StratMar Reviews | Glassdoor

StratMar Reviews

Updated April 6, 2017

Ethan Charas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Senior Management is always available to all staff members (in 3 reviews)

• However, Management makes it a very hostile work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Mngnt in the airport and upper management are all shady and cannot be trusted (in 4 reviews)

• The bonuses are so so even if you make a lot of sells (in 2 reviews)

1. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at StratMar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours good for college students

Cons

no 401k to help your retirement

Advice to Management

could offer more benefits to its employees

StratMar Response

Jun 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Our full-time employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and 401K benefits. We offer a fortune 50 benefits package; our HR dept can answer all questions.

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at StratMar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like working at the airport and meeting new people, the job was easy if you enjoy talking to people, no day is the same, but most day sales were okay

Cons

Cons was the managers were were very unprofessional, I started working in April and out of nowhere with out any warning we were all let go two weeks before Christmas, in the 8 month's of employment we had 6 managers. I had never been part of a team managers come and go with in a month time some didn't stay a week at one time we even operate with no manger. I see positive reviews I wish I could say the same. But the managers at this location did not get alone which spill over to the team which cause conflict and made it uncomfortable work place, midway Chicago , this most likely will not be posted because it's the truth

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed and love my job I was at work everyday and on time but because we could keep manager or a team which cause our sales to drop which lead to determation of our jobs was very unprofessional next work for company that was unable to see the problem within, top managers sat in there corporate office with the lack of communication with there team and showed no remorse for termination of our jobs, I read this quote somewhere bad managers are the cause of good employees not to succeed in there job, to man managers and no leadership

StratMar Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Recruiter

StratMar prides ourselves on hiring the best of the best. While conducting manager interviews, in any airport we staff, the National Manager takes on an employee supportive role. The National Manager... More

3. "Hard Work, Long Standing Hours"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ

I worked at StratMar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to improve your public speaking ability or if you a generally shy person; then this is the job for you. I spoke to an average of 100 people daily as this job was me standing behind a kiosk at the airport selling a credit card.

Cons

Headaches, leg pain, back pain, eye soreness, no time for slack. Monotonous daily routine.

Advice to Management

For the branch of StratMar located in Newark Airport, I would suggest that you invest more money. This will improve the billboard ads throughout the airport, improve the brochures, and avoid any confusion for both the customer and employee; thus alleviating much of the work force's problems. Perhaps investing in touch screen tablets for each kiosk at EWR Terminal C.

"Good for short term, definitely not for long term"

Current Employee - Vendor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vendor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at StratMar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well the pay is really good. Most commission jobs have a low base pay or none at all. Stratmar starts you off with $12/hr plus commission.

The shifts are short, usually either 4 or 6 hours. That's really all the good stuff.

Also, you work in an airport. That's kind of fun. You get to talk to people from all over the country for a short amount of time.

Cons

Now this is a long list. First, the management. When I was first hired, there were two managers who were there almost all the time. And when they weren't there, they could always be reached by phone. Then about two months in, they fired one of the managers (they told us because they didn't want to pay two manager salaries). Literally 2 hours after this, the other manager got us all on a conference call to discuss an assistant manager promotion that just opened up. What? Then, the remaining manager came into work less and less. In the past few months, I've only seen him twice.

Next the scheduling. While the schedule is pretty flexible, and you can pretty much set what hours you can and can't work, you will be called in constantly. Either someone called off or someone decided they want you to come in for extra help. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't at ridiculous hours. The kiosk opens at 6 am everyday, and the manager will call you at 11pm. The schedules are given out the day before they start, i.e. They come out on Sundays for a work week that starts on Monday. It's incredibly frustrating and impossible to plan your week out.

The job itself. It's challenging. At Midway, you are working for Chase selling Southwest Visa cards. The majority of the job is trying to grab peoples's attention and convince them to sign up for the card. Some days are good, most days are normal, some days are bad. The company goal is for everyone to have at least 1 application per hour. It doesn't seem like a lot, but there aren't a whole lot of people who want another credit card these days. In a six hour shift, I average about 3-4. Some people do better than that, some people do worse. If you don't reach the goal, you have to either write an action plan or talk to the manager over the phone and explain why. They'll ask you what you can work on to improve your performance, but nothing you say is good enough for them.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the floor employees more. On site managers are sketchy in their scheduling.

5. "3rd Party Temporary Sales Positions"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Reading, PA

I worked at StratMar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Represented a well known local company- branding helped get foot in door. Provided Ipad and Salesforce.com No micromanagement. Upgraded the pay plan was more competitive.

Cons

Assigned Territory too small to consistently hit target goals. Poor HR assistance. Average Pay.

Advice to Management

Provide more industry specific training. Provide on-going sales technique training. Provide more marketing tools. Use incentives/ bonuses more often.

"Stratmar Retail Services review"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StratMar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Needs to pay what people are worth and better benefits

7. "Okay company, but I will never want to work for them again..."

I worked at StratMar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Speaking that it is a part time/sales/retail job, the pay is okay for what it is.

Cons

If you are working at an airport, expect to pay $12.00's to park everyday you go into work. The company reimburses you, but the first couple of weeks you will have to come out of pocket to cover those charges. That's really money you will never see. Also by them reimbursing you under the table, they don't keep up with how much you have given them. Til this day, I still haven't heard back from the manager regarding my reimbursement!

8. "Good job for a little extra pay"

Former Employee - Product Demo
    Former Employee - Product Demo

I worked at StratMar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's easy and at times could be fun.
    Flexible with your hours

Cons

Standing the whole time.
    Gets boring at times.

9. "Field Manager"

Pros

The work was consistent with other merchandising companies--I enjoyed the group and had a reasonable region.

Cons

Lack of contracts and cutbacks. Some DMs were cut for little apparent reason, others due to lack of work available. No feeling of job security.

Advice to Management

Revamp the upper management team. The recruiting team was top-notch, the field managers seemed to work well together, the home office seemed disjointed. The power-struggles were obvious to the field.