Strata Decision Technology Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Strata Decision Technology Chicago Reviews

Updated September 10, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company offers an endless amount of career development opportunity in an open and fun work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Working at Strata is a great learning experience and it provide tons of opportunities to lead and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult at certain times (in 10 reviews)

• If you aren't in office politics or considered a "star" then you will likely be let go and soon (in 6 reviews)

1. "Vibrant company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strata Decision Technology (More than a year)

Pros

Great easy going people to work with, room to grow personally and professionally

Cons

I don't think i can find any

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Good overall"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time

Pros

Strata has good middle management, especially on the product side. The benefit package is also pretty healthy.

Cons

There is uncertainty about long term vision surrounding technology. Senior leadership does not seem to value developing product talent.

"Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of room for growth in the industry and also a fast growing company which provides opportunity. Requires critical thinking which is helpful for enticing future employers

Cons

Proprietary software which makes it hard to gain general knowledge of the industry. Sometimes feel there are some inefficiencies within the company that may cause issues as the company grows

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Great people
    - Great view and office
    - Great location (next to Millennium Park, Chicago)
    - Lot of helping hands
    - Lots of free food
    - Challenging
    - Provide FSA (spending account)

Cons

- Far from Union Station (25min walk)
    - Strict hours but they do allow for you to come in late or leave late for personal appointments

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The thing I like most about working for Strata is the culture of always striving to improve the company. Strata has changed a lot since I started 1.5 years ago, and it has all been for the better. They have recently brought in several employees that bring an outside perspective from the healthcare and consulting industry. They are always looking to improve the product and the way we run the company. I also really enjoy the people I work with. Most of them are hard-working individuals who really care about our clients. Lastly, our rapid growth across our software platform makes it an exciting, dynamic place to work.

Cons

It is great that Strata is growing so quickly, but sometimes processes are unclear. Although the company is working to improve clarity and structure, it can be frustrating for some employees.

Advice to Management

Management has put a lot of focus on improving the work-life balance of employees over the past year. They also have a great vision of how to structure the company and the types of products/services to offer based on market needs.

Feb 3, 2016 – Team Development Specialist

Thanks for the notes here. We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working with the team and have seen the tremendous change and growth through which we have gone. We hope the team has been able to... More

"Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strata is a strong company: lots of market opportunity, reliable technology, talented and motivated workforce, firm financials. Also, the company is growing at a rapid but sustainable and organic rate. Because of that growth there are always new opportunities opening up to those that are ready and wanting to take new steps in their careers. Consulting excepted, leadership is intelligent and open to new ideas and there is a culture of collaboration.

Cons

The Consulting side of the business is culturally inbred, most senior people having no professional experience outside Strata and creating an echo chamber of bad ideas - both technical and organizationally - that are taken as granted. The CEO has taken steps to move some of these people into positions where these toxic habits will have less impact on operations. However old alliances and patterns of thought die hard.

Advice to Management

Diversify your consulting management team with new people with new perspectives. Don't hire senior managers that don't have proven leadership experience or ability.

"Great Products Not So Great Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Strata has built a lot of useful and meaningful products in a space where few, if any, tools exist in healthcare. Product and Development teams successfully employ the Agile methodology to churn out new and innovative products as well as continuous improvement of existing products. There are many initiatives in place attempting to make Strata a world-class organization. Lots of opportunity to advance and make a big difference in a company that's growing >20% year over year. Good pay for good work

Cons

Strata runs a lot like a startup except for the nearly 20 years it was a Mom and Pop consulting firm before realizing its software was more valuable than its advice. That past has led to toxic inbreeding of upper management in the Consulting arm. That pushes away good talent (a mass Exodus of 10-15 employees at a time leaving the company has happened several times), and the only people willing to stay are/were largely those not providing much value in the first place.

Not great pay for great work (tops out at good). Benefits aren't great.

Advice to Management

While management has done a great job at limiting the toxic culture created (as mentioned in Cons section), they need to do more. Being a small company, Strata feels it is reliant on the client relationships these people have built over the years (relationships built on promising the world and delivering a marble). Many employees complain that Strata should hire more because we are understaffed, which is true. But Management should ensure that they are hiring adults who have professional experience. Otherwise, any good talent will walk right through the revolving door that is most of the Client Services side of the business.

Allowing the above to happen is the only reason CEO Dan Michelson doesn't get a +1 rating.

Feb 3, 2016 – Team Development Specialist

Thank you for the review and we appreciate that you see our vision of providing the best products and services. We have poured a lot of time and resources into adapting with our growing team and... More

"Rapidly growing company with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strata has always delivered on Products which are a need of the market. It has really improved its processes and structures in the last year or so. Working at Strata is a great learning experience and it provide tons of opportunities to lead and make a difference.

Cons

Since the company is growing so rapidly, change is a constant. Although it leads to a lot of opportunities but it can be taxing on the employees at times.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to focus on improving client services and empower the teams to lead different initiatives.

"Get Some Experience & Go Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drinking in the office, young group that has fun hanging out together, you get promoted at warp speed & you don't need experience to get hired.

Cons

Exceptionally high turnover rates, poor benefits & young, inexperienced managers that only got their positions because everyone else left. Departments are completely siloed, & cannot or do not work together (if a client purchases 4 platforms, they get 4 completely separate implementations from 4 separate teams that do not share information). The majority of the staff are technically smart but have no healthcare or consulting experience whatsoever & the few people that actually have healthcare or consulting experience fail with the technical aspects.

Take the job if you're a recent college grad - stay for a year, get your senior title & move on like the majority of us have done.

Advice to Management

Diversify your management team with outside resources. Just because there are a few people that have actually stayed with the company, doesn't mean they should be in upper management positions.

Feb 3, 2016 – Team Development Specialist

Thank you for the review. In the nature of full transparency, we have gone through our spurts of growing pains, as with any company that is growing and scaling at an astounding rate, however our... More

"Growing Company with a passionate team"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Learning opportunities.
    Great company if you are looking for a challenging career.
    Good environment

Cons

It could be sometimes challenging to have a good work-life balance.