Stratford School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 25, 2018

4.2
Shawn Weidmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Funds are provided to teachers for their professional development and growth opportunities within the company are offered as well" (in 7 reviews)

• "Teachers really care about the academic and social-emotional development of students and go the extra mile to help students in need" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay scale should better match Bay Area living" (in 5 reviews)

• "RIDICULOUSLY LOW PAY FOR THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU ACTUALLY PUT IN" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Top of the Line!"

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stratford School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since I began working for Stratford, I've found their curriculum to be comprehensive and very well balanced, including, for example, a social skills program and oral recitation of poetry. It has depth of rigor, and it is constantly being improved to stay in line with 21st century educational values and goals. Class sizes are small, students are happy, and they are challenged with high expectations. As a teacher, these qualities allow me to thrive and feel like I'm really making a positive difference in the lives of my students.

There is regular collaboration among staff, and we are encouraged to "leave work at work". I rarely have the need to catch up with schoolwork or read emails over the weekend, which is a first for me as a teacher!

I can't stress enough how respected I feel to have a voice with my administration. They listen to what I (and the other teachers) say, and they respond; they don't just pay lip service. This is the first administration I've worked for that actually comes to my classroom and helps me take down boards or helps with whatever else I say I need help with. They stand behind Stratford's policy of positive reinforcement for discipline of students, and they provide another layer of assistance when needed. Best teaching experience I've ever had!

Cons

Teacher salary, of course, is too low. Also, as is probably the case in any private school, it often seems as though parents feel they have ownership of teachers because they pay tuition. Parents don't convey respect to me as a teacher to the same degree as I've experienced when working in public school.

Advice to Management

Raise teachers' salaries, and be more transparent of salary ranges and how to advance in pay.

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Where to begin? First, thank you so much for sharing your experiences in such a thorough way – I’m delighted that you feel so well supported and are able to do your best work as a teacher!

I’ve... More

2. "Head of School"

Current Employee - Head of School in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Head of School in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Stratford School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative Culture, great training, warm, friendly

Cons

None that I can see

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jul 31, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from the perspective of a campus leader - given our growth, I trust you will find many opportunities for job and career development.

3. "Pretty Good"

I have been working at Stratford School full-time

Pros

Pretty good, lots of work not much pay. They really help teachers develop professionally though.

Cons

Not paid as much. Lots of kids inside the room

"They give you almost NO prep time!"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Jose, CA

I worked at Stratford School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for preschool teacher.

Cons

This school is now owned by a foreign company - and they have become all about the money. The TEACHERS care about the kids - but as you move up the org chart , there is less and less concern for the children.

Advice to Management

Use your staff meetings to give teachers prep time. Is STEAM so important that it should take the place of recess?????

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

First and most important, thank you for 5-years of teaching at Stratford! You’ve made a difference in the lives of many of our students and we sincerely appreciate that. While you’re right that... More

5. "Overall Satisfactory"

I have been working at Stratford School full-time

Pros

Great community of colleagues, most parents genuinely want to cooperate with the school in helping their child succeed. There’s uniformity across the campuses which leaves little to question, though still allows room for differentiation, creativity, and practices that best fit each campus.

Cons

Teachers are sometimes overworked and under appreciated. With the company expanding, it seems a lot of revenue is going towards opening new schools and less towards the students, teachers, and classrooms.

Advice to Management

Less movement or turnover in upper management to build better work relationships with staff, teachers, students, and parents. Less piloting and more extensive research based practices, before we implement something new year after year only to change or remove it the year following. It gets exhausting for teachers to keep up in additional to everything they already need to do and cover.

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

We couldn’t agree more - Stratford has an amazing community of educators and our parents are partners in the education of their children. I’m so sorry hear you’ve felt overworked and underappreciated... More

6. "Great Company but...."

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher

I worked at Stratford School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great growing company with opportunity for advancement. Excellent classroom and supplies. Students and parents were wonderful to work with.

Cons

I heard they took away the end of the year bonus which is disappointing.

Advice to Management

College degrees should have more value.

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for highlighting the opportunities for advancement at Stratford. Growth allows us to provide a quality education to more children and it also creates career development opportunities for... More

7. "The Most Special Place I've Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Stratford School (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely adored my time at Stratford, and would have worked there for longer if I hadn't had to move away. The parents and students are incredible. I haven't worked there for over 3 years but I am still in contact with parents and students. The curriculum is more traditional (think desks facing the front of the room, most teaching done whole group) but it really seems to work for the kids who attend. I loved the school and students so much that I never minded putting in the extra work to make everything super special- I was always recognized for my hard work by parents and administrators. After leaving this school, I realized what a special place Stratford was- I truly enjoyed going to work every day. Also, if you are well-liked and put in extra work, it is very likely you will move up the ranks quickly at Stratford. :)

Cons

The pay was quite low and I felt like I was living paycheck to paycheck. It's tough to make a living wage as a private school teacher in the Bay Area. When a parent found out how much I made, they were completely shocked. However, I was so happy in the classroom and my quality of life as a teacher at Stratford helped lessen the blow of such little pay.

Advice to Management

Consider paying your teachers more, add more technology to the classrooms- this is Silicon Valley, after all! Even as you grow, try to maintain the community-like environment that makes Stratford so special! :)

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing your reflections on Stratford three years out – what great perspective! While much has changed since you left, much has stayed the same – we still think our staff, students and... More

8. "A great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Stratford School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth opportunity
    Feels like family - caring and supportive company and supervisor
    Innovative - always looking for way to improve the program
    Students are the focus

Cons

Someone who has a fixed mindset or is not flexible to new approaches and new ideas would find it overwhelming and challenging to work here.

Jun 1, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Whew hoo, congratulations on 10+ years with Stratford - we are very fortunate! Thank you for calling out fixed versus growth mindset, we indeed are a dynamic school with a commitment to continuous... More

9. "Extended Teacher"

Current Employee - Extended Day Teacher in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Extended Day Teacher in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Stratford School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start career as a part time Teacher and eventually become full time.Enough room to grow,learn and implement by observing Teachers and management.Positive and friendly atmosphere and attitude from Teachers and coworkers. Supportive and helpful management in every steps makes any new employee very comfortable in this school.

Cons

Working hard and staying strong are the main key in any job.

Advice to Management

Hoping for the great management as every year they do.

Sep 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I couldn't agree more - if you're interested in exploring teaching as a career, then extended day is a great place to begin! You get to work with students and curriculum, become part of the campus... More

10. "Over 10 years in the books and counting!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Stratford School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Directors are available to support teacher growth
    -Stratford provides a large supply closet of materials for classroom use
    -Teachers are given money for professional development as well as money for purchasing items for the classroom
    -Collaborative environment
    -Great tuition discount for teacher’s children
    -Teachers are given curriculum to ensure students from campus to campus are learning the same main material, yet teachers are given choice in the delivery of the content as well as flexibility to do other fun activities the teacher enjoys sharing with his/her students

Cons

The pay is not as high as I would like for it to be, yet I still choose Stratford as my place of work. It is unlikely that independent school teachers will ever receive the same pay as public due to both entity’s funding. But then again, who enters this profession for the money and fame?!

May 24, 2018 – Chief People Officer

We're so proud to have long-tenured teachers like yourself - thank you, you have made a difference for so many Stratford students and colleagues. Congratulations on your 10-year anniversary and I... More