Stripe Reviews | Glassdoor

Patrick Collison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Career changing"

I have been working at Stripe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Well structured and well run organization
    - Thoughtful and meaningful measures are taken to create an inclusive and safe working environment
    - Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with
    - Incredibly transparent culture. The culture at Stripe is unlike any other. I feel so challenged by my peers and the values that we all operate by.

Cons

- Although I've always considered transparency as a positive, I realize that an environment as transparent as Stripe's isn't for everyone. Success and failures are visible to most so be prepared to receive feedback, give feedback and move quickly!

"Defining experience of my career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stripe relies on a huge range of technology to build the best commerce tools available on the internet. In my roles as a software engineer that has given me the opportunity to work on machine learning infrastructure, user-facing big data products, and a sophisticated financial backend, among other projects.

The company does worthwhile work. I'm proud that we've helped put hundreds of thousands of folks in business online. And I love that we're powering platforms blazing a trail for creative people to earn a middle class living online.

Cons

There are always bumps along the road for any growing company. The continual changes in infrastructure, tools, documentation, and process can be disorienting at best and frustrating at worst.

"An Amazing Place to Launch and Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The level of internal transparency and trust will shock you in a good way. You'll have more than enough information to decide if Stripe is a good bet with which to start your career.

- Leadership (at all levels up/down the management chain) actually cares when it comes to diversity. They fundamentally "get" it, and are working hard on multiple initiatives in this area. Unconscious bias training is treated as table stakes and a starting point at most, rather than the silver bullet/checklist item that other companies seem to see it as. Recruiting also cares deeply and is closely partnered with leadership. Diversity metrics are fully available internally and regularly updated.

- Every other person is among the best around and yet very humble. They're all clearly experienced and capable, even as they go out of their way to help you. The hiring process selects for highly capable people who are also actively warm and kind, and it shows in the daily interactions around the office.

- Tech bros clearly don't belong here. Need I say more? Well, actually, I'll say a little more. I have yet to hear "bro" or "bruh" in all my time here so far. There are no ping-pong tables or a permanent games room (though people sometimes set-up Smash or board games after work). There is alcohol, but people only drink it in the evenings, and it tends to be a classy dinner with wine.

Cons

- Ruby used to be more of a pain at this scale, recently alleviated by a lot of internal tooling that's been brought to bear.

- Maintaining Stripe's uniquely warm and kind culture will only become more difficult as more people join.

- Our diversity metrics should be public. Public accountability is important, even if it doesn't make for the ideal press release.

Advice to Management

Continue to be proactive in tackling scaling challenges and being very careful with hiring. Invest even more in internal tooling for engineering and customer success. Publish our diversity metrics.

"Great time: smart people; moving quickly; high quality"

Pros

The codebase was improving dramatically while I was there, and people were unafraid to take ownership of their area and remove any cruft.

Communication inside teams and in between teams was good, and the company overall emphasized collaboration. The culture was great, though of course whether you'll like it will depend on you. I liked the coffee + books emphasis that it had over other similar places.

Transparency is high, and the Collisons were overall a good influence on culture. People listened before they spoke. I didn't meet a single people who was hard to work with.

Cons

Growing quickly; writing Ruby; sometimes difficult to understand how product decisions were made.

"Growth cures all ailments"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Stripe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing growth, great product, pays well, good benefits

Cons

Stressful, political, many people primarily focused on their work's perception above the work itself

"Good pay and food. Nothing else."

I worked at Stripe full-time

Pros

The salary, benefits, and food.

Cons

The equity is a joke. They'll give you a lot, but leadership has repeatedly told employees that there is no intention of an IPO.

Advice to Management

I'd be embarrassed to call yourself "management". Bring in some seasoned pros. Don't ever start a referral bonus program because employees shouldn't be conflicted on whether to refer people for the money vs. being honest about how it is to work there.

"Drive to Improve"

I have been working at Stripe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm inspired by the people I work with and motivated by the problems that we're tackling within the financial industry. I would recommend Stripe to anyone who is looking for professional development, likes to creatively solve problems around very developed systems, and is always looking to learn something new from others.

Cons

Our "stay humble" mindset doesn't always allow us to celebrate employees' accomplishments.

"Smartest people I've ever worked with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Team is incredible, the hiring bar is extremely high, so everyone I meet is extremely smart and driven.

- Bold company vision and mission. Once you join and learn about the product roadmap, you realize it's much more than just a payments company.

- Transparency culture. Everyone is open about the entire decision-making process, and communicates successes and failures across the company so we all have a realistic sense of how the company is performing.

- Opportunity for impact is extremely high.

Cons

- Interview process (for software engineers at least) is quite different from most other similar companies, so we lose out on a lot of otherwise-great candidates that end up being unprepared.

Advice to Management

Be careful to preserve the culture and hiring bar as we grow

"Looking forward to the next chapters of the company"

Current Employee - User Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- smart, driven people
    - clear understanding of how my work impacts my team and the company
    - clear vision for the future of the company, both for people and business
    - vast improvements on internal mobility, manager training, and inter-team communications
    - better growth structure and follow-through on building that out
    - comp, benefits, leave policies, and work-life balance have all been updated, overhauled, and given clear structure
    - regular check-in across company on company satisfaction, with updates on initiatives in response to survey results

Cons

- disconnect between belief in culture of transparent communication with solicited feedback and reality of private decision-making without clear feedback solicitation
    - growth has continued while sections of mobility remain stagnant
    - lack of effective means to express concerns about poor management without fear of retaliation or with confidence it *will* be addressed

Advice to Management

We've done really well in building out a better middle-management structure; rely on those people (and teach them to rely on their teams) first, then draw on your own experience. Otherwise, we risk not actually paying attention to what they're saying.

10. "Great company with great people"

I have been working at Stripe full-time

Pros

- Top notch talent
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Lacks clear career development path