWind. My manager wasn't going to have it, he started to think about other options that we could do, so he could keep me........(Sure feels nice to be wanted). After a long discussion, he and I both felt this would be the right move, even though we both wish there was another way. Here is where things got interesting and surprising. The person who is over the sales department, our Chief Revenue Officer and Co-Founder of StormWind Studios called me up, but not at work. He called in the evening at home where I can hear his kids playing in the back ground. He was taking his own personal time, away from his wife and kids to call me. Let me inform all of you that this man, him and I don't have a close bond friendship, I am just another employee, but we of course know each other. He calls me the same day I left and told me that he heard the news and wanted to wish me good luck. I thanked him for the call and told him that I really appreciated it......(In fact I was shocked that he called me, I didn't see it coming)....Now let me tell you something even more shocking that he said to me....He said in a very humble voice, and you could hear somewhat of regret in his tone, but he tells me that he wished he could of done more for me, that he could of helped me more and that, that is something he is trying to be better at....I was BLOWN AWAY!........of course I told him it wasn't his fault but that I did appreciate his words........ It didn't stop there.....He then tells me that he knows a guy who works for a great company that I should look into. Next he tells me that once I look into it and if I am interested, that I should call him and he would help set things up for me to get an interview....... HE IS NOW OFFERING HIS HELP TO HELP ME FIND A JOB??!!...... How awesome is that?!!! Having this call coming from the Co-Founder of StormWind meant a lot to me. It showed me even more than what I thought I already knew, that is how much the company and the Co-founder cared about me and their employees. But again, it doesn't stop there!.....Next he offers me the job back!!! He tells me that if I want to, and feel that I am ready to come back, that all I need to do is give him a call..........Ok everyone, remember I just left today and now I know that I always will have a job waiting for me with StormWind. What a fantastic company! So as I said earlier for you people who write bad reviews,......where did you go wrong? Clearly you did go wrong somewhere and you now blame this amazing company for your faults, because let me guess "YOU'RE NEVER AT FAULT?" There should be no reason why you should have any negative feelings to a company who runs the company as any other business, but also has a heart. I would of recommended this job to anyone, but after today's experience with the support of my manager and Co-Founder, I'd beg people to apply here then cross your fingers and pray to God that you can get a job offer.

"Great company in a good industry with incredible culture"

I have been working at StormWind Studios full-time

Pros

Good people, clear expectations and good benefits

Cons

Constant grind. The highs here are great and the lows are brutal.