Stryker Reviews | Glassdoor

Stryker Reviews

Updated June 2, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Stryker is a very successful company with great work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• Great company to work for with great people (in 75 reviews)

1. "Marketing and Sales"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Stryker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like "old school" selling this is the place for you - but it wasn't for me!

Cons

Management group definitely stuck in the "old boys" mentality. Poor communication of Management to Materials to Sales. End result is that the customer is quite often left in tough situations. Found it very unsettling to do have to potentially resort to not being truthful to customers. End result, it takes years to develop a good reputation and only a minute to destroy one. With that, I left my position. If you're a "Type A" personality that would sell your Mothers grave plot - this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

While the upper management ranks talk a good game, it's the people in the middle management that are hurting this company from potential increases in revenues and morale. Would consider initiating some outside resources to review morale, sales conduct, management conduct, etc.

"Sales Operations Analyst"

Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stryker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Laptop provided by company
    - $75 a month cell phone allowance
    - Insurance is one of the best around

Cons

Company, overall, is great. Avoid Customer Service/Sales Analyst jobs. Work/life balance is non-existent. Job expectations are non-existent.

"“They think dumb and happy works”"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Stryker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get paid a salary to work about less than 3 hours a day (and the salary isn't bad either).
    The work is easy, no issues with work-life balance.

Cons

Where to begin? A former employee quit, they had known I was feeling uneasy about my job. The complete lack of job satisfaction. It was summed up well “they think dumb and happy works” while amusing is true. There is no sense of urgency on projects. My senior will ask me questions about the system or basic questions. How are you supposed to be my senior?
    This place is a boys club and sadly, you have to play politics to get ahead. I don’t believe in that, I believe hard work and a strong work ethic will get a person far but not here. Knowledge isn’t shared and people will decide to throw you under the bus or make you the scapegoat.
    I’ve met some nice people who have cared about my success at the company. But for hecks sake, learn how to be a company and learn how to fire a employee if they have no productivity, don’t just decide not to because they’ve been there “too long” or it’ll be a poor reflection of yourself as a manager. You will never be a successful manager, good thing you’ve played politics.

Advice to Management

Please actually try to be managers and have keep communication open.
    I haven't seen Stryker's management yet, but I do advise that they take a solid look at Physio's and clean up the excess waste.

"Serious quality, ethical, and company culture concerns."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

- On-site cafeteria.
    - Campus and building are relatively new.

Cons

- Type-A, aggressive, cult-like atmosphere which is encouraged and rewarded. From the interview process through their everyday operations, this is the company culture. This type of 'group think' is severely detrimental to true ethics and an inclusive environment.
    - Throwing others under the bus in meetings whether they were present or not, encouraging public co-worker 'ratings' and rankings, and a strange environment that including ridiculing patients hurt by products.
    - Serious quality and ethical conflicts. When brought to the attention of several managers and supervisors, these concerns were treated as overblown. One such concern included a pregnant line worker inhaling lead solder fumes for 10 hours a day, every day, with no ventilation of any kind. (I put my resignation in the next day).
    - Weird insertions of religion into daily meetings and relationships.
    - Work-life balance was non-existent and salaries were not commensurate with experience, nor comparable to other companies.

Advice to Management

It's hard to know where to start... But if you want to see what happens when a group is overrun by type-A's and where that type of culture is dominant, review the floor traders of Enron, or the bank leaders of Iceland pre and post recession. The gravy train for medical device companies won't last forever, and the moral price to pay to be an employee here is too high.

5. "Poor Working Enviornment"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financially Strong organization and offers good 401K

Cons

Favoritism, Poor Management, Lack of respect for compliance. Most of all if you hate your life, you need to work for Production floor. At production floor, I saw first time in my life the way people disrespect compliance and hide issues under the rug. Management needs to evolve. Workload is overwhelmed on production floor and lacking engineering resources.

Advice to Management

Grow Up

"Avoid at all costs!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, MA

Pros

In the 9 years I have nothing good to say about the company. No pros to working here

Cons

This company is corrupt, unethical and represents everything that is wrong with the corporate world.

They claim to be a company and helps to improve people's lives with there overpriced medical equipment (you should see what they charge for just a basic screw)

They avoid paying their fair share corporation tax and import tax (using what ever scam they can, to not pay)

Some of the things I saw disgusted me, out right theft of the NHS money. I saw deals that had been made with hospital to stock more products than they could ever use (not illegal, but definitely unethical. Stryker knew this was to much stock, but only cares about the money)

And if you where to question anything (like I did) you will soon find yourself dismissed

If you care about your country and your health services, DO NOT WORK FOR STRYKER

Also

- Inexperienced and unprofessional management
    - Managers are bullys
    - Spend millions and fancy buildings, trade shows and advertising. But can't provide there staff with correct training and safty equipment
    - Inadequate database and software
    - Staff in operations are paid low, so they are forced to do overtime to earn a liveable wage
    - High turn over of staff
    - HR department is a joke

My advice is do not even consider working for them, unless your happy making deals with the devil

P.S. Don't believe all there hype like there awards for Top 100 best company to work for. (This award is only for company's who pay to enter)

If you do work end up working there save everything, emails, letters and make sure every time you are asked to do something get a conformation email from your manager and save it. Unfortunately this is a must when working their (most employees at Stryker do this to protect them selves)

Advice to Management

No point, they don't care or listen. They had their chance.

7. "Shared Services Center"

Current Employee - Shared Services in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Portage, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and seem happy to be at work. Coworkers and management are approachable. The enviroment has great energy! There is room for advancement. I would highly recommend working here.

Cons

Nothing. All is very positive.

"Jokers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, nothing to hard about any job that they have to offer. No other pros to be listed.

Cons

Management has literally no clue on what is happening. For almost a year now they have ring around the supervisor and department heads. So much so as to change HR managers who have no understanding of the handbook they are supposed to enforce. Promotions are all in who you know and not what you know. Supposed to have staffing of 8 persons, but literally only 2 of us know what we are doing, all along dragging people with us who have the inability to work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who your best workers are, they maybe gone soon and you will regret it. Sometimes the workers most vocal are the ones you should be listening to. Quality is just a fairy tail and only obtainable by those who care, which sadly are the ones left behind to sort messes.

"Worthless company for IT. Worst I've worked for."

Former Contractor - Desktop Support Technician in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support Technician in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Stryker as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, that's about it. Even though I saw an ad for Jimmy John's that I would make more than what I did at Stryker. Isn't that just a joke?

Cons

Just about everything else.

Management is some of the worst I've ever seen. Literally no communication what so ever to employees. I felt that I had been forgotten a majority of the time.

Terrible organization. I was moved 3 separate times.

I was let go with no reason what so ever and was not even given the courtesy of them telling me themselves on my last day so that I could collect my stuff. They had the recruiting company do it for them after my shift was over, so now I have to go through them to get the stuff that was left there.

I was also flat out lied to during my interview. The manager's exact words were "We are typically pretty quick to hire in people that we like". I then found out in my first week that they didn't even hire in employees in the IT department anymore. Everyone was a contractor, unless you were lucky enough to get hired in before they made this change. There were contractors that had been there for three years that still hadn't been hired in.

My advice for management: Get rid of all of them, they are absolutely worthless. I never once saw my manager in person and can count on two hands the number of times I had personal communication with him that wasn't a group conversation. Mind you, this was over the course of five months.

Advice to Management

Be useful. Actually communicate with your employees.

"Stryker Ethical or Unethical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stryker is a very successful company who will acquire various technologies (companies) to broaden their company scope. Their 401K is very good as is their bonus. Their benefits are in line with most companies of their stature.

Cons

Stryker is a ruthless heartless company. They are famous for restructuring their organization and as a result misplacing users in positions that do not meet their skills. Ultimately the end result in many cases is an employee forced to leave Stryker. Beware! They are ruthless!. Very discouraging. In 25 years of employment mostly in one company, I have never been treated so unfair! Shame on your Stryker! Their HR department is useless, they are zero support for employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. If you restructure your organization, have some compassion as to align the skill set of the employee to where you are placing them. You are pushing good people out of Stryker and it is unethical. Your HR group provides zero support for employees!

Showing 100 of 1,417 reviews