Stratasys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Ilan Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hundreds of employees had the opportunity to go into the community to teach Kindergarten - High School students about 3D printing (in 12 reviews)

• Cutting edge technology that has a promising future when managed by the right management team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work-life balance if you want to be considered an employee that just meets expectations (in 6 reviews)

• Many challenges lately after the 3D printing market took a dive (in 5 reviews)

"Lots of Opportunity, Lots of Change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Stratasys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stratasys is a dynamic, fast paced, constantly changing environment that is perfect for people who like to dig in, fix problems, and run fast. It operates truly as a global organization so you have the opportunity to work with people across the world daily. If you like your job to be set, where the role is clearly defined and fully baked and you do little else outside of your own box, then this is not the organization for you. The best thing about Stratasys is that you have endless opportunity to make an impact every day because of the number of challenges there are to solve, and because of the people you get to work with daily. Not all problems have a solution, but there is always progress.

Cons

There are times where you are expected to take on additional workload, projects, or roles that will sometimes feel overwhelming with the amount of work you already have, so it is sometimes hard to establish work life balance. Due to cultural differences (language, approach, time zone, work week) with Israel, it is sometimes more difficult to get things done or you may have to approach it three different ways until it can be solved, and sometimes there is no solution.

Advice to Management

Value your high performers who are keeping your business running and don't only address your "squeaky wheels". If you reward those who show up each day, do their best work with a smile, (even when they are overwhelmed) it will start to change the culture.

"Sr. Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Stratasys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Life/work balance. Great place to work if your just looking to bring home a paycheck.

Cons

Weak, detached leadership. Little, to no growth opportunity. Antiquated work environment. Company is all smoke and mirrors and lacks excitement and dynamics. This is a company that will fall to the raise of young innovative competitors.

Advice to Management

If you want to truely grow,...bring in young engineers and let them change the way you design products. Stop repurposing old designs. Get involved. Create excitement. Have a vision and drive it. Be honesty.

3. "Awesome Industry Leader"

I have been working at Stratasys full-time

Pros

Great environment
    Great people
    Collaborative setting
    Opportunity to make an impact
    Cool industry and industry leader!

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Caveat emptor - if you bought what they sold you..."

I worked at Stratasys full-time

Pros

High-potential technology with nearly limitless applications…whose broad adoption and success is hindered by company leadership that cannot get out of its own way.

Cons

Stratasys in the Americas region is currently driven by a megalomaniacal sales culture that is solely focused on furthering their own political agenda with no regard to the impact upon employees, partners, or customers. The executive leadership consists of two distinct functions – one is the political puppeteer that has seen all, done everything, and succeeded with every endeavor embarked upon (and relishes nothing more than the opportunity to talk about it), and the other is the puppet, who aspires to cut its strings and usurp the crown. Both parties are woefully immature, myopic, and shortsighted, while also conceited, ignorant, and utterly without consideration of context in their decision making. This dystopia, as a result, is self-perpetuating…and empowered by a human resource group that is slave to and complicit with what they should instead be challenging. It is a sad story that comes as no surprise to anyone with a modicum of success running a neighborhood lemonade stand.

As to the other never-ending saga at Stratasys – yes, there is conflict between the regional groups and the ‘corporate’ functions based in Israel. This is no different than many other multinational corporations and boils down to the complete inability of the last several iterations of c-suite and regional leadership to promote, foster, and invest in actual cooperation and collaboration.

A few additional points to consider:

1. As mentioned elsewhere, there is an active strategy to combat negative company and CEO reviews with false positives. This in and of itself speaks volumes.
    2. Talent development and retention
       a. Development is non-existent (notably so at the executive level – unnecessary when they have nothing left to learn).
       b. Retention requires your blind allegiance.
    3. A meager 401k match is also capped.
    4. Equity grants are political. See also point 2b above.

It may be implied that the ‘bad’ parts have all been cut out – unfortunately it’s the core of the apple that is rotten.

There are some good people at Stratasys – you’ll find those that remain sheltering in their cube or office with one eye looking over their shoulder. The others have moved on, by choice or otherwise, and are all the better for it.

In short: The culture at Stratasys is toxic – in this aspect alone does leadership actually lead.

Advice to Management

1. Learn to communicate – this begins by listening.
    2. Empower those around you – developing leaders rather than followers will in fact make your own job easier, never mind that it is of immense value to your customers, employees, partners, and shareholders.
    3. Put the enterprise ahead of your own agenda.

"Embarrassing Leadership, Ruled by Intimidation"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Stratasys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice receptionists, newly painted walls and office spaces.
    Fast paced, Challenging careers
    You can quickly learn defensive discussion techniques here
    They give out monthly Birthday treats free in the lunchroom (no cafeteria)
    If you like to argue, and constantly struggle to understand people (speaking Hebrew) -- then this is the place for you. They outwardly HATE Americans, referring to us often as lazy. They despise our culture and have no desire to assimilate to it. Not speaking English is just the tip of the ice berg. If you enjoy challenging communication -- apply here.

Cons

Icky environment (they rule by hate and fear)
    Zero job security
    Ever changing job direction (they don't know what's going n, so neither will you)
    Unqualified leaders in roles they bs their way through (the competition is about to eat them for breakfast)
    They hire friends based on relationships and often place them into positions they're not qualify for -- and then expect someone to teach them on the job (so many people are jumping ship)

Advice to Management

Throw out the bullying Israeli's and you might get some momentum back.

"Company putting fake reviews on their Glassdoor to improve ratings. Sure tells you a lot about the company"

I have been working at Stratasys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Pretty fair salary. Most people on your direct team are cool. I guess you could say they are trying to turn the company around, but it's not working.

Cons

Management is poor quality and confused in general. The smart people left. Working with Israel is terrible, as they want everything done their way and it's terrible for the company. Business there is much different and it seems they try to interfere with our business practices here. Many people around you are getting laid off, but people seem to be quitting faster than they get laid off. R and D budget keeps getting cut, so we are starting to fall behind the competition and it seems they focus less and less on developing new things, so this will cause they company to fail. Revenue stream is also not increasing, so good luck on getting any good raises or bonuses. That's why most people are leaving. Don't waste your time with this company. In 2012, it was great, not anymore.

Advice to Management

Lay down the law and stop letting Israel run your business in the US. Don't let them walk all over you and take action. Invest in R&D and stay ahead of the competition. Having a static revenue isn't a good business practice.

7. "Be apart of the change"

I have been working at Stratasys full-time

Pros

I have worked at Stratasys for about six months. In my time here, there has been constant change. Some are frightened with this change. However, with change comes many opportunities. I have been both enlightened and challenged in my time here. Being a fresh college graduate, I thrive off the fast paced environment and workload. My colleagues make it very enjoyable to come to work each day. One of my favorite memories so far working here is participating in "Stratasys in the Schools." Hundreds of employees had the opportunity to go into the community to teach Kindergarten - High School students about 3D printing. One memory that stands out is a 3rd grader said "Wow, you guys are really changing the world." She could have not said it any better-while we have lots of change, we are also making strides to make the world inside Stratasys and outside a better place to be. We have the right leaders in place to take Stratasys to the next level!

Cons

If you want to work at Stratasys, you must be a team player; willingly and able to help with the change. We cannot take Stratasys to the next level without EVERYONE.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the quarterly Town Halls where we not only hear from leaders but also businesses around the Twin Cities who are using our products. As we stabilize in the change, I believe we will be unstoppable. Direction and expectations are clearly laid out and reinforced through our monthly newsletters, Town Halls, and other communications.

8. "I am extremely excited for 3d printing future"

Pros

Stratasys technology changes lives even saves lives, every day. How can you not love that? Some amazing, and brilliant people work here. Even if some people think the company is chaos and onfusion, among chaos and confusion births opportunity, change and success for others. I have, what I consider great work life balance. If others do not agree, they were not managing their time. You will succeed, if you choose to.

Cons

You will need to work, to get ahead. Keep an open mind and be flexible and open to change. Technology and future are all about change.

Advice to Management

Keep the open communication going, we love it. The more communication the better. It helps us feel connected to leadership and company future.

"Great place to grow a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Stratasys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stratasys operates like a 30-year old start up: high growth, cutting-edge technology, sharp industry professionals who know their stuff and are passionate about what we're doing and where we're headed. If you enjoy working with smart, driven colleagues coupled with challenging and engaging work, then this place could be a great fit. The President of North America is a great leader who genuinely cares about people. He isn't afraid to shake things up to drive the business forward and yield results, but he's also a true people-centric leader committed to building a strong culture. He maintains high expectations of his team and all the employees at Stratasys, which pushes people to work hard, work ethically and deliver high caliber results.

Cons

If you can't handle some bureaucracy/red tape and ambiguity, coupled with a fast-paced environment and constant change, I wouldn't recommend working here. I'd heard lots of rumors about the Israeli leadership dynamic prior to joining, but so long as you can accept that there will always be some differences in how different countries conduct business, there's really nothing more to say on that front. Turnover is another issue that constantly gets addressed on this forum, but as our President stabilizes and grows the leadership team in North America, I suspect this will dramatically decrease.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing, and listen to your people along the way. We have the right leadership team in place to navigate Stratasys to the next level - it's truly an exciting time to be here!

"A future "what went wrong" case study for business books"

Former Employee - Management (Prefer to Keep Anonymous) in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Management (Prefer to Keep Anonymous) in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Stratasys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 3D printing technologies and industry are undeniably exciting, as are the potential future applications and growth opportunities. It's easy to see and feel good about how Stratasys solutions address current problems in manufacturing, health care and education throughout the world. And while Stratasys' leadership position in this space isn't guaranteed (and seems to be fading) there's a strong sense of pride and motivation that comes from working for an industry leader (being on the "winning team").

Cons

Too many to cover in detail:
    -Management in general (specifically North America sales management (toxic), global product management (incompetent) and the entire c-suite including the CEO, CFO and CMO). They exhibit a lack of focus and genuine appreciation for employees. Each has his/her own political agenda.
    -Too many changing and conflicting priorities.
    -HR does not serve the people; rather, HR serves only the agendas and needs of executive management. The HR business partners in the US can't be trusted.
    -Talent development is non-existent. Promotions are politically motivated and based on favoritism.
    -Benefits, specifically salaries, are below average. And there are deficits in the pay, treatment and opportunities afforded to women.
    -Very little work-life balance if you want to be considered an employee that just meets expectations.
    -Slow to innovate, slow to market.
    -Recruitment process and treatment of job candidates is embarrassing (just ask anyone who has interviewed with Stratasys in the last year).
    -Treatment of employees that leave the company is equally embarrassing and disappointing. Falsehoods and rumors are spread about employees who quit on their own. Exit interviews are inconsistent - you're lucky if you're given one, and if you are, don't expect anything to be done with your feedback (in other words, they aren't worth the time).

...There are many more cons not mentioned but in listing them all I'd be wasting more of my time than I care to. Also, as others have mentioned beware of the more recent positive reviews here. The company actually has a "strategy" to combat the negative Glassdoor reviews by having a few select, current employees submit overly positive reviews with exaggerations about how great the current state really is.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Practice introspective. Be humble. LISTEN to the feedback of employees and then take ACTION. Hire management with emotional intelligence (a clear lack of this in the North America region today). Exit management that is crude, toxic and/or incompetent. Treat employees with respect, including respect of a work-life balance. Stop the pattern of doing more with less, and instead do less with more and do it well... FOCUS. Prioritize. And stick to a plan for longer than a quarter. Work harder to build a positive work environment and overall culture, and realize that this requires more than hanging tag lines and posters on the walls, and putting on town hall presentations. It's about really connecting with people - employees and customers. Reinvest in the people and they will reinvest back in the company, leading to new innovations, increased output, and stronger performance overall.