Student Works Painting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Great overview to learn how to run a business (in 7 reviews)

• There is also an incredible company culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The program requires a level of hard work and commitment that most students have never experienced (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours every day (in the first few months 80-90 hours a week) (in 9 reviews)

1. "You get out what you put in. Not a penny more, not a penny less."

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great senior management system that provides not only an exceptional support system but also valuable and lasting relationships.
    - Great systems in place to ensure success to all those who follow them. This part is important! If you take the experience as one of learning and development, and therefore follow the systems that the company teaches, you will be successful.
    - Great real life/real world experience and training in the many different aspects involved in building, owning, and operating your own business.
    - This company is an excellent example of a for-profit, social entrepreneurship. SWP is focused on helping young people develop their skills and making money doing it. Yes they take a cut, as they must in order to remain a sustainable business. They also teach young business owners, however, how to be efficient and profitable. This means that while making money off of what they provide, you (the franchise owner) can also make money off of what you provide, and you (the painter) can also make money off of what you provide.
    - Overall, the company provides a great service, and great opportunities for significant educational and financial gains.
    - Most importantly, I think, the company teaches emphasizes a healthy work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, have fun.

Cons

- If you don't work hard, you won't see desirable results.
    - If you don't follow the systems, you may still be successful, but it will be much more difficult.
    - The job is challenging for everyone, if that doesn't appeal to you, the job is not for you.
    - If you don't like the idea of a results based economy (one where you get out what you put in rather than making the same wage as the person next to you regardless of performance) this company will not appeal to you.

Advice to Management

Continue to always move forward and improve.

"Not entirely sure how legal this company is."

Current Employee - Painter in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Painter in Ontario, CA

Pros

Meet new friends
    Work outside (also a con)
    Casual
    Clients are usually really nice
    Learning experience
    Supervisor was really nice

Cons

Terrible/Questionably legal pay system -

When you're employed, they let you know about their piece-rate system. It sounds fine, basically, you get an hourly budget for every job. If the job is supposed to take 10 hours, and you finish in 8 hours, you get paid for 10 hours anyways. That's fine, assuming that the system for estimating the budget is in favour of the employee. It is not, not by a long shot. We were given 25 hours to complete a job that a professional painter of 20 years estimated would take 48 hours total with a team of 6. We were a team of two and because of how the budget works, we had 12.5 hours between two people. It's almost straight up theft in my experience.

Too much expected for the pay-

Hard, hot and unsafe work for minimum wage.

Weather dependant -

Was promised full time. There were a few weeks where I only worked 20 hours because of rain or temperatures being too high.

You can get screwed over by their hierarchy of responsibilities -

I didn't get my first paycheck until after a month and a half of me working. Even then I was only paid for the first two weeks. If you want a steady paycheck, look elsewhere.

Safety isn't a priority to these people -

The safety training was a joke. A complete joke. It was an online course that takes about an hour to complete if you do it undistracted. The "Tests" at the end could've been completed without watching the videos. None of the rules are paid attention to at the work-place anyways.

My advice? Stay away, far away from this company. They're taking advantage of students who are desperate to make ends meet. You'll work harder than you've ever worked before and be paid for 1/5th of it. Don't play their game, and don't let any of your friends play their game.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the piece-rate system, fix the payroll.

Jul 27, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

We are so disappointed that your experience with your operator was an unhappy one. Certainly it is very difficult to give specific feedback to your concerns. I do not have the back story ... More

"Great learning experience, very difficult to do"

Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA

Pros

Great ability to run a business at a young age
    Potential for huge profits given the right circumstances
    Get exposure to a wide variety of business tasks, basically learn how to start and finish a business from scratch

Cons

Sales training is provided but technical training on how to paint is very weak
    Management only helps out its best people
    Pyramid scheme type of corporate set up
    They milk you for everything you are worth
    They do not tell you about potential problems, leaving you unprepared to deal with them when they arise

Advice to Management

The system works well, but has high turnover
    It is a pyramid scheme
    Offer better support to managers and they will likely bring you in more money

5. "know what your getting into."

Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are two choices for students to take part in the success of Student Works Painting. Students can become a Owner Operator and actually run a business or to be trained as a painter and work in a business. Each choice brings a unique experience and provides a different perspective of the painting business.
    Owner Operators gain valuable experience with the operation of their own business following a tried and true process developed by Student Works Painting. You will be exposed to all aspects of running a business including; staffing, marketing, selling and managing paint jobs. This level of participation requires a high level of commitment.

As painters, students take on the role of painter or crew chief. This level of participation is focused on the delivery of service (painting) and customer interaction. The work is summer based and aligns with your need to work between university or college terms.

Depending upon the experience that you want, and the level of commitment you have, Student Works Painting has a role for you.

Cons

long hours. money not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

be truthful

6. "painter"

Former Employee - Painter in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Painter in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you are paid for the pieces you complete, so once you become more experienced and faster there is the potential to make a lot of money. Also, since you are paid for pieces, you can work as many hours as you want. If you're looking to put in as many hours as you can over the summer, then this is a good job. Its also an easy job to get hired for

Cons

difficult to make more than minimum wage when starting out if you have no painting experience. Also, the amount you get paid for each piece depends on the ability of the manager to negotiate contracts. some managers are not good at doing this, so even proficient painters struggle to make more then minimum. Also, some managers struggle to find constant work for their employees.

7. "Money"

Pros

Good Company to learn how to work hard.

Cons

Not enough guidance to succeed.

Sep 26, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thank you for your positive review. I am not aware of whether your role was as a painter, marketer or operator so it is challenging to respond. We would love to hear about how we missed the mark in ... More

8. "Student Painter"

Pros

Painting is fun and the days go by fast

Cons

There is a lack of training

Aug 28, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for the great review Certainly we are concerned that you felt your training was not enough. Would love if you could call our office 800 803 1100 and give us more specific feedback so we can ... More

9. "Owner/Operator 2016"

Pros

- Learn valuable life lessons
    - Great overview to learn how to run a business
    - Great mentors
    - Meet amazing people with similar mind sets

Cons

- Takes alot of time, thus requires very good management skills
    - Dealing with clients who will never be happy with whatever you do for them
    - Costly in terms of personal expenses

Advice to Management

It would be great if all company events were free or discounted, since one of my purposes of running a business was to save up money, and yet I had to pay for myself at company events.

Aug 17, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your very positive review You are so correct, this program, running your own business is a full on challenge! Certainly, when we are challenged we stumble, get up, learn ... More

10. "Owner/Operator"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful supporters and mentors throughout the entire experience I have learned more from this program then I could have imagined. The experience I have received over this experience will stay with me forever and benefit me greatly in the future

Cons

I worked the hardest I ever have in my life for the student works business I owned this summer and did not make the money student works made me believe I would. There were a lot of fees involved that I was unaware of when entering. I highly advise future owner/ operators to read the contract closely before signing on to this student works program.

Advice to Management

Management and the mentors I was lucky enough to work with throughout this time were fanominal and have taught me an unbelievable amount of lessons about owning a business at such a young age.

Aug 28, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your rave review!! Certainly managing profit is one of the more challenging parts of the program. We spend extensive time in our meetings before operators are offered the ... More

11. "Truly an amazing experience!"

Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator

Pros

-There are always new skills to learn and develop throughout the season.
    -Great like-minded people that inspire you.
    -The emails and phone notifications for updates, leads etc. help to keep you on track with what's going on.
    -There are days when you have time to yourself (they feel super rewarding after all the hard work that you put into other days!)
    -Meeting really interesting and successful co-oworkers and clients, building a solid network.
    -Great mentors that keep you motivated and help you improve.

Cons

-If you are not operating in the same area as where you go to school, the pre-season is a lot more frustrating. It's harder to be limited to working in your area on the weekends.
    -Client and painter conflicts can wear you down and stress you out.

Advice to Management

-It would be nice to talk more about what to do in cases where the clients weren't reasonable and the steps to resolving these problems. We learn a lot about what to do to prevent conflict but not as much about how to deal with conflict at trainings. My DM is the one that got me through it anything that I was overwhelmed with though!
    -Starting production felt way more intimidating than starting marketing, sales, or recruiting, but I felt like the other three aspects were covered in more depth before we went out and did them. Maybe talking about production isn't as helpful as talking about marketing, sales, or recruiting, but I would have liked talking more about it anyways.

Aug 15, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review We have found that managing client situations is very to challenging to talk about other than general rules - set lower expectations and exceed them, get ... More