Strategic Business Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Kohlhaas

1. "Alliance Manager"

Current Employee - Alliance Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Alliance Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Terrific culture where employees are valued and appreciated.

Cons

Could benefit from better 401k contributions

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job .

2. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and health benefits provided

Cons

No annual training budget or ability to advance within the organization = no incentive to remain for the life of your career

Advice to Management

Invest more in the employee rather than just being concerned about the customer's desires

3. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Data Storage Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the start of my second year at SBS. I have been extremely happy with the company, and the corporate culture. To the reviewer that said there is no bench time that is a complete falsehood. I had a month on the bench between contracts and never worried for my job. I'm extremely happy with the senior leadership and they are always willing to listen if you have a comment, concern, or even an idea. I have taken several trainings while I have been with the company and have not had any issues getting them approved or developing my skillsets with certification testing.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of one.

4. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Strategic Business Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of this organization is amazing. From Kevin Kohlhaas,CEO, on down they believe in and display the utmost concern for their employees. "Balance" is strived for from both a personal and business perspective. As part of the Storage Consulting Group, I knew that both management and co-workers had my back if necessary. These guys work hard and play hard. This is a fast growing small company with a lot of potential and the right leadership to realize that potential. I would definitely work here again if the future holds that in store.

Cons

I truly can say I did not have a negative experience with this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Aspiring company with growing pains and no corporate culture"

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at Strategic Business Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SBS has a quick hire process. All my colleagues seemed very nice. The company trusts you to do your job and pays well.

Cons

I barely met anyone in the company; I only met my boss in person when I was on vacation. For me, the corporate culture was non-existent. Training budget was also non-existent.

Advice to Management

Arrange face-to-face team meetings at least annually. Provide opportunities for training other than [whatever's free]. Grow your company slower with respect to your project management team, which was sorely overworked.

"Temp agenciy for Hitachi"

Current Employee - Data Storage Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience, leave at first opportunity.

Cons

Company is currently laying off Senior Engineers due to re-structuring of it main client Hitachi Data Systems.

Company does not honor or pay for accrued vacation/benefits when laying of workers.

Advice to Management

Please review your employee management practices. Could lead to trouble.

"Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - SAN/NAS Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - SAN/NAS Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible with accomodating your personal needs. Works hard to keep employees informed.

Cons

Pretty much all the jobs involve travel.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job!

"Room for improvement, could be a great place to work at."

Current Employee - Consultant in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to get exposure to a lot of different technology. Small company atmosphere, so you can make an impact. You can travel and see places.

Cons

Severe lack of communication. No career path or advancement. The company is a body shop of engineers not consultants. You have to be in the inner circle to advance. There is a lack of vision in the company.

Advice to Management

Innovate or be marginalized.

"They promise you the world until you sign their employment offer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

You will get paid. You will be insured. You will be able to travel to client sites.

Cons

This company is essentially a temp agency. They fill positions for large corporations (Dell, EMC, VMware, and Northrop). Most of their contracts can be canceled with little notice leaving employees without a job if they cannot find a new position. There is also a 0% bench time policy. If your job ends, your employment will be terminated. The business was thriving until it was sold to BRCD in 2008 and then started to crumble with the same management team that was in place. Management was disengaged after the sale to Brocade and never made any attempts to grow the business causing salary and hiring freezes for several years.

Pay and insurance benefits are below industry standards.
    401K benefits - not worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Please stop listening to the lady in charge. Implement annual employment reviews and start paying attention to employee needs to perform and complete tasks.

"Worried about when you will be cut.."

Former Employee - Brocade Solutions Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Brocade Solutions Consultant in Herndon, VA

Pros

Honestly, beause you have no other options. Do get paid on time.

Cons

Lets start from day one. You are hearded on a conf call, given your computer and told to speak to your manager immediately. You are billable and you have no bench time. Training will always be available if it is free, done on your time and you can make up for the lost billable hours later. When you travel you will find your stipends to be coach class if your lucky and you find they control the travel very tightly. You will learn quickly that $46 per day in food in NYC does not go far. Communication from the managers is poor. Basically, take it or leave it. H-1B visas folks are favorites because they work cheap and do not speak up. Comes down to just do it because James or Kevin will be upset with someone challenging their authority.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if Brocade Services was sent back to where it belongs..