KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Accounting

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Even though it's 100% remote, I still feel like part of a team.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "Inability to take time off(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stride is all about the people

Apr 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

100% remote, autonomy, lots of opportunities to cross-train / lead projects. The leadership team listens to the individual, encouraging them to find and work within their specific Genius Zone. Supportive team environment. Very focused on culture. Company is leveraging technology to standardize and automate as much as possible, helping us to differentiate ourselves in the market.

Cons

Fast paced, sense of urgency to advance and complete projects can cause you to feel stretched thin at times. Smaller company means limited benefits, although they do have the standard medical/dental/vision/life and 401k.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good company for remote work

Apr 26, 2022 - NONE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work with flexible schedule

Cons

Bach degree required but $15 hour

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Organization

Feb 2, 2022 - Client Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

First, I love working remotely - it gives a lot of freedom. I have ALWAYS received additional support when I have asked for it. This company values growth and development and in my experience, they put a lot of effort in so that all employees across various departments can grow. Generally, I am quite happy working at Stride.

Cons

My onboarding with the company was a little rough - felt like I was on an island alone at times. Sometimes management makes mistakes, but who doesn't? When it happens, they own up to it and look for ways to correct.

4. 4.0

Love the People & Learning Environment

Aug 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast Paced, learning environment with really supportive and smart people. Management went above and beyond to challenge me and help me on my journey.

Cons

hard to take full advantage of PTO

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fun to be part of a growing company

Jun 17, 2021 - Strategic Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being a part of a growing company with a defined and transparent strategy is really exciting to me. Stride has brought on a number of incredibly experienced and smart people to execute this strategy. I'm enjoying learning from all of their expertise. Working with individuals that are excited to help a company grow and improve is really motivating.

Cons

Seeing employees leave Stride has been hard, but I understand how this fast paced and dynamic environment may not be for everyone. Helping a company build a business is much different than just working for the company and putting in your 40 hours.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Pushing me to be a better version of myself

Jun 24, 2021 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

What I love about the Stride is that they are always pushing to improve. One of our Principles is that it's okay to make mistakes but unacceptable not to learn from them. We're always making improvements in the way we work, the way we communicate. I've even taken what I've learned at Stride and applied it to my family, which has been really fun. Like how to assess my mental state (am I open, curious and ready to learn or am I being close minded and thinking I'm a victim or a villain) before I enter into a conversation with a client.

Cons

I don't really have much to say here. The training programs weren't great but they hired someone who is now full time dedicated to training / culture and we're seeing those training programs roll out.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0

Hard No

Jul 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I liked the clients and there were a lot of great accountants that worked here that I learned a ton from. However, those clients and great accountants have also left the company. Each and every one of them. This leaves zero pros.

Cons

Where does one begin? How about with the very fake sounding 5 star reviews? I get that they're trying to save face but we all know who in management writes them. "I love the direction Stride is going in"... give me a break. If the direction meant was South, right into the ground, then yes, agreed that they deserve 5 stars for being able to do that in record time. Turnover - Bad with names? Not a problem since people don't stay at Stride long enough for you to remember them anyway. Partners - 2 come off as incredibly fake with egos the size of Texas. The other 2 are cool but 1 is behind the scenes only and the other, the original founder, saw the circus these guys were bringing to town and sadly left the company. Raises - Comical. Bonuses - As real as unicorns. Benefits - Bare bones and unattractive. PTO - Your plate is so overloaded, taking time off is near impossible. If you do somehow get time off, you spend it stressing out knowing you'll drown when you return. Not worth it. Outsourced foreign support team - Instead of helping the US team, they cause more of a headache. They too are overworked, underpaid and frankly just aren't qualified for the job to begin with. They miss details like nobody's business. Nice people, but prepare to fix their work and mend client relationship's all the time. Meetings - Can one have too many meetings about other useless meetings? No and there should be more of them, they'd probably say. Principles - There's probably about 20 now that you'll need to memorize, never stop hearing about and practice, but not expect anyone else to practice themselves. Culture - Award winning! Just kidding. What very little culture that does exist feels cheesy, forced and more cult-like than anything. You'll probably be given a sweatshirt and a cheap plastic tumbler that they call swag but seems more like a uniform and prison cup. Bottom line here kids is don't drink their Kool-Aid unless you enjoy wasting your time and love feelings of regret. These are all just my honest opinions and feelings which are (so I've been told) inarguable.

16 people found this review helpful

Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are truly sorry that your experience with Stride did not align with your goals or expectations. In the last year we have invested a great deal into our organization by expanding our leadership team, prioritizing our culture, and supporting our staff. We are proud of everything our team has accomplished and we are excited for the future as we continue to optimize outcomes for both our employees and our clients. We wish you all the best in your career!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

I love the direction Stride is going in

Apr 18, 2021 - National Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Stride since a short time after the new owners took over. The best part is having a voice. Stride puts a lot of emphasis on Wisdom of the Group so, if you like a place where your voice is heard, this place is amazing. We also do a lot of work on personal growth and on process improvement so if you enjoy those things, you'll be happy here.

Cons

I've heard from some of the newer team members that the onboarding can be stressful - trying to learn new systems, new clients, etc all at the same time. The company has been working on this so i'm not sure if it's any different from any other organization. I suppose it's the nature of multi client work - it's a lot of people to meet early on.

9 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

AWFUL Management

Jun 9, 2021 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

There literally isn't a single one.

Cons

This company was so grounded and employee oriented until the new ownership took over in 2018. They become profit focused and literally drove out EVERY single existing employee (check Linkedin!) NObody that was on staff remains since the new CEO took over

10 people found this review helpful

Stride Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review. Let me try and address your comments and share some of my learnings. What I read from your review is that Stride was very supportive until new ownership came into the company in 2018. After that the company focused on profit and no employees of the former business remain. I also read your belief that management is in it for themselves. Let me try and parse this a bit more and provide a bit of detail that hopefully will be useful. In 2018, new owners came into the company. Yes, that is true. We entered this industry with the belief that the market is moving more toward “how to use the numbers” vs. “process the numbers”. Our strategy, and resulting org chart, investments, etc. reflects that belief. RE being in it for ourselves: For the first year, the new owners took no compensation at all and put 100% of the capital back into growing the business. We continue to invest 100% of profits into the business and continue to take below market compensation because we are very excited about the opportunities in front of us and want to make investments. Re turnover: A clear strategy will attract some and repel others. One part of our strategy is to create a team approach, with experts in the various functional areas of our business. This is in direct contrast to the strategy of the prior owner, which was to have individual bookkeepers do everything for their clients. Note that there is no right or wrong here, just a different approach. The prior team signed up for a role that no longer exists. When your role changes, that can be difficult. I get that. What I’m sad about is that you interpreted this change as a belief that we didn’t care about people. It gives me a lot to think about how you came to that conclusion. Not only have our intentions been the exact opposite, but our actions have shown that we have been anything other than motivated by profitability. Profits will come later. For now, we are deeply focused on building a foundation upon which our team and our clients thrive. I hope this is helpful to give you some insight into our approach and I’m sorry we weren’t able to find a way to keep you happy and engaged while also honoring our strategy.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Absolutely a complete waste of time

Apr 14, 2021 - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are none. You will see very quickly as you come in this company touts "Principles and Conscious Leadership" however it is all a joke. You get sucked in to all the buzz words and feel good then you are smacked by reality.

Cons

Turnover is continuous. If you were to listen to the CEO he would say individuals were not a good fit. "Not a good fit" that is the standard answer here. A client leaves, "Not a good fit", employee leaves, "Not a good fit". When you are losing employees and clients at the rapid rate they are when do you say perhaps the management in place is "Not a good fit?" They have lost 1/2 of their US based work force in 6 months. Read the "real" reviews. They all say the same thing. Transparency - They sell a lie to their clients. All of the work is sourced to the Philippines. Clients are not told. Clients think that their work is being done in the US when in fact you are just the face for a number of clients when a low level team of contractors in the Philippines do all the work. You spend more time fixing the work than it would have taken to just do it yourself. ZERO compensation increases. They talked and talked and talked about putting something in place. They finally get evaluations in place, and comp increases are not tied to that. Just more lip service from management.

12 people found this review helpful

Stride Response

Thank you so much for your review. It is always challenging to read criticism but it is also an opportunity to learn. Let me summarize my takeaway and share some things we are doing at Stride. At the core, I read that your primary issues were around turnover, lack of transparency, and compensation. I also read a lack of faith in management’s decisions (including how we use principles) as well as commentary about work being done by our Philippines team. I appreciate these points and would like to address both how we think about them and the actions and investments we are taking to get better. Team in the Philippines: Your comment created some sadness for me since your support team in the Philippines was very committed to helping you serve your clients. The increasing shift to our employees in the Philippines taking on the bookkeeping work is so that our team in the US has more capacity to work with clients to be better guides. What we learned from our strategic analysis is that we deliver a lot more value when we elevate the team in the US to be more in the role of a client success manager vs. doing the bookkeeping. I am sorry you didn’t see the Philippines team as your ally. Thousands of companies today operate back office operations in the Philippines and our team over there has many years of accounting experience. Do they need guidance? Yes! Are there cultural differences to honor? Absolutely. We are proud of this team and share openly with our clients, who we have found to be largely in alignment with our approach. Turnover: You are correct that we have had turnover so I looked at our stats. We are well above average industry retention rate in every role except one: US Accounting Lead. In that role, we are below average. There are a lot of reasons for that I am sure. Let me share two. First is that the team in the Philippines was not getting well utilized which made the workload in the US feel very high and drove burnout. I get that. It’s frustrating. We are taking actions to resolve as you will see below. Second, our expressed strategy in the US has been to have higher level accounting professionals serve as client success managers in the US. In a couple of cases, bookkeepers have been promoted to that role. In other cases, people elected to leave. I totally get how our strategy could be frustrating for a bookkeeper that wants to just do the bookkeeping Lack of Transparency: Your reference was to the team in the Philippines. It is never our intention to hide where the work is being done. From our standpoint, we live in a global economy and work is moving to the areas where it can be accomplished most efficiently. What I appreciate about your comment is the amount of rework that you said you had to do. As part of our commitment to training, we recently added 2 full time people to the training department. Compensation: You comment was about tying compensation to performance reviews. Interestingly enough, the current thinking is not to tie compensation to performance. You can read a bit more about it here: https://www.tinypulse.com/blog/should-performance-reviews-be-tied-to-compensation#. The idea is that the most effective performance reviews are for coaching and growth, not for compensation. And, I believe we could have done a better job putting a standardized compensation plan in place. Lack of Faith in Management: I want to honor your comment while also sharing my story. I believe we have been consistent executing our strategy of moving bookkeeping work to the Philippines so that we can uplevel our US capabilities. I can see how that can be unsettling for you, in that it sounds like you wanted things to stay the same and we are changing things. As the environment changed (i.e. Covid), we chose to shift with it. Our role in management is to execute on a strategy and adapt if the environment changes. I apologize if you took that for chaos. In this case, it would seem that an environment like Stride, where we are growing and working to reach that next level of effectiveness, is less appealing for you. Use of Principles: It sounds like you view our Principles as buzzwords. We founded Stride with a commitment to creating a set of guiding principles for how we want to build the company. You can read more about our principles here: https://stride.services/stride-principles/. We are certainly not perfect but we believe that these principles help reduce drama and keep us focused on what is important. Overall: While challenging to read, reviews like the one you wrote are great opportunities for me to self reflect. Thank you for taking the time to write this. For me, I feel bad about your experience and also encouraged that we are making the investments that I am confident will help our clients make better decisions and create an environment at Stride where people can thrive.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews

Stride Reviews FAQs

Stride has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 32 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Stride to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Stride employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Stride. This rating has improved by 10% over the last 12 months.

69% of Stride employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Stride 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Stride to be senior leadership, career development, culture and the cons to be compensation, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with Stride Job Seekers