Student Painters, LLC "college students" Reviews | Glassdoor

Student Painters, LLC Employee Reviews about "college students"

Updated Aug 15, 2019

4.6
Student Painters, LLC President Steve Acorn (no image)
Steve Acorn
Pros
  • "I worked as an intern as a branch manager(in 24 reviews)

• "Student Painters a very unique opportunity for college students to get hands on experience with business(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's a lot of hard work but no pressing cons(in 23 reviews)

• "The job was very time consuming and I would work long hours everyday to keep my business running(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "college students"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Branch Manager Student Painters"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Best internship for young college students learn a lot about yourself and the people around you gain experience running a business make money learn time management make strong networking connections and great friends

Cons

a lot of time invested incredibly stressful a lot of outside negativity surrounding the internship; people saying it isn't worth it, family and friends advising against doing it

Student Painters, LLC2018-08-21
  2. "A Unique Business Experience"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Athens, OH

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Student Painters a very unique opportunity for college students to get hands on experience with business. No other internship will give you the responsibility and freedom that Student Painters gives you. Spending a summer with Student Painters you will learn just how much effort, determination, and resilience goes into running a business and you learn numerous invaluable soft skills. My experience at Student Painters gives me the confidence to walk into any job interview knowing that if I could run my own business as a college freshman, I could definitely handle whatever job I’m interviewing for. I strongly believe that anyone can do this internship if they are willing to put in the effort to make it happen. I recommend this internship to anyone interested in business who has an ambitious spirit and an undying work ethic to make your vision come true.

Cons

They don't give adequate training for the painting involved. Many executives aren't knowledgeable.

Student Painters, LLC2019-08-15
  3. "Great Internship, Great Company"

Current Employee - District Manager in Streetsboro, OH

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coming back to Student Painters for my second year as a regional manager was the best decision I made. Being only 23 years old and saying that I helped mentored 4 college students and ran a business too, is a great achievement for myself. This internship is not for everyone, but I would still suggest that everyone try this out if you would like to run a business in the future or just to try something new instead of working at the same old summer job and not really learning anything. I have had a lot of ups and downs in this internship, but I will never regret doing this. With coming back my second year to student painters I helped oversee about $300,000 and ran a $71,000 business while profiting about $25,000. Learning so much from my first year doing student painters was great but coming back my second year with student painters was even better! I am very excited to start the full-time position for my third year with student painters and ready to learn even more. If you have ever thought about running your own business after college is over or trying to learn something new, then Student Painters is the internship that you need to get that ball rolling.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work and you have to put in a lot of time so you can be successful.

Student Painters, LLC2018-08-10
  4. "Marketing/Sales"

I worked at Student Painters, LLC part-time

Pros

Very informal Some degree of flexibility Some degree of freedom Working with college students

Cons

Poorly organized Very dependent on local manager mostly commission based

Advice to Management

Create more defined roles for employees

Student Painters, LLC2018-02-02
  5. "Regional Manager"

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Great network of people and learning experience as a young entrepreneur. Even though the company is not perfect, it gives college students a great chance at truly learning how to run a business and deal with the real world.

Cons

At times poor leadership and management due to one person having too much responsibility and people to be accountable for.

Student Painters, LLC2017-05-29

"Life Changing Experience- If you are currently interviewing or considering working here, you need to read this..."

Former Intern - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

First off, I'm not going to BS my way through a review. I'm going to tell you like it is... This isn't a scam, pyramid scheme, or anything like this. I have to admit, I had my doubts early. Yeah, we are all told to be on the look out as college students, and I definitely was. What I came to realize, is the Student Painters invested everything into me, they took the chance. My risk was time and opportunity. The company does have a royalty(that's how they make money), but to be honest, it was fair. I mean, there were not start up costs, or "fees", it was just me and the guidance of my executive, and the confidence and desire to win. I found out about this experience by someone stopping by my econ class, and letting me know about an info session. I went, I liked what I heard, and I got accepted to interview. After a tough interview process(in which I doubted I would get hired), I got the job. I worked as an intern as a branch manager. First things first, this isn't your grandma's internship. This is the big leagues, real life. If you want to push paper all day, sit in a cubicle after college, and have a cozy internship this isn't for you. If you want to have a "big name" company on your resume, this isn't for you(also you are fooling yourself into thinking that matters, that's just a company name, it's your story that matters. Drop the "cool" card) This was by far the most challenging experience of my life up to that point. I had tough days, and great days. But I learned to embrace the tough days, they were what my story so sweet. "A smooth sea doesn't make for a skilled sailor." Just remember that. This internship in my opinion, is the top training and development internship. You have a lot of freedom. I dreaded having to work a 9 to 5. You will meet a lot of really cool people and build your network. You are surrounded by the top students at the schools. It's extremely satisfying, growing something from nothing. I honestly believe that if you are someone who doesn't believe in that this opportunity can give you a really good learning experience, you don't understand enough about you. This program isn't right for everyone. They tell you that. I ended up making $11,000 my first summer. After completing this internship, I went on to interview for full time jobs as a senior. I interviewed at over 20 companies...and got every single offer I wanted. No lie, they ate my story and internship with Student Painters up. I have never been more confident going into an interview with Student Painters as my foundation. I got to turn down 19 job offers and take a salleryied with full benefits right out of college. I could have lived any where I wanted to. I know a lot of my colleagues never struggled finding a job, it was actually easy. I developed a lot of skills, I never thought I would learn: communication, sales, management, customer service, finances, budgeting, marketing, organization, and time management. At the end of the summer, I got a free trip to Mexico as well! Student Painters isn't the perfect company. Yeah, there are terrible reviews on here, I read those just like you. But the overwhelming theme is one of high praise. The bad reviews are going to come from the small % of people that quit, or don't do as well as they wanted, or the people who just made the bad choice. The people who didn't do as well as they wanted, had the exact same training and opportunity as I did. I just made the choice to win, and they didn't. In my opinion there bad review is just their justification in there small mind, that they are getting the last laugh. If they couldn't be successful, why should you?? Sad uh? Misery love's company..... Worry about the opinions of the masses, not the small crowds. Also, don't worry about your parents opinion. Mine were not totally on board at first, but now they couldnt imagine anything better for me. You're not gonna take your parents to a job interview one day are you? Grow up, and life will respect you more. A boring life is a wasted life.

Cons

The is a "decision making internship." What I mean is, the choices you make affect your results. For someone people, hourly wages make more sense. It's tough, you put in a lot of time. Nothing that can't be handled with good time management(which they help you with). It' doesn't interfere with school, my grades actually improved(b/c of time mgt). Sometimes you get a pissed off customer, that take time and energy. It's usually something you could have prevented. Summers are hot, but you get used to it. You will have less personal time, but the long term upside is worth it. ie $$

Advice to Management

Keep it black and white. Transparency is the best policy. I respected that about my experience but I could see how there could be grey areas at time.

Student Painters, LLC2017-01-05

"Please read this if you are borderline about joining/leaving this company"

Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC for less than a year

Pros

After acquiring the full experience of a Student Painters Branch Manager, where I ran one of the larger branches in our division, hired multiple crews, experienced and overcame more problems and failures than I swear anyone else in this company (Something I personally believe every Branch Manager believes), and made it through the entire summer up to an awesome rewards trip in the fall, I believe my perspective of this company is as good as anyone's with my experience. And that being said, I really want to get to the both amazing and not so amazing aspects of this company so you can make the best decision for you, and wether to dedicate your time to this, or not. Firstly, I want to get one thing out of the way. As I am sure most of you reading this review have noticed, there is a lot of dirt on the internet about painting companies that hire college students to run their own businesses. Before I was hired and ended up joining Student Painters, I actually sat down with and interviewed with another one of these companies on my school's campus before making my decision. I put a lot of research into each program before my next interview that came with Student Painters, or YEAA (Young Entrepreneurs Across America). I found out coming into that interview what you can see if you look just a little bit harder at all those online reviews. For every negative review I found (and there were a lot), there seemed to be few if any I could find specifically reviewing Student Painters or YEAA. In fact just here on Glassdoor positive reviews seem to out do negatives 10 to 1. In total I found like 5 different companies in our industry, and not one of them had nearly the amount of positive feedback as this company did. I believe there are a few reasons why thats the case and I will detail those in the following text. 1. Student Painters has an incredible family-like atmosphere that makes working here much more personal than business professional. Now let me say this, I did not get this impression at first. When I was working my but off on weekends in March and April, I didn't know much if anything about the atmosphere of the company other than the mentor I worked with that helped me every step of the way. It is once you reach the point in May where you have actually painted a few homes and started to make some good money that you start to see this side of the company. It is worth the wait. 2. Your mentor. I do not care about any other aspect of this company more than this. I had an amazing experience this year because I had someone watching over my business who would literally run through a brick wall for me if it helped my business by the smallest degree. In the preseason (March-April) I remember telling my mentor about a success I had, as well as a failure. My guy lived for my failures because he knew how much of a learning experience they would become long before I did. There was also a time I was mad at him because I felt as though all he wanted me to do was sell more. Like it was never enough. That being said looking back on it 3 months later, I was in a much better business position (which directly impacts your stress level, mind you) than I would have been had he not pushed me hard to go the extra mile. He knew what was best for me and pushed me to get there. 3. The Networking. Besides my mentor who has become someone I call for any advice at any time and a true friend, everyone else I have networked with in this company have this drive that just honestly inspires me to do my best. My Uncle once told me "It's not about what you learn in school, it is about who you build connections with". He couldn't be more right, and simply put Student Painters gave me networks unparalleled to any alternative I have at my university. The people crazy enough to launch their own painting start up are the people you want to be associated with in 10 years, which is where I believe will be the biggest pro of this opportunity. 4. Learning from your failures. If there is one thing I have taken away form last summer is to view any time you fail as a lesson, and that you must fail to succeed. Failure is a given with this internship, and where I learned the most is when I faced huge up hill battles. There had to have been at least 2 or 3 moments in the past 6 months that I truly thought I was done. I believed I was going to quit because it seemed like the logical thing to do. If I had followed through... I cannot imagine not having the experience I have today. If you think you are done and you're fed up and you just want to take all your Student Painters stuff and throw it in a trash can to prove to yourself that you won't take it, I beg you to follow my advice: Take a deep breath. I bet you I went through exactly what you're going through, and if not it was something worse. I overcame those thoughts and kept going. You can to. I kept my eyes set on the next day, thinking what I needed to do to be successful, knowing that success will always follow when you put in enough work. This mindset is engraved in me today, and its made me a better student, a better friend, a better man, brother and human for that matter. I do not see problems and failures as an endless abyss anymore, but instead a canyon I have to work at to build the bridge across. If it were easy, everyone would do it. 5. Compensation. Look I will not lie the compensation is good across the board. I made enough to live comfortably after paying for my living expenses the entire upcoming year. That feels good. There are others who made more, some made less. At the end of the day you get out what you put into it. It's above average pay for above average work. 6. College credit. I got 6 credits toward my degree taking this Internship at my school which was awesome and put me ahead of the curb on all my classes.

Cons

1. Failure. I know what you're thinking, I just put this as a pro to working here. Well, the learning experience you will receive from these failures is a huge positive. Period. But you have to understand that for every major failure you will endure at this company, you may face a hundred others that simply become overwhelming and discouraging. You will fail a lot and more and more with the more work you put in, but that is also how life is. I had one moment where I thought I had everything figured out. Then, next moment everything is going crazy and you're talking damage control with your mentor and you don't know what to do next. At the end of the day it was your fault, whatever reason it may be because the buck stops with you. It is your business. What my dad told me during this time last year is that I need to remember "business is never as good as it seems. But it's also never as bad as it seems either" meaning if you stay focused and work at it, you will succeed. 2. Work. You're working a lot and if you can't do that its not fair to the mentor that trained you, the employees that may work for you, or the customers that hire you. You will work your tail off, but at the end of the day, you may do it for those people, but the biggest benefactor is you. My friends would ask me over the summer how many hours I put in weekly. To answer that question honestly, I don't know. I wasn't keeping track. If I had to guess I would ball park maybe 80 - 90 hours a week in the summer. Keep in mind every manager is different, and works different amounts of hours. But if you cannot or are unwilling to put forth this work, you will not succeed or meet your goals. 3. Compensation. The only con here that everyone doing this needs to keep in mind you will not get your first check until May. Make sure you don't need income before then. There was a guy I worked with that sold a lot of jobs and was doing well before he quit because he needed to cover that months rent and had to pick up a job right away before school got out ( This was in March or so). That to me is just a waste of your time to go out there and make it happen just to walk away. Make sure your finances are squared away. I cannot think of any more other than to say that day in day out, this is a challenge. My personal advice to you is do not let this challenge (or any one for that matter) beat you. There is nothing about this opportunity you cannot do, the biggest impediment to your own success is, and always will be, you. Message to parents, My parents were very skeptical when I was hired. My parents were skeptical when I started coming home on weekends in the spring to lay the ground work of my business. My parents were skeptical at many points in this process. My parents are so happy and proud of me for taking on beating this challenge. They now take pride on Facebook, sharing my successes with their friends, hearing how proud all their friends and our family are of me and my business. We are human, and as I previously mentioned about the negative online reviews, I completely understand why someone would be skeptical of something like this after reading something like that. This is a lot of responsibility for someone in college. But so worth it. If I had one thing of advice for any and all parents reading this, is to be skeptical, BUT be supportive. It's a parents job to question things their kids say and do, heck they've been on this Earth a lot longer. My parents were skeptical, but when I got home after a long day and I didn't sell a single job, or I sold 5, they met me with praise and encouragement. To come home to someone supporting you can mean the world. Also I highly recommend parents contact Student Painters and ask to be put in touch with parents who experienced this as well- I'm sure it will have a lot more meaning coming from them than me. Heck, you might just speak to one of my parents.

Advice to Management

Overall I think management is awesome. From the top down everyone has their finger on the pulse and seems to really be able to identify problems before they arise, and help managers anyway possible.

Student Painters, LLC2016-11-01
  8. "If you're willing to put in the time, it can be a wonderful experience"

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

As a college student, you'll be working alongside other college students in running your own small painting business. The cool thing about Student Painters, though, is the support you receive: you have a mentor who has run his/her own business before, you have every other intern struggling with you, and you have the full time employees to lean on for help as well. The office staff is also incredibly helpful and timely. No company is perfect, but Student Painters's office staff runs very cleanly and supports its interns 100%. The experience you can get doing a program like this is incredible. You deal with all of your individual sales contracts, pricing, customer interactions, equipment, and best of all, problems. Obviously you have support from your mentor, but you are solely responsible for fixing your own problems and that is why this internship separates those that are ready to grow and those that are not. This can have a lasting a wonderful impact on you if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There is a lot of work involved in this program. Do not sign up unless you fully internalize the amount of work you will be doing. Plenty of people have gone through the program, realized it was too much work, lied about how much they were doing, and taper off and don't get nearly the experience they could have. If you're not okay with working every other weekend during the Spring and 50-60 hours a week in May, do not sign up for this. On the flip side, if you're willing to work and fail and pick yourself up, if you want lasting and marketable experience, $6000-15,000 in a summer, great networks, and great people, this program is the one.

Advice to Management

Keep getting better guys! You made my college experience great.

Student Painters, LLC2016-10-03
  9. "Senior Payroll Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Manager in Shelby Township, MI

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Student Painters is an amazing opportunity to give college students a chance to build their resume by learning skills such as marketing, payroll, HR, sales, and all the in and outs of running their own business. Interning with Student Painters gives students a leg up on their peers and have success that some people do not experience until much later in life.

Cons

You must be willing to devote a lot of time to this job which may not be for everybody.

Student Painters, LLC2016-09-14
  10. "Branch Manager / Regional Manager"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

The professional and personal development received is incredible. The culture is also perfect for ambitious, fun college students.

Cons

It's incredibly challenging. Your own efforts determine your success. It's definitely not for everyone, but the rewards are worth it for those who can overcome the challenge.

Student Painters, LLC2016-01-18