Stress Engineering Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Joe R Fowler

1. "Administration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stress is an awesome place to work. The culture is wonderful and it is probably the most ethical company I have ever worked for. Stress Engineering is employee-owned so there is much pride in striving to do your individual best to provide the best customer service to clients and to help promote the excellence of the company. Benefits are above average and it is evident management has the best interest of the employee. Stress sponsors a wellness committee to help employees adopt healthy habits and attitudes by establishing and maintaining a worksite that encourages environmental and social support for a greater quality of life. In the 10 years I have worked here there have been ample opportunities to cultivate new skills and challenge myself.

Cons

Some people are allowed to establish flexible work hours while others must adhere to more ridged standards.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of such a great team.

"Good work, terrible company"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Stress Engineering Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at stress engineering for well over ten years of my career. I met some great people (all of whom were my peers). As an engineer, I could work on just about anything that I wanted to work on. I had the flexibility of schedule, flexibility of client selection, and solved many challenging problems. I worked in the Cincinnati office, which was the satellite campus and was always looked down upon by Houston (main campus). I didn't work with those people much, but I can assume they have the same positives. Compensation was excellent. You could make a lot of money.

Cons

Where do I begin? First of all the management in the office I worked in was a bunch of folks with over inflated egos of themselves who treated their subordinates in a terrible manner. I was harassed by the good old boys club. The company chews up young employees. Forced overtime is common.

If you didn't fit the culture then they found ways to harass you until you quit. There were really good engineers who were mistreated until they quit. They met every requirement of the job but were forced out because they couldn't be controlled or were unfriendly to senior management and there culture. I watched several peers around me get pushed out the door and I didn't think it could happen to me. I saw it all around me but was mistaken. I expected to retire here.

At review time some management would force subordinates to gang up on people they didn't like or were fall guys for poor project performance to hide their own deficiencies.

Management has there own rules. They could say and do as they pleased. It was a toxic environment.

There was no training for employees.

If you are considering employment here you should not. Its a broken company with terrible management. There was no diversity at this company. Friends and family only.

Advice to Management

There is nothing they would listen to. With no human resources team to protect the employees management could do as they please without fear. If you have no moral compass this is the place for you.

3. "Accounts Receivable/Collections"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable/Collections in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable/Collections in Cypress, TX

I worked at Stress Engineering Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee owned company. Family oriented fell with good people. Close to home. Conveniently located. For the most part not micro managed.

Cons

Unorganized. Does not follow client specifics on the po. To many old school values. To many employees that should retire and give the younger engineers a chance.

Advice to Management

Follow client guidelines for payment of services. Stop spending money on unnecessary expenses and keep good employees like myself instead of laying them off.

5. "Great place"

Pros

At Stress Engineering you are allow a lot if freedom. There are a lot of very smart people that work there.

Cons

At Stress Engineering there is very little management and your success or failure is completely dependent on you and not on anyone else.

Advice to Management

Include more training and

6. "Lab Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Stress Engineering Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

All your safety equipment is provided for you. Lunch is provided for you every day. You get to work overtime. Working inside a shop most of the time is nicer than outside in the heat and cold.

Cons

There is no work/life balance. You are there to work as long they want you too and this causes problems with quality of work being done due overworked people. You are looked down on if you are not willing to work 12 to 14 hours a day 6 and 7 days a week. If you do not want to have a family life of any kind this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

None would be accepted, they are always right and everyone else is wrong.

7. "Friends of Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Compensation at stress is better than at most companies in the region. The work is challenging. You get to use fundamentals that you learned in college. You get your own office.

Cons

Good old boys club. Friends of management get special treatment. Not subject to billing requirements of the rest of the staff. Billing pressures for everyone else are very high. Friends of management make work environment hostile and double standard leads to attrition in rest of staff.
    Business decisions based on personal interests of upper management rather than market analysis.
    Project management is handled by principals who are not current on technology or management. Leads to angry clients and staff.
    No internal method for communicating concerns to upper management. Raising concerns result in negative.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals for management legal and business planning. Look at new technologies and services.

"Great culture, helpful management, and very flexible."

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services full-time

Pros

I have been working at Stress for almost a year and my experience here has been nothing short of perfect. Management is always there to assist but you must approach them. People are great to work with but you can't expect them to know what you want; communication is key. Great work and social life balance. Never a shortage of projects. The company constantly brings in projects therefore, very infrequent downtime.

Cons

With 5 separate buildings, it's hard to keep in contact with employees.

9. "Employee Owned and Employee Valued"

Current Employee - Administration in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administration in Houston, TX

Pros

Stress Engineering is one of the best companies to work for. Turnover is the lowest I have ever seen in a company with nearly 500 employees. Employees are compensated well and there is room for advancement. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. There is a spirit of internal cooperation that remains even as the company grows exponentially. Stress values their employees and have always taken the "family first" attitude. It's a great place to easily balance work and family.

Cons

Stress is resilient and has adapted well to the growing pains experienced as the company expands.

10. "Intern in M&E"

Pros

Fun, relaxed working environment. Flexible hours. Want you to learn more about the industry. Salary very good for an intern position. Free lunch is provided!

Cons

Sometimes project goals were not very clear. If work is slow then it is difficult to find something to do.

"Old Boys Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

It is a great price to make money. Overtime is offered to all and not monitored. Free lunch is brought in everyday for the technicians and there is always leftovers. If you don't gain weight, you are working the system right.

Cons

There isn't much opportunity for advancement. 360 evaluations are a joke. Employees are petty and childish towards co-workers and this behavior is encouraged by management. Everything depends on what someone says and what management thinks (i.e. gossip is rampant and encouraged). The environment is constant backstabbing and gossip. Your success is based on who likes you and staying under the radar. If anyone feels threatened by your work WATCH OUT! Management does NOT like change and only tell them what they want to hear. If you are a woman, don't expect to be treated with respect. The men advance and the women set up lunches and serve the men. It is an awful place to work.

Advice to Management

Get new blood in the leadership, one that is open to change and does not encourage the abuses and misbehavior of the current senior management.