Strategic Forecasting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

2.8
George Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Peculiar Place, Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Strategic Forecasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Stratfor is never boring and there's no better place to keep up with world events (or argue with others about their meaning). While some personalities are difficult and the environment can be intense, it is a pleasure to work with smart, passionate people.

Cons

The tension between the drive to be a better intelligence operation and the pull to be a more successful business has made the company unstable in the past. That instability has taken its toll on the staff in the form of unexpected layoffs, restructuring, under-staffing, and stagnant wages.

Advice to Management

If balance can be reached between effective intelligence and profitability Stratfor could be what we all have always wanted it to be: a fascinating place to work AND a place you have have a career.

"Squandered potential."

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Strategic Forecasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Nice offices. Good people. Intelligent co-workers who work hard. Casual work environment. Good happy hours for the stream of employees who leave.

Cons

The company has been taken over by venture capitalists and at this point they're putting lipstick on a pig. Trying to polish the surface with a new website while starving the content creators. Truly talented analysts are gone, save a few. I'd be surprised if the place isn't closed in 18 months.

Advice to Management

You shouldn't have bought a business that you know nothing about. More importantly you don't even like what we produce and it shows.

"Company going thru re-org"

I worked at Strategic Forecasting full-time

Pros

Not much. Free snacks and a new office, I guess.

Cons

Lots of layoffs, no job security, toxic work environment. Company just got rid of the director of HR if that's any indication. Comp is also very low. New CEO said he was adding 30% headcount - did exactly the opposite and fired a bunch of people. I'd avoid this company like the plague.

4. "Analyst Development Program"

Former Contractor - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Strategic Forecasting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are intelligent and knowledgable. Geopolitics is a great field and the work fast paced.

Cons

Roles are not clear enough. Current events never cease. The staff is always on call and will get emails and calls 24/7!

Advice to Management

Give people one day off and create clearer boundaries between work hours and the day of rest.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Small company feel, opportunities for advancement, interesting subject matter.

Cons

Poor management. No clear career path.

Advice to Management

Invest in management.

"Can't keep good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Pay is ok, but the money isn't worth the downsides.

Cons

The CEO is racist and sexist.

"Great intellectual environment"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Strategic Forecasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible colleagues, great environment for young analysts to grow intellectually and deepen their knowledge.

Cons

Management is working on fixing issues, but progress is slow. Low pay. Long hours, especially for more junior analysts. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, recognize the challenges of working very long hours for little pay and the dedication that is driving much of the company to work toward bettering the firm and its products.

"Fascinating environment, but their people are not their priority."

Pros

I had a great experience at Stratfor. My coworkers were the most brilliant, stimulating people I have ever been around. It was an absolutely fascinating place to work.
    Also, the culture encourages people to jump in and start working on substantive projects, and the sooner the better.

Cons

Stratfor almost makes people prove how bad they want to be there by not treating them very well. The pay is sad, and the culture is not friendly. People were flat out insulting sometimes. I get that it's their vibe, and it has worked for them. It probably attracts the sort of person that they want there. But just consider whether or not that's an environment that you want to live in, because you will definitely be living there.

Advice to Management

You do your thing, but you could be missing out on great people. Invest in them and they'll invest in you.

"An Interesting Company"

Former Intern - Research Intern
    Former Intern - Research Intern

I worked at Strategic Forecasting as an intern

Pros

Office culture is laid back and fun.

Cons

Employees are overworked and salary is low.

"intense"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Strategic Forecasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had some very bright and talented co-workers.

Cons

There's a push to have an opinion on everything and many readers see right through it, which is why Stratfor does not publish comments.

The company lost many great employees after the big Wikileaks fiasco. Things strangely continued as if nothing had happened, but many working for the company were blindsided by allegations of events that took place behind closed doors. Turnover is high due to very low entry-level salaries and an abysmal work/life balance. Weekends and around-the-clock "world watch" shifts are regularly expected and not compensated. Prematurely grey hair and ulcers abound.

The company is modeled after CIA collection techniques, but disparages government agencies often. Also, everyone is subject to the whims and moods of George Friedman (who has a chip on his shoulder and gets tetchy about both the CIA and academia), making it an uncomfortable environment, especially for minorities and women. It has the feel of a 'boys club' and you'll be considered thin-skinned if you don't go along with the teasing/distasteful conversations. There's no professional environment to speak of and HR does not have the sway to stop things from going too far.

It's hard not to feel paranoid working there. Many are required to be on call 24/7 and I was told from the beginning I might be "tested" outside of work by random people chatting with me about what I did to see if I would "leak" any big Stratfor secrets (ironic). There are also unassuming folks in the office watching out for rogue Stratforers. It's weird.

Advice to Management

give your workers free massages and some therapy