Strategy and Management Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Strategy and Management Services Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2019

2.6
Strategy and Management Services President/CEO Staci Redmon (no image)
Staci Redmon
  1. "Excellent through and through"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist Journeyman in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing employees, great salary, opportunities for growth and promotion, personable upper management, unique positions, outstanding work environment, work with the community.

Cons

Benefits, I'm supposed to put more but that is the only con in my opinion.

Advice to Management

No real advice to give, I had an incredible experience working for this company and only left because of a better opportunity that was presented. Management was outstanding to me and the team worked for while I was with them.

Strategy and Management Services2018-04-05

"Think twice before you go there"

I worked at Strategy and Management Services

Pros

This job is just that a paycheck. Helps to fill a gap.

Cons

The company leadership management team is sub par and the CEO is very difficult and almost impossible to please micromanagement style. Head the warnings on this company from others don’t make the same mistake I did. No raises and no employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Get an Executive Coach and learn how to be empathetic and engage your employees. Give them raises at least for cost of living. Don’t expect employees to give all when company isn’t giving back to the employees.

Strategy and Management Services2019-06-04

"Need more experience"

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time

Pros

i can not think of any

Cons

pay raises, benefits, no leave

Strategy and Management Services2018-10-22

"Don't Ignore These Terrible Reviews Like I Did!"

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are nice and easy to work with (while they last). Project managers truly care about the contractors and do their best to help them out. Highly diverse team.

Cons

Pay is low and employee engagement is even lower. The amount of turnover is insane! It’s rare for employees to make it past three months. Disagreeing with management is the best way to get fired. The leadership team is full of micromanagers who do not listen to your expertise, even if you’re a subject matter expert, despite the company’s sudden downturn. SAMS’ Open Door Policy is also fake. Employees who complain to management mysteriously end up fired. Although they claim you have freedom within your department, the leadership team is simply looking for “yes men” or those who can read their minds. No pay raises or bonuses were given while I was employed, and neither were the employee recognition awards that were frequently bragged out. When one employee makes a mistake, all employees are punished with new policies that treat employees like children. SAMS’ policies are also only upheld if they benefit management. Employees are often threated and belittled during meetings. Low performing employees are not punished, while high performers are just given extra work until they can’t take it any longer and quit. The extreme turnover forces the rest of the team to overwork, causing an extremely poor work environment. SAMS is struggling for business and continually chases after every random industry, further demonstrating the company’s lack of plan for success and inability to bring anything special to the market.

Advice to Management

Stop taking these reviews so personally and actually listen to what your employees are saying. These reviewers are not just bad apples. Fixing the office culture goes further than just baking for the office. Treat employees like people and not just numbers on a report and start listening to the opinions and expertise of your team.

Strategy and Management Services2018-03-19

""It's Greener on the Other Side"-well... SAMS is the GREEN side!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I have been working at Strategy and Management Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking for a company that IS the example of "It's Greener on the Other Side", SAMS is the GREEN side! I haven't worked for a company that cares about its employees as much as SAMS does! I have been working with SAMS for three years now and yes with any company there are pros and cons, however in my experience SAMS has offered far more Pros than anything!! Our team here is more like an actual immediate family and the corporate office is like the extended family! We have a CEO that treats us as family, she takes the time to truly get to know us not only professionally but also personally and she takes an interest in 'US' as well as our families. We are far from 'just an employee number' to her we are actually people. We get random and unexpected surprises such as an additional day of PTO, gifs or bonuses at Christmas, we even randomly received a Thanksgiving bonus for us to buy our Thanksgiving dinner for our families, not to mention we received VERY nice gift baskets for our birthdays! These are just a few of the unexpected things that are an additional benefit of working at SAMS-when the company can they give BACK they do to the people that make this company a success! They know the employees are what 'make' your company, not a corporate office. You are treated with respect if you give respect, you are rewarded if you do your job well, and when you are not sure how to do something, ask because this company supports their employees and wants to help mold them for their future! Isn't that what a good work ethic is? If you have an excellent work ethic and willing to do your job well then SAMS is the company for you! SAMS doesn't limit themselves to a single industry, they diversify work they go after and receive which enables them to stay well balanced and growing as a company.

Cons

As an employee I may not agree with EVERYTHING with SAMS but in all honesty what employee does? We could work a little more on communication with some departments at corporate but I am seeing improvement! Other cons that have been brought up in the past to my knowledge have been rectified!

Advice to Management

Some people will always think "it's greener on the other side" and it is sad to see that other people seem to live in a selfish mindset and the FORGET all the positive things! You do have very happy employees and ones that understand if YOU give 100% to your job, you will see positive things back. Yes our contract recently downsized but that is the nature of the beast with all government contracting. Sometimes the government cuts back and sometimes the government adds work and there are MANY external factors out of our control that impact that. PLEASE don't loose focus on those of us who do love working for this company because of a few who will always be negative. Some people, no matter what you do, it will never be good enough for them.

Strategy and Management Services2018-01-29
  6. "Some good, some not as good"

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time

Pros

Outstanding local management and PM.

Cons

Lacking in important communication and HR support for remote sites.

Advice to Management

More responsiveness to remote personnel would be to your advantage. Lack of timely HR support presents issues.

Strategy and Management Services2018-02-13

"Getting better by the day"

I have been working at Strategy and Management Services full-time

Pros

Until this week I didn't see many positives. I was one of the employees that came in and watched others get fired and hoped that I wasn't next. But this week I finally got the chance to talk to my new manager Sharon. I didn't think she would take the time to talk to me because I felt like I was one of the people that was going to get fired. Especially after my manager was fired and all the things people would tell me about her and Staci left me to think I wasn't valued at SAMS. When I talked to Sharon she told me straight up we were going to have a tough talk but if I was willing to make some changes she would work with me to ensure I was set up for success. She took the time to show what types of reports and information to give Staci. My other manager never even met with me once. Then we talked about the things I am good at and how she believes she can find a way to help me build on that. I was so inspired and motivated I felt energized and I finally feel like there is someone there that I can go to even on a Saturday for help.

Cons

Being in headquarters there is a lot of gossip that goes on because we don't always know whats going on. There are managers that aren't doing there jobs and makes other people look really bad.

Advice to Management

Sharon is really great when we get to talk to her. She needs an assistant so she has more time to help us. We need more positive talks even on the bad days and it would be great if we can do teambuilding stuff too.

Strategy and Management Services2018-02-09

"One Sour Grape"

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I have been working at Strategy and Management Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team all around at multiple locations. You are more than just an employee number, you are part of the team.

Cons

With any growing company you feel the growing pains.

Advice to Management

People leave jobs everyday for every reasons. Don't let one sour grape ruin the SAMS' vibe with hurtful comments. They have no idea where you have been and absolutely no clue where we as a team are going. They are upset. Let's move on!

Strategy and Management Services2018-01-26

"Small company trying to act like a big corporate company."

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time

Pros

The good people who have come through the company trying to make a difference.

Cons

The executive team's lack of managerial experience, maturity, and respect. Then having the President and CEO believe those executives can never do any wrong. There was great potential as with any small business, 8A, government contracting company in this area. Government contracting is a competitive field. However, this company does not have the right subject matter expertise in the management clique. The President's media presence is all hypocrisy. The corporate operations are not managed with integrity. Company turnover is pretty close to 99%.

Advice to Management

Turnover rate is so high because your executive team members are the ones running all of the good people out. You hire experts under false pretenses; you don't sit with any of your new hires to establish realistic expectations; you terminate your experts for unfair reasons; you don't practice what you preach; your executive team members are not 100% truthful with you.

Strategy and Management Services2018-02-05

"Don't walk, RUN away from this company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I worked at Strategy and Management Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Almost none. This company does literally nothing right. The site lead for my task was incredible. The company treated them like human garbage as well. They were the only one who had our back during the contract downsize.

Cons

The CEO Staci Redmon is incompetent, wildly irrational, and routinely contradicts her own corporate guidance. She has a staff with far too many personal cronies who actively detract from the company. Redmon has no problem screwing over her employees the second they are no longer financially useful. Taking away promised additional PTO. Everything in the company is micromanaged from Virginia despite the presence of an extremely competent site lead who should be named the PM. Staci and HQ prevent the local site leads from having any sort of meaningful authority while refusing to communicate honestly themselves. Simple things like 401k payments are non-standard and uncertain. PTO tracking and payroll corrections seem to be a mystery to this company.

Advice to Management

Send Staci home. Fire 90% of your HQ staff and hire people who are competent. Take decent care of your employees and bring your employee benefits systems into this century. Stop micromanaging projects across the country from VA. Empower the people on the ground. Don't promise things and then take them away.

Strategy and Management Services2018-01-25