Student Painters, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017

Steve Acorn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours are a part of this internship (in 16 reviews)

• This internship is A LOT of hard work (in 15 reviews)

1. "Student painter experience in Colorado"

Former Employee - Paint in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Paint in Aurora, CO

I worked at Student Painters, LLC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Be your own boss, painting skills

Cons

Materials were expensive, needy customers

Advice to Management

None

2. "Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Painters is a very highly hands-on leadership learning experience. You will learn how to effectively manage time, people, interact with customers, close sales, interview others, and train others a new skill. It is accessible without any other experiences and serves as a great opportunity for those who are looking for experience in leadership.

Cons

Student Painters expects a LOT out of you. You will work very hard for zero pay for the first few months while you're trying to go through training, market to customers, generate leads, close sales, and hire a staff. All of this time spent, you will be paying out of your own time, and gas out of your own pocket on the hopes of a profitable summer. The summer is also long hours, though with better pay. Many do not a considerable amount of money, and some do. Your earnings at the end of the program are based on the performance of your business.

Advice to Management

Take better care to train district managers (managers of branch managers) to be more available. Branch managers are expected to be always available, and they are relying on their district managers to guide them through a very difficult experience.

3. "Hard Word, Enjoy the Outdoors."

Former Employee - Production Manager in Lake Orion, MI
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Lake Orion, MI

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly unsupervised work. Get to be outside for the day. If you have a good crew of painters with you it can make for an enjoyable experience.

Cons

Manual labor, often 10 hours a day. Some things you have to do are rather unsafe or sketchy. Pay is mediocre at best. Early morning work hours to make the most of the daylight and avoid the tremendous heat during the summer.

Advice to Management

Train your crew managers better and provide them with better equipment. Train them about safety and proper protocols. Definitely risked my life a few times on the job, especially when it came to painting on roofs.

4. "Student Painter Internship"

Current Contractor - Branch Manager in Macomb, MI
    Current Contractor - Branch Manager in Macomb, MI

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn how to run your own business and get real world experience.

Cons

Large percent of profit goes to company.

5. "VERY hard"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

-very good experience
    -gives you a view into all aspects of running a small business

Cons

-senior management is degrading because CEO reaps all the benefits (money wise) of the managers, and he doesn't do anything really
    -VERY demanding at such a young age (never been more stressed out in my entire life- emotional breakdowns multiple times throughout the summer, and I'm one who loves a challenge)
    -LONG hours

Advice to Management

-be clear about expectations - the "average" amount of sales was not at all average, and the return that the manager makes is also very incorrect. At the end of the summer, I calculated my hourly rate, and it was about 5$/hour or less.

6. "Not bad"

Pros

work with friends, summer temporary hours, lots of available work.

Cons

Lacked proper training and had to deal with upset customers.

7. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Student Painter
    Former Employee - Student Painter

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time

Pros

Good work, learned practical skills and made some summer money, it's a typical summer job

Cons

If you don't have a hardworking or skilled crew you'll find yourself putting in a lot of extra work which cuts into some extra cash for the team, seemed the estimates for cost were occasionally off, not bad pay for the team (hourly) but my manager had a rough go of it

Advice to Management

Spend more time in training

8. "I Don't Know..."

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC as an intern

Pros

If you work hard and have a good area, you can earn good money. It seems like it can be a great learning experience.

Cons

This internship requires a lot of work. You must hire employees and go door to door to get sales. This is very tiring and can be down-putting.

Advice to Management

Don't just hire everyone that will let you hire them. If you know that it won't work out, don't put your potential managers through that stress.

9. "You Definitely Learn How to Fend For Yourself"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

I gained incredible leadership experience, and the marketing and sales training was fantastic. I now work in a technical engineering field, and the interpersonal skills I gained from this job were what pushed me above other applicants in my field.

Cons

Once you're "trained", which consists of 5-6 days of sales training and a day and a half of paint training, you're essentially on your own. Much more emphasis should have been put on actually showing branch managers how to teach our crew to paint. My territory was ~3 hours from my district manager, who spent most of his energy helping the one branch manager that was consistently doing better than the rest of us. Everyone goes into the summer with high hopes, and the attitudes of the regional managers keep us too pumped up to realize how miserable we actually are.

"Student Painters Columbia, SC"

I worked at Student Painters, LLC part-time

Pros

laid back painting crew
    very easy to get hired
    got to work outside

Cons

had to purchase own brushes (decent ones are $15)
    small compensation in respect to contract (~$200 for a $4,000 housing contact)
    ocupational hazard