Stryker Reviews | Glassdoor

Stryker Reviews

Updated March 20, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits and recognizes the need for work life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Great company- strong leadership (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not an option (in 70 reviews)

• Long hours and very little in the way of motivation form management (in 35 reviews)

1. "GREAT COMPANY, NEEDS LEADERSHIP"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Stryker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits so many people who can teach you a lot.

Cons

You have to be part of the clique

Advice to Management

Just because someone is a great at sales doesn't mean they will be good at managing a team.

"Stryker Medical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I worked at Stryker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits were great. Decent work environment on the production floor with good people. Stryker was a great opportunity to learn many different aspects of the medical industry.

Cons

In the office/ management, people would prefer to step on your face and then ask why you were in their way versus work with you. Very little team cooperation. Very cut throat. The company speaks highly of employee engagement, but at the end of the day they will take your time, soul, and anything else you will give them. I found that I was putting in so many hours that my marriage and my health was being affected. Due to their upward mobility process you didn't often have the time to build any kind of relationship with your direct managers. And due to their unwavering belief in the Gallup profiling system you essentially would get management that saw every position as a stepping stone and not something that was worth their time and energy. Often times you would get a manager that was only in the position because they fit the personality profile Stryker has deemed acceptable for their management core and not necessarily someone who was a good fit. I knew many employees that would receive great reviews for many years and then everything would flip when a new manager would take over.

Advice to Management

When it comes to the advancement of people, look at the person and quit relying on the personality profiling so much. Not everyone can be a type A personality. Realistically, the company could use a little humility in its work force versus everyone thinking they are the best and their solution is always the right one.

3. "Stryker has a lot of work to do with Physio-Control"

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hopefully Stryker can help Physio-Control with all the issues they have internally.

Cons

Physio-Control needs some serious positive changes before they loose a lot of good employees.

5. "Stryker now owns this mess."

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are generally wonderful except for one who has a big ego. She's mainly a bully. Salary is above average and bonus structure is relatively decent.

Cons

401k match is not per paycheck but annually. Causes you to miss any gains on your balance throughout the year. Seems archaic to me.

Too focused on unrealistic deadlines and not enough staff to do the job despite being informed by key team members. In the last 3 months, in a department of 2 employees, 3 have quit. One who had been there for 6 months, her replacement, then the 3rd after 1 year. In addition the manager of this department has no training for this job so he is unable to assist the staff. This department is essential to new product development and it will be interesting to see how the company will make their December 31 release happen.

Advice to Management

If advice is given no one will listen. Have enough staff to,do,the job instead of running people off.

6. "Good Company"

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

Flexible, nice working environment. Good people. Management is responsive to the employees. Family like atmosphere.

Cons

A little disorganized. Slow to adopt new technologies. Management can be slow to act on evolving marketplace.

Advice to Management

The staff is terrific and managment is employee centric. As a small company, there isn;t a lot of upward mobility. But there couild be many opportunities to expand portfolia

7. "I enjoy the overall company culture and beliefs however within the divisions there is constant change and uncertainty."

Current Employee - Stryker Onsite Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Stryker Onsite Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being part of a global organization that is recognized world wide offers a great opportunity to network and gain valuable business experience.

Cons

There is a good old boys clubs within the divisions. Which often leaves fantastic candidates by the wayside. It's not what you done for me but what have you done for me lately.

Advice to Management

Create fare promotional advancement opportunities that do not involve the buddy system.

8. "Sales-driven organization with very engaged workforce"

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

The work they do it important to improving the lives of people

Cons

HR has significant turnover and outdated processes

Advice to Management

Invest more in human capital programs and processes

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking driven individuals with the goal to do great things in healthcare.

Cons

Has this vision of employee well being that appears to be great but is lacking in many areas. On site cafeteria has the feel and food quality of a public school. Poor vacation benefits. Poor work life balance and "flex" scheduling options. Very typical 8-5 company. Health/Dental insurance policy is the worst I ever had in my 20+ year career. Invest in your design team and create a better brand.

Advice to Management

Improve the culture and be more competitive with employee benefits. Relax the dress code.

10. "cool company overall"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Stryker as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

has great perks for employees

Cons

need better training for superiors

11. "Physio-Control - great work environment, but no sense of direction"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Stryker as a contractor

Pros

Coworkers and management that I interact with are all friendly, professional, and motivated.
    Not too stressful unless it's near fiscal quarters

Cons

I personally never felt like I had a clear goal or sense of direction.

Showing 234 of 1,303 reviews