Stride Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Stride Consulting Co-Founder/CEO Debbie Madden
Debbie Madden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time

Pros

- Incredibly inspiring CEO
    - Lots of learning
    - Awesome people
    - Variety of projects
    - Democratic decision making
    - Zero tolerance harassment policy (safe space to work!)

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great Place To Work and Learn"

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Exposure to different code bases, business problems, clients, and work environments.
    * Supportive community of developers.
    * Supportive and encouraging management.
    * Learning.

Cons

There can be some uncertainty around assignments, but this seems par for the course of consulting. It's just something to be aware of in thinking about if its right for you. Stride does a lot of work, however, to reduce that uncertainty and make sure your consulting engagements are rewarding and appropriate, so that is appreciated.

3. "Best consultancy in NYC"

Current Employee - Developer Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great communicative company leadership that genuinely cares about its employees and understands that our success is their success.

Great pay, and leadership that trusts you to manage your own schedule.

Ever improving portfolio of great clients.

Lots of room for growth and career advancement.

Super interesting and emptheic co-workers with diverse skills and backgrounds.

All clients are in NYC and you don’t have to travel.

Cons

Health insurance options are not up to par with similar tech companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the great things you’re doing including the increased emphasis on hiring senior talent. Consider investing in improving the company’s branding and marketing, and revamping our benefits particularly our health insurance options.

4. "5 Stars for a Reason"

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership that actually cares about the happiness and growth of it's employees. Every place I've ever worked has said it cares, but Stride really does. It has demonstrated this multiple times by sacrificing short term revenue for the long term happiness of an employee.

Cons

Our clients are all over the city so we don't see each other every day. The client teams are getting larger so you see more Striders everyday, but it's still not everyone.

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to maintain this wonderful culture and hiring standards as we grow.

5. "Challenging work and no travel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Striders are a fantastic group of folks. It's a unique blend of intelligence, diversity, thoughtfulness and fun! For the most part the clients are also great. I've learned a lot during my time at Stride as there is always a new challenge.
    The work. Stride does technical consulting and development work that is core to its clients' businesses. Striders get to do this work without having to get on planes. This enables me to have a full life outside of work.

Cons

Not having the time to be involved in everything I'd like to be involved in. However I appreciate the ability to have work life balance and the freedom to decide.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and inclusive as we grow. I really enjoy being part of building this great company!

"A truly unique place to work"

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stride is, without a doubt, the most unique place I have ever worked. There are a lot of things that make Stride an amazing place to work but I will just touch on a couple of them.

The first thing that really strikes me about Stride is the support that you feel from the leadership team. I feel that leadership understands my personal goals and is dedicated to helping me achieve them. And the side-effect of an amazingly supportive leadership team is a culture of support that permeates through the whole Stride team.

Stride is the first company I have worked for where the core values actually mean something. The values don't merely exist as text on a page, they are substantive and no material decision is made without consulting our core values.

As an example, one of our core values is to learn from failure. Of course, in order to learn from failure, you first must fail. The leadership team actively encourages you to become better by stretching your skills (both as a consultant and as an engineer), even if that means failing along the way. Practically, this means there are few (if any) bounds to personal and professional development.

I could go on with reasons that Stride is a special places (including great benefits, flexibility, etc.) but I will leave it with the above.

Cons

Because we co-locate with clients, you don't get to spend as much time with fellow Striders as you might like.

Advice to Management

Continue to be selective with hiring. Part of what makes Stride so unique is that team members of extremely skilled engineers, but they are also just awesome people.

Also, Stride has a very strong reputation continue to

7. "Stride makes me feel like I truly belong"

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time

Pros

Stride's core values are real (not just on paper).

Caring and nurturing environment that is helping me learn and grow. As a female developer, I feel really comfortable at Stride and at my client. I used to have a fear of public speaking but now really enjoy leading client retrospectives and speaking at meetings.

Meetings are actually interesting and productive (I did not think it was possible but it is).

Professional development and content generation time.

Company is very transparent and my input is valued (even though I'm pretty junior).

Great work/life balance with fun monthly socials.

Really great people.

Cons

Challenging to get a job with little experience.

Only working with a few fellow Striders at a time on a client.

Advice to Management

Try to figure out how to grow our teams at clients so we get to work with more Striders.

Keep evaluating our interview process to make sure we are not declining great candidates that don't have much experience but have lots of potential!

8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time

Pros

The ability to help shape the company.
    The focus on values that are advocated for and defended strongly by top management
    The buddy/mentor system that helps a create a sense of community among Striders who don't work together. The mentor also helps with advice on your career advancement.
    A career roadmap so you know what you have to do to get promoted.

Cons

Having to keep track of time all the time. It's how you get paid as a consultant.
    Since we spend 5 days at a client we sometimes don't have time to do Stride work within the 40 hour work week.

9. "A Fantastic Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Software Developer Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Stride Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A commitment to employee growth supported by a generous budget for Professional Development and Content Generation.
    A culture of collaboration and respect.
    The opportunity to learn and work with a variety of technologies, at a variety of interesting clients around New York.
    A management team that is truly attentive to the concerns of all employees, where all employees are empowered to make their voices heard.

Cons

Working at client sites means that we don't get to see our fellow Striders on a daily basis, which is a shame because everyone is great! This issue is alleviated by multiple social and learning opportunities and an active Slack.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Being a developer here is great. The VP of engineering does a really good job of championing us at the leadership level so management doesn't make our jobs suck. Management is also very dev friendly. Clients are screened heavily and lots of business gets turned down because devs don't want to work on those projects. The vacation policy is really good, hours are flexible, and pressure is low. The VP of engineering will come by and prod you to go home if you stay late. Everyone's smart and friendly. Pairing and TDD are the norm, and the company is big on being agile (XP and scrum mostly) so you don't end up with the problems a lot of more old school companies face. You can roll off projects when you get bored of them and work on new stuff periodically, in fact you are encouraged to do so. And if you have a serious problem with a client (code of conduct stuff), you can roll off immediately no questions asked. Compensation is competitive and promotions come with meaningful raises. You can get nominated for promotion by anyone (yourself, the client, your peers, your managers, your mom, whatever), and even if you don't get nominated you're automatically reviewed annually. The company is small enough that you can go ask the CEO for stuff and it's not weird. She's also super friendly. Oh, and we get 10 hours a month of investment time where you're paid to work on your own side projects, blog, learn stuff, whatever you want so long as you're investing in your skills or the company in some way.

Cons

You're doing client service, so if you don't do well in social situations (and many CS folks don't) it's better to work at a product company. You're not just coding, you're also consulting, which means you're expected to guide the client toward good processes, which is more about people skills than software skills. You're also held to a higher standard than the clients' own employees because you're more expensive and are supposed to be an outside expert. Mid-level devs at Stride usually have the experience of the senior devs at the client. You have to hit a higher bar here which may mean taking a lower title when you join (although thankfully not a pay cut).

Advice to Management

Improve your brand recognition among developers. It's well known among management types, but not among devs. The company's big bottleneck is growing the staff, not the client base.

Stride Consulting Response

Feb 28, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for this insightful feedback! Great news - we have a podcast launching in April that's by devs, for devs, and we are really excited about introducing it to the tech community. We think this... More