Strategic Fundraising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Bills

1. "One heck of a roller coaster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

Pros

You get to work with great people everyday. They are very good with scheduling and giving time off when you ask for it.

Cons

I would have to say that advancement is fairly easy in the company, however once you make it up to that level it seems the pay is very poor for the job. Other call centers offer much better salaries.

Advice to Management

Salaries are low. Bring salaries up to par with other area call centers to help retention rates and overall morale of all your management team members.

2. "Great Experience, It honed my verbal Sales skills"

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser (PFR) in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser (PFR) in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great Choice of hours,
    Compensated for consistent fundraising skills
    Continual training from your team leaders
    Fun community to work within with in office games, and lunchtime social events like company sponsored grill outs during the lunch hour

Cons

You get Cussed out by customers frequently
    Lots of disappointment
    Continual rejection
    You stare at a screen for however long you work

Advice to Management

Get better lighting and paint the walls a lighter shade to increase your fundraisers ability to deal with rejection by having a fun filled bright workplace

3. "Honest, ethical, meaningful-but not easy"

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is consistent and steady-I know what to expect day in and day out. They treat me fairly and while some of the policies are ticky tack, they seem to exist for reasons that mostly make sense. They allow me to dress comfortably at work, but they did ding me for my flip flops. I've worked at other call centers where my bonus isn't ever attainable and I can honestly say that when I work harder and get on a roll, my bonus reflects that. They also raise money for non profit organizations like Operation Smile, Feeding America, and Prison Fellowship Ministries-which are all really awesome organizations and fun to know that you are playing an active roll in helping people that need the help.

Events are pretty fun. They've done barbeque's, pizza, recognition for someone that hit a large number of money raised. Picnics and Christmas gigs. Those are decent with free food and some funny awards.

Management is very real-normal human beings that you can talk to and not feel like they are looking down on you. It feels like they row right along with you because they have all been in that position before.

There is a new bonus and it rocks in comparison to the old system. I expected it to get "nixed", but it seems like they are going to keep it as company policy. This is really lucrative to those that raise lots of money.

Free coffee is nice too. Building is fairly newer in renovation, so it's not nasty-the work space is pretty well maintained. Every time we ran out of something, they were happy to replenish (Kleenex, papertowls or plates). I've never worked anywhere that had free popcorn or regular breaks. Some call centers make me get a sale before I get a break, but that never happened at Strategic.

I like that I'm a Professional Fundraiser and not "just" another Telemarketer.

All in all-it's a good work environment.

Cons

It is politically driven, so if you aren't into politics-this job could be your worst nightmare. The base pay feels low for this type of work, and I get minimum wage for breaks. I will say that since I'm not working, it's not the end of the world-but it seems like a cheap move to only pay minimum wage for a break or lunch.

The temperature is sometimes hotter than what I'd expect in an indoor job. Not sure if there are AC issues, but seems to be the case.

I get rolled alot from one list to another. Some people like variety, but I don't like that much change in my work day. So-one minute I'm calling for a Republican cause and the next minute, I'm calling for a non profit.

Advice to Management

Consider paying more for non production time-as I'm sure you come off as "cheap" to those that are coming through the doors. Figure out the temperature AC issue for your Fundraisers.

5. "Fun, supportive work environment"

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, you just have to follow it. Raise money for political causes and non profits

Cons

Must like phone work to succeed.

6. "a great place to work"

Former Employee - PFR in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - PFR in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time

Pros

company people management, you feel like family great work and life balance

Cons

can be mentally stressful at times

Advice to Management

none

7. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Pros

You get to set your own hours which is great, but this is not a place that I'd want to work long term.

Cons

You do the same thing over and over again. It gets fairly boring! Also, a lot of people have been complaining lately about their checks being wrong.

Advice to Management

Keep up the enthusiasm. For the most part, you guys do a great job. You should probably look at promoting some more females.

8. "T-E-L-E-M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G"

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends.
    Work the hours you want.
    Management was ok.

Cons

Conning the elderly out of money, even if their husband had just died. I couldn't stomach how much I had to lie to the customers and push them to donate to the "political" campaigns we were promoting at the time.

Advice to Management

If someone doesn't want to buy, don't put down or threaten the person reading the script you gave them with lose of work.

"Destroyed by outside investors"

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Back when the founder was running this company, it was a fantastic place to work. A great family atmosphere with a focus on mostly conservative political candidates and non-profits. The founder was very generous with profit sharing.

Cons

Things went downhill fast after being acquired by a private equity group. They brought in a series of incompetent CEOs and people who had no clue about the industry. The new management decided it would be smart to play both sides of the aisle politically, which has backfired spectacularly. They also merged the company with another firm that had developed their own dialer technology. The problem is that the new firm didn't own the technology, which has resulted in a long legal battle.

Advice to Management

It is probably too late, but I would get back to the basics of what once made the company great. Focus on conservative political and NFP candidates and bring in some people who actually have a clue about telefundraising.

"It was a good place"

Pros

Family atmosphere Ability to work overtime

Cons

I have nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

None

11. "Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great office environment and very bright people working there. Terrific work-life balance.

Cons

The company is bankrupt. It ran out of money and closed its doors last year. Partly because of a legal scandal that scared off some clients.

Advice to Management

Maybe give it another try someday. It seems to be an industry where making money should be doable.