Straight North Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
David Duerr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A stable startup with huge growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Director in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Director in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Straight North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flat structure and transparent executive team provide a good leadership model that focuses on two things: the value of people within the organization, and providing clients with an efficient, effective service built to maximize performance. There is support across the organization to help solve problems, while also providing autonomy and independence for individuals to think outside the box. While not perfect, I generally agree with the priorities with which Straight North focuses.

Cons

The pace of change within the organization at times can seem fast as lightning, and other times creep at a snail's pace. The flat structure can be a limiting factor when looking to grow within the organization.

Advice to Management

Provide more growth/training opportunities outside the organization, and allow for customer feedback when developing new processes and/or products.

"Good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Straight North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great and worked really hard. The company constantly looks for new ways to improve and grow in the Internet marketing world.

Cons

The company does not seem to value lower level employees and looks for ways to spend little money on them. This creates a lot of employee turnover and makes quality employees leave the company quickly. The amount of drastic change that occurred while I worked there was also an issue. It's a good thing to innovate and improve the company, but when one team's job description is drastically changed multiple times over the course of a year, client work is going to suffer and employee stress greatly increases.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and create an environment where employees can grow and thrive. There is very little opportunity for employees to get promoted or move to different departments, so it's difficult for people to stay there long term unless they want to stay in the same position forever. If you give employees good raises and benefits, they'll be more likely to stay, which will benefit the company and its clients in the long run.

"Internet Campaign Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

Pros

Great people and nice office

Cons

Not enough training to get a good jump start. They have a lot of processes to follow that seem to take more time than the actual work you can do.

Advice to Management

More on the job training

"Bright Future"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Straight North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Straight North is a great environment because there are so many people with different skill sets in the office. Employees are not afraid of going to others to ask questions and collaborate. The marketing assets and consulting we provide our clients is focused and effective. We incorporate the same marketing tactics into our own strategy, which is why we are growing vastly and are hiring at an accelerated rate. I can't wait to see this how Straight North grows and advances through the years... Very fun to be apart of.

Cons

The view of the parking lot is pristine.

"Great dev shop to learn a CMS and crank code"

Former Employee - Front-end/CMS Developer in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Front-end/CMS Developer in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Straight North (More than a year)

Pros

I was a young, inexperienced developer when I applied to Straight North. I had no experience with Drupal (Straight North's CMS of choice at the time), but the CEO believed in my overall skills enough to hire and train me as a Drupal developer. The other developers were extremely friendly and helpful while teaching me the ropes. I spent two years at Straight North and left with great developer skills and life-long friends.

Cons

The commute from the city to the suburbs was not ideal.

"Horrible, abusive company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Straight North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers I met were an amazing group of people- of course, they all moved on at this point.

Cons

A process driven company without processes.
    My main responsibility was supposed to be strategic planning and production management. The position was really crisis management. Results were erratic at best, and, as the spokesperson for the company, it was often my job to be in the middle of the client and the steaming pile of poo Straight North delivered.
    The best way to do this, apparently, was to start getting creative with graphs- One of my co-workers would routinely swap most of the numbers so that it looked at first glance that the numbers were going up, not plummeting down.
    The artificial stress was amazing, as was the constant grind of people and clients coming in and going out.

Straight North Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Chief Strategy Officer

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a negative experience working at Straight North. As one of the fastest growing companies in a dynamic, changing marketplace we are sometimes forced... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Straight North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Employees are extremely friendly and helpful. The culture created is a testament to the partners whose attentiveness and care for both the growth of the business as well as the growth of each individual is unmatched. After coming over from a large corporation where it is easy to get lost in the shuffle, Straight North allows each employee to feel respected and valued. If you have the right work ethic and competitive drive, this is the place for you...

Cons

none, none, none, none, none

8. "I work with the Internet Marketing Team."

Pros

Great place to work. Environment is fun and the people I work with are smart and great to collaborate with.

Cons

I have no cons working here.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Straight North (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice, helpful and willing to help with any questions you have. Great company with good intentions. Loved all the people I worked with here. Learned a lot over the summer.

Cons

None. I really enjoyed my time here and felt like I learned a lot

10. "straits representituve"

Pros

Good co workers, strong managment, decent pay

Cons

Gotta commit a lot of time.