Strategic Value Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Strategic Value Media Vice President Aron Sawyer
Aron Sawyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you are outgoing, have a strong work ethic, and are willing to put in the work you can really bring home a lot of money" (in 5 reviews)

• "It's a tough job, have to work hard, make a lot of calls, but you get out of it what you put in" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Making 150-200 calls a day to the same people over and over gets old" (in 5 reviews)

• "Inside sales is not for everyone but everyone who is sales oriented will enjoy this" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Be Motivated To Be Successful"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

Pros

-Great Base Salary
    -Great Benefits and 401k
    -PTO and Health Benefits
    -Competitive Environment
    -Great Branch Manager That Wants You To Succeed.
    -Additional Training If Needed
    -Friendly Co-Workers
    -Different Sales Projects (You Should Never Get Bored Due To Selling Different Industries)
    -Mon-Fri 8-5. Never Take Work Home With You.
    -Perfect Way To Begin A Career In Sales

Cons

Every job has its cons. This is going to require you to pick up the phone and make a ton of dials. It's up to the employee to adjust and keep the ball rolling. There is no such thing as a perfect job. I'm sure your idea of the perfect job is sitting at home with a cold beer in your hand watching your favorite show while getting paid for doing absolutly nothing. Its easy to find the job that pays for that house, that beer in your hand and the electricity keeping that TV on but this job is much more than that job to get you by. You take this job to build a career. We both knoe you want to make more money to just get yourself from one week to the other. This job is 100% on you to be successful. If you want to be successful it's up to you to make it happen. If you want to make more money it's up to you go get it. Nothing in life is handed to you. You had to work for everything to get you this far why stop now. The training and assistance to help you get better is there but its up to you to dig deeep and push yourself to do your best everyday. The phone doesn't pick up itself. The company lays everything out for you to be successful it's up to you to embrass it and utilize it to your advantage.
    The people on here giving bad reviews expect success to be handed to them. This isn't a job were they will hold your hand everyday. If you're not willing to work for it each and everyday this job is not for you.

2. "Loved my time at SVM"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Strategic Value Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the atmosphere and company culture at SVM. Management was always so supportive and encouraging. I made so many lasting friendships there. The best part is I really learned to sell. I would never have left is this pharmaceutical sales job didn't fall into my lap. Truth be told though, without SVM I would never have been able to get this job. I am on the path to a lucrative sales career because of the training I got at SVM. I'm eternally grateful!

Cons

There are a lot of ups and downs. People who can't take the downs don't last. You have to have a positive mindset to succeed. This is true of any sales job but at SVM we made so many sales calls that the downs seem amplified when you're on a cold streak. Good news is the downs are always temporary. Work ethic pulls you through every time.

Advice to Management

I seriously would not change a thing! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

3. "Great opportunity for those ready to put in the work."

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Strategic Value Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There has been a lot changing over the previous year at SVM and its all for the better for those who are actually in it to put in an honest days work. All of the negative reviews are likely people that felt like they were owed sales rather than earning them so they probably stopped working hard and then in turn stopped selling as well. With that said the culture in the office has only been improving by subtraction as certain negative individuals move on the office is as positive as ever, which is really refreshing and motivating. There are a lot of different personalities here but all of them are great in their own right. The potential to earn money here is definitely there the top earner in the office is making well into 6 figures. However it is a company that you will have to put the work in to be rewarded for it.

Cons

No free food. Except when the manager Thomas brings in bagels or orders pizza I like that haha.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in the fresh projects!

4. "An HONEST review- Raleigh Office"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Strategic Value Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to make GREAT money. If you are outgoing, have a strong work ethic, and are willing to put in the work you can really bring home a lot of money. The job doesn't go home with you- great for a work/life balance. Casual dress code, awesome manager, overall enjoyable place to work.

Cons

You're only going to get out what you put in. This isn't a con if you're money motivated and ready to work!

"Telemarketing Is hard"

I have been working at Strategic Value Media full-time

Pros

Higher base pay than most entry level sales positions
    Co-workers are friendly

Cons

Tedious, dull work
    Insulted on the phone
    Don't let anyone fool you, you are definitely a telemarketer.

"The Real Truth - A Comprehensive Breakdown"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Strategic Value Media full-time

Pros

Base Salary - $40,000 - You do have opportunities to get raises, however management makes it next to impossible to hit "goals"

Good Health, Vision, 401k benefits

You get experience selling in many different industries

Some company outings. That can be fun. Unlimited alcohol.

it does give you experience for much better jobs in the future.

The people you work with are all relatively young, and you have the opportunity to make some real connections and even friendships with coworkers.

Cons

Now lets get to the real truth about this company. This is what we would like to describe as a "revolving door". If you are not a superstar epitome of a sales guru don't apply here, and even if you think you are, think again, because even when you begin to do well, if you don't sell in an exponential growth pattern from year to year, they will make sure every day you are miserable until you quit. They do this so that they don't have to pay out unemployment.

Let's talk about the product. If you have any sort of moral compass, I would suggest looking elsewhere. The "Buyers Guides" for trade associations that you sell to companies look like they were created by a freshman in highschool who just learned how to code his/her first website. Its awful. Additionally, management brainwashes you into thinking that this product works, "its the best way to generate business!" Over time, and after speaking with customers and past accounts you slowly realize that nobody ever gets business from this. Here is why I say if you have a "moral compass" you should run the other way; You call every company from small to large. A lot of companies you speak to are very small mom and pop shops who really do need new business and are actively looking to do new things to increase their bottom line. Employees pretty much have to force an outdated sales pitch down their throats and rebuttle them until they cuss you out, hang up on you, or finally buy something from you. If they do end up buying from you, you pretty much just scammed them out of their small budget they had saved up to sell them something that DOES NOT WORK. You would be better off working as a vaccum cleaner salesman because at least you have proof that the product does what it's supposed to do. They make you lie about the retention rate, they purposely do not track clicks and unique hits to the guides because they know that nobody uses them and providing those numbers to potential clients would result in being "NO SOLD"

ALL LEADS ARE RECYCLED. If you are there for an extended period of time you start to realize that projects that you work on from year to year change. If you are lucky enough to make it past the first year at the company, and are given the same project, management provides you with leads that have been pitched every year for 5 years (or however long the book is active). They do not sink in any money to purchase or provide new and fresh leads, which makes the job extremely difficult.

Do not let management fool you into thinking that you are valuable. You are not asset to them. They do not care about the employees or company culture at all. They don't provide anything to the employees. They are there to line their pockets, but they have very much perfected the art of deception. The turnover rate at this company is higher than I have ever seen anywhere.

THEY PICK FAVORITES. Doesn't matter who you are, doesn't matter what you do. Management will convince you that every rep that works in the office is indeed on the same playing field which is false. They will give reps that they like hundreds of "inactive repeat accounts" in order to boost that reps number. They will also provide them with "hot books". If they don't like you, they will put bottom of the barrel projects and leads on your desk and then blame the rep for their numbers not being where they need them to be, resulting in termination. They have all the control. They create your destiny at the company. Not you.

Upper management for PSP sports (parent company) will come down every so often. Without naming names, the people who run the company don't even understand what the trade division does. Literally, Upper management has had to ask questions to reps of why our division "it is the way it is" because they know nothing about the product or our sales process. With this ignorance, they then judge you at the end of quarters and years and 9 times out of 10 they have nothing good to say. If you did 100k in sales your first year, they want you at 300k next year. If you made the company a million dollars, they wont be happy unless they make you 5 million the next year.

COMMISSION IS VIRTUALLY UNATTAINABLE. DO NOT LET THEM FOOL YOU INTO THINKING YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE REAL MONEY.

Its mentally draining. You are expected to make 200 phone calls a day. You are constantly being yelled at, hung up on, and you sit there for 8 hours straight with a designated "lunch break" doing the same thing, day in, and day out.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with fairness and respect. Don't play favorites. Give employees the same opportunities as everyone else. Update your product. Stop lying to clients and employees. Have realistic expectations for sales numbers. Be honest about traffic to your website. Make goals attainable. Make commission attainable.

7. "Tough, but can earn a lot of Money !"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Strategic Value Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get out what you put in. It's a tough job, have to work hard, make a lot of calls, but you get out of it what you put in. I enjoy the challenge of selling on the phone. Very casual dress code. Do not take work home with you. High starting salary, and able to make commissions on top of that. Manager in my office is really nice guy as well.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, not everyone want to be on the phone. You have to make 150-200 calls a day to be successful, a lot of people do not want to do that. No wifi in office.

Advice to Management

would be great to have snacks in office !

"...Where to begin?"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Strategic Value Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base salary for a first job, but that's the only thing.

Cons

There are so many, it's hard to list. Favoritism, a toxic company culture, dysfunctional executives and management, constant disrespect, demanding your employees lie, and harassing them if they have any sort of feedback to your processes. After being at the company for what's considered a "longer" tenure for their employees, I can honestly say it does not get better here. Get out while you can.

Advice to Management

Shut the company down. You are all failing your employees and your customers. This company runs on constant lies and has no respect for the fact that they're conning people out of their money. Not to mention, you treat your employees as if they don't matter. I'm sure someone will respond that this review isn't "representative of SVM's company culture," but that's a lot of BS, too. I am thankful that I had this job, ONLY because it taught me what a company shouldn't be and that is everything that SVM is.

"Senior Sales Rep"

Pros

I’ve worked with SVM for almost 6 years in the Overland Park, KC Office. I’ve had some amazing experiences with this company. I’ve had the opportunity to travel, earn a very good living, meet amazing co workers, and learn about different industries. This is a great place to start a career and figure out if sales is right for you. Some of my best memories is going on company incentive trips and having the time of my life- meeting other co workers from other offices- having EVERYTHING paid for!
    This is also a 8-5. Therefore, there is NO taking work with you after hours. You learn a lot working for a company like this- especially right out of college.

Cons

Sales— Think about it. Most people get into sales in order to be rewarded (commission) off the sales that are made.
    This is not the case with SVM. You will receive a “draw” which is frustrating to hungry sales reps . People who come in and work their take off want to be rewarded off what they accomplish. Every sale you make is going into someone else’s pocket. How is that motivating??

The “base” is tempting- but you will make $0 off anything you sell for years. I know that sounds strange- seeing how sales is predicated off the work you put in. I’ve seen hundreds of reps quit for this reason alone. Where is the motivation when people make sales only for upper management to collect? This is a frustrating concept for ANYONE looking to get into a sales career.

The product is another viable component to any sales rep. You have to believe in what you’re selling- it’s imperative in any career. A large part of what we sell is online advertising. Here is the problem- we also provide 0 tracking capability to our advertisers. In today’s society- you must be able to provide quantitative data (online) for your clients. We live in a technological era where companies can LITERALLY provide ROI to their clients. How can you possibly push a product where you have no quantifiable data to show it works, ESPECIALLY with our aggressive approach that is instilled on each sales rep?

On the “pro’s” side of my review- I took great pride in making those company trips. They were awesome. It meant a lot to the reps that qualified. Well- they were discontinued last year. Clearly, Management didn’t think it was important to reward those who earned it.

Advice to Management

Innovate. Adapt. Just because the PSP side of the business worked 10+ years ago, doesn’t mean this divisions needs to operate as such. Invest in your product! Invest in your employees! People are leaving (whether it’s giving up, or simply quitting) for a legitimate reason. It’s not all about how much managements will collect on a $500 sale- reward the sales rep who make those sales. Not with gift cards, but pay those who earn it- and do so accordingly.
    Create incentives. Get rid of the draw- lower the base pay- make it salary and pay commission monthly. You always preach about hiring “hungry” reps- give them something to be hungry about.

10. "It’s a job!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Strategic Value Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Biggest pro are the awesome people I work with. They are helpful, energetic and weird (in a good way). It’s an 8 to 5 telemarketing sales job with a more than fair salary. It’s not hard work but it requires determination and effort. I come in, I make phone calls until 12:30, I eat lunch and go on a walk and I come back and make phone calls until 5. The idea is to find the right person, pitch, handle objections and sell. If you can’t do the 200 to 250 phone calls a day and convince people to buy then this isn’t for you! But if you’re like me and have had some really crappy jobs, this is a Godsend. Don’t let these 1 star reviews fool you, likely kids out of school with their first job expecting an office and free lunch.

Cons

Rejection. You’re getting rejected all day every day. If you can’t handle that then grow a pair or find another job! Honestly, this isn’t for everyone and it requires work ethic and determination. If you are looking for easy street, please don’t waste your time and frankly stay away from this company because I wouldn’t want to meet you.

Advice to Management

Rope in the loose hanging fruit. There’s some low performers and I could name them on one hand. Get them out of the field and retrain them. I understand you can’t keep training someone but no one should go into month 2 or 3 without at least one sale. Put them back in training and focus on improvements, less sink or swim.