Strategic Partners, Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Michael Singer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde leadership at the top undermines direction and morale."

I worked at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modern, clean office facility; casual dress and environment; coffee and tea available all day; assigned parking; ping pong tables; nice lunch room; innovation is encouraged; years of employee service is recognized; modern office equipment and technology; a mostly friendly office environment.

Cons

Top management (CEO and CFO) are often at odds and with vastly different personalities and totally conflicting management styles. The CEO is exceptionally entrepreneurial, business casual, and possess very good people skills and business savvy. The CEO also has his attention divided by so many business activities both within the organization and outside of the organization, that he often loses touch with his senior reports and with most operational activities.

The CFO is effective and quite sharp, but micromanages to the point of tyranny. He lacks people skills and consequently motivates his subordinates through fear of his berating. He has no social filter and at times demeans employees publicly in a meeting or via a terse email. His day-to-day on the ground involvement with the organization, while effective, sets a very negative culture tone that filters down to the lower levels and fosters a culture where managers work to just try to stay out of his line of fire, while the CEO who often talks to the company about nurturing a unified and collaborative culture is often operating at 60,000 feet or is not around at all.

Advice to Management

This company for all of its outstanding success and innovative spirit needs to make a tough choice and decide what it really stands for and the kind of culture that is embraced by all of management. The CEO needs to focus more on the organization itself and on engaging with his senior reports, and stand up to the CFO in terms of regulating his management behavior and the negative culture tone it sets within the organization.

The CEO also needs to reconcile the often hostile relationship between the Merchandising and Marketing departments as the senior manager in Merchandising wields too much unchecked power over the often-changing senior manager in Marketing. The Marketing department is often in chaos with frequent senior manager changes and the vacillating between print and digital marketing objectives. Morale in Marketing is the lowest within the organization.

Customer Care needs to report to Sales instead of to Operations as the CFO is also the COO and the tone that comes down to Customer Care is to cut costs, cut down time on the phone, keep the minimum staff necessary, and be as efficient as possible - at the expense of giving quality attentive service to the customer, supporting the sales team, and elevating the team's morale.

2. "Take the Bad with the Good"

I have been working at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of great people that work here. Many people have worked here for several years, they are usually supervisors or managers. Occasionally, there is company sponsored treats like In-N-Out or the Habit. If you live in the valley, it is easy to get to. If you don't live in the valley make sure you are getting paid, because you can earn more in LA. It's a job and you get paycheck every 2 weeks. Great for people who don't know their value and don't mind being taken advantage of.

Cons

There is a culture of blame at this company that starts at the top. You have to threaten to leave in order to get a raise. The amount of time is different for everyone, but the bad always ends up outweighing the good.

3. "Sr Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice People, Positive Work Product

Cons

Too much politics in the office

"A company where talent, teamwork, passion and collaboration make a difference."

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strategic Partners is an innovative company that has grown 24 of the last 25 years. We have a great team, a can-do culture that is deeply committed to quality, innovation and especially the growth and development of our team members. We are not perfect and we live in a business climate of constant change, but we do our best to listen, learn and get better at what we do. I love the people here and am truly grateful for their many years of dedication, hard work, talent and passion. We have many people who have worked with us for 5, 10, and 15 years, and their longevity says a lot about the kind of place this truly is. If you want to see what Strategic Partners is really like, come visit and interview here or talk to the folks who have been here for 15 plus years and ask them why.

Cons

We look to hire and keep the best people who are committed to always improving themselves and the company. We are not perfect, but we strive to put the right people in the right seats and to leverage their best talents for success. Sometimes, when people are not the right fit, we believe it is best for them and for the company to find a better fit. We hope the best for everyone and always strive to be thoughtful, considerate and fair when change is required. We hope that type of engagement is reciprocal. My door is always open and I welcome feedback from current and past team members.

Advice to Management

Keep getting better at what you do. Seek the feedback of your team. Listen carefully. And to the team, we are all busy, working hard. If you communicate something once and you don't get the result, never forget how important persistance is. I will rate myself below as a thumbs up. The results speak for themselves, but I don't rest on my laurels. None of us should.

"Could be a great company but..."

Current Employee - Manager in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are very nice and want to help. They are also scared and afraid of being fired.
    Free parking & coffee
    Facility is clean and looks good

Cons

You are constantly subject to second guessing. If you don't like to be micromanaged, don't join SPI!
    The CEO's sister gets whatever she wants, including getting you fired if she doesn't like what you're doing. Also doesn't matter what deadline you are working on - if she wants your help, your project is not important. You have to stop working on yours to help her with hers.
    Senior level managers who have been there forever seem to get away with whatever they want - belittling people, insulting them in meetings, introducing products with little or no proof that customers want them. (A TON of wasted $$$$$)
    REALLY poor screening of candidates who are being considered as department heads. If the CEO likes them, they will be hired, even against the advice of other managers.
    Its always about saving a buck. SPI would rather try to reinvent the wheel than to buy one that works better and would save everyone's valuable time from having to try to develop.
    Feeble attempts to make employees feel good.
    Departmental reorganizations often seem to target older employees who have very successful track records. Sometimes it seems SPI just wants change but often those changes don't benefit the company. These changes are disruptive and waist resources, and everyone else pretends to be excited about the changes but honestly are scared to death of getting fired.
    Every main decision comes from the top usually the CEO or the new president. And usually the company just goes with the decision without challenging it. The only person in the organization that has immunity against being fired for constantly opposing the CEO is the insulting, mean-spirited CFO.
    Some departments have very high turn over. No one at SPI ever asks why.
    Is the biggest company of its kind but acts like its a family business. If your lucky, they will let you into the family temporarily but once they feel they don't need you, they will fire you.
    Benefits suck. Company match on 401k is a joke.

Advice to Management

Read the cons!

"Management Doesn't Walk the Talk"

Current Employee - Confidential in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Confidential in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice facilities with updated desks, chairs, computers, most co-workers are friendly, fairly stable industry with minimal layoffs over the last 10 years.

Cons

Upper management pretends that we have a culture of "family" and talk about "Who We Are" but don't actually do it. It's more like their fantasy of what they think the company should be like. The CEO has checked out and is busy with other ventures. In his absence, the CFO runs the company like Scrooge and is only concerned with the bottom line, with no concern over the welfare of the employees or the value they bring to the organization. Also, the CFO often makes inappropriate, disparaging comments about employees in front of them and usually in group meetings. The new President has no power over the CFO. To make matters worse, they only offer measly annual increases, so salaries do not keep up with market rates. Often, new employees are brought in at higher titles and pay rather than promoting loyal workers. Also, employee medical benefits contribution rate is extremely high, 401k match is very low, and almost no employer contribution towards other benefits. Employees in the Texas location are not given any value and are considered expendable.

Advice to Management

Replace the CFO. He abuses his position of power and does not work well with people.

"So Much Potential, So Many Shortcomings"

Former Employee - Credit Manager
    Former Employee - Credit Manager

I worked at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has great products and a great position in the market - EG Biggest Dog in the fight. Mid level management is extremely talented. Relatively good benefits. Good potential for advancement and upward movement.

Cons

Upper level management is often disconnected from day to day operations. Lots of finger pointing and refusal to step up and see projects through. Oftentimes refusal to eliminate individuals who are dead weight. Promotions often come in title, not in pay.

Advice to Management

Realize that often times the impact of a director is not due to the director, but usually the manager beneath them. Promote from within so you don't lose quality people. Compensate fairly.

"Politically Driven Corporate Mess--No Loyalty or Respect for Employees"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brands, nice co-workers, free parking, clean building, ping-pong

Cons

Marketing department has been re-organized 3 times in two years with different department heads and countless good, long standing employees let go due to restructuring. Huge egos and untrustworthy, catty political climate dominate the company. There is not much room for advancement and they like to hire outside the company for bigger positions. Employees are overworked and severely underpaid for the multiple hats they wear. No clear direction and the departments were very disorganized. Everyone out for themselves and no collaboration because everyone was so scared of losing their jobs or getting cast aside. Upper management hires their friends who are under qualified and overpaid--then run the department into the ground after they fire everyone.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and pay them what they are worth. Enough with the corporate politics and just do good work and appreciate ideas wherever they come from--learn to collaborate in order to make things happen and produce a great product.

"Intellectually bankrupt managers"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free parking, nice lunch room.

Cons

Sales management is insecure and opaque, creating significant disfunction through hidden agendas, second guessing, and creating an unpleasant and uncooperative work environment. Promotability is linked to being liked by Sales leader, and unrelated to results.

Advice to Management

Replace Sales leaders since they are the source of the disfunction. Company owners could produce much better results placing more professional and transparent people in Sales.

"The most dysfunctional and toxic environment possible."

I have been working at Strategic Partners, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best brands in the industry.

Cons

Environment - Toxic and dysfunctional with no processes and poor communication from top to bottom. No synergy whatsoever. It's every man or woman for themselves. High school mentality with 60+ year olds gossiping about other departments.

Organization - Many don't have defined roles. No published org chart. People are scared to tell you what projects or tasks they work on. There's zero transparency. It's amateur hour in a high turnover setting.

Management - Several are past their sell-by-date with an outdated skill set and no incentive to improve. Majority are in their role because of nepotism. None are the mentor type who you can learn or improve from.

CFO / CEO - Real tension between them both that filters down to the other employees. Both come from privileged backgrounds with zero social skills or genuine appreciation for their employees.

Advice to Management

Irrelevant because they would never listen to it.