Stripe "stripe s" Reviews | Glassdoor

Stripe Employee Reviews about "stripe s"

Updated Feb 15, 2020

3.9
Stripe CEO and Cofounder Patrick Collison
Patrick Collison
Pros
  • "good company with good benefits(in 6 reviews)

• "(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "stripe s"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Well intentioned company with great peers and growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been extremely impressed by Stripe since day 1 -- in how it composes itself facing difficult decisions, runs on the day-to-day, and goes above and beyond expectations on a consistent basis. Leadership is inspirational (listen to a podcast with Patrick) yet very grounded when the going gets tough. Our company values ("operating principles") are lived by the leaders and it does really trickle down through the reporting chain. I seldom find myself disagreeing with decisions leadership makes, and they are quite transparent about their reasoning why. Your peers are friendly, sometimes to a fault, and I don't notice much/any unhealthy competition in the engineering org. You can assume your peers are well-intentioned and are willing to hear you out fully, in the end doing what's best for the business (or, customer). A slight downside to this -- knowing the right people to talk to is an invaluable skill that isn't scaling so well as the company grows. The mission of the company -- grow the GDP of the internet -- is arguably pure and apolitical. There is a sense we are building core infrastructure for the world. It's nice not to feel conflicted about your work. I've been happy that our planning process is often long-term. You can successfully argue for ideas that might not result in immediate benefits, but will pay dividends in, say, a year. This applies to paying down tech debt to new products or features. Your argument has to be well articulated, though. Finally, as a medium sized company, there is so much work to be done and opportunity for those who are willing to go out and grab it (even if it's not always obvious). Ambition and foresight are recognized and rewarded, even if you don't necessarily have seniority or tenure.

Cons

Work-life balance can suffer depending on your ambition. Working a 9-5 is OK, but in practice a 9-6 is more common. (management generally seems to not care about hours worked, but actual productivity, which is a plus) Internal tooling, testing, and development speed (especially outside the "happy path") has been a drain on productivity as the company has grown. It's invested in, but sometimes can be rough. Stripe grew as a developers-first company, so some scaffolding and support from others orgs is missing. Engineers often have to take on extra responsibility that may seem tedious or unrelated at another company. Growth / education / mentorship is well supported, but you sort of have to seek it out yourself.

Stripe2019-10-28
  2. "Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Superb product with a lot of growth potential and a well-thought-out company mission/vision • Competitive pay and great benefits • Healthy, people-oriented culture • A lot of opportunities for personal growth • Leadership cares about diversity • Good support for remote engineers

Cons

• Keeping good work/life balance can be difficult • Processes and organizational structure tends to change very fast • Missing alignment on technical strategy between pillars leads to suboptimal decisions

Stripe2020-02-15

"Intelligent people, high standards, high pressure"

Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Surrounded with intelligent, driven people. Great benefits Beautiful facilities

Cons

Number of high performers causes a strange competition vibe throughout the entire organization. Everyone wants to stand out. Too many systems and information is spread out everywhere. Can be challenging to find an answer to anything. No or very limited career development discussions with management. Management are so busy in meetings that ICs have limited face time with their managers.

Stripe2019-12-29
  4. "good"

Former Employee - SWE

I worked at Stripe part-time

Pros

nice pay nice office nice people

Cons

office space is small but nice

Stripe2019-12-13

"Stripe — A place to be your best self, surrounded by folks doing the same"

Current Employee - Workforce Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stripe is filled with passionate folks all striving on behalf of Stripe Users. The mission and vision, to "Increase the GDP of the internet", is not some platitude that is mentioned and then moved past — it is an everyday part of life at Stripe. If you're not helping Users, if you're not increasing the GDP of the internet, what are you doing?

Cons

With a relatively flat hierarchy it can be challenging at times to get decisions made and to push changes forward.

Stripe2019-11-17
  6. "Challenging but exciting!"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Mission-driven and hardworking peers * Great pay and benefits * Friendly culture

Cons

*If you don't like working smart + hard, this isn't the place for you.

Stripe2019-11-19
  7. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for less than a year

Pros

High-trust environment Whip-smart leadership, with integrity and empathy Company invests in employees Lots of opportunity for growth and impact; challenging, dynamic work Great mission - increase the GDP of the Internet

Cons

High performance expectations; expect to work hard

Stripe2019-11-14

"What if a lovely startup was taken over by Google analysts?"

Former Employee - User Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stripe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Strong salary and excellent benefits • Opportunities for growth and international travel • In early years had a wonderfully humble, kind organizational culture • Relatively strong efforts to promote diversity throughout organization for women, trans folks, people of color in tech • CEO who is easy on the eyes and ears

Cons

• What was a really warm, friendly, humble organization has become pretty anonymous, increasingly cutthroat — the downside of extreme growth • Culture lends itself to overwork, imposter syndrome, anxiety • Ex-Google COO rules through intimidation • Retain or even seek out users who are really bad players (e.g., Trump campaign)

Stripe2019-08-08

"Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stripe continues to have a lot of growth potential and Stripe's business model is such that we make money when our users make money (vs. say, a company that depends on advertising revenue), so I feel like we really care about our users. The company spends a lot of effort/time to develop a vibrant and healthy culture that values people and promotes team cohesion.

Cons

Work and teams move very fast - so be prepared for organization growth and team movement.

Stripe2019-10-25

"Move fast, take ownership, learn A TON"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stripe is a place filled with brilliant people who come from diverse backgrounds AND are really kind and thoughtful humans. I have truly learned more at Stripe in the past year than I have in the last several years of my career (and that is no knock to past roles/companies). You are given the trust and autonomy to own your work and there are endless opportunity to take on work that really pushes you to your boundaries to learn and grow. The leadership team across all levels is grounded, self aware and a true partner in helping you grow and succeed vs someone to tell you how to do your job. The pace of work here is FAST. We ship quick, make decisions quick, pivot quick, but we ground that in intention and direction. We do not always get it right. But it is okay to make mistakes here as long as you learn from them and react quickly. I truly could not be happier that Stripe is my work home and I cannot imagine another company that would help drive my learning and career forward as much as Stripe.

Cons

Stripe is an intense place to work. As mentioned above, the pace is fast. We have a lot of great foundations in place but there is still A LOT to build and we are often building the plane while flying it. You are given the space & support to take time when need to recharge but because we are so ambitious in our goals, you really do have to be intentional about carving out that balance for yourself.

Stripe2019-10-25

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 101 reviews