Student Works Painting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I can now say that I've run a business which sold (in 12 reviews)

• you are paid for the pieces you complete, so once you become more experienced and faster there is the potential to make a lot of money (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Big time commitment; which is NOT a con if you value hard work (in 17 reviews)

• There are long hours but they are well worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. "You get out what you put in. Not a penny more, not a penny less."

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great senior management system that provides not only an exceptional support system but also valuable and lasting relationships.
    - Great systems in place to ensure success to all those who follow them. This part is important! If you take the experience as one of learning and development, and therefore follow the systems that the company teaches, you will be successful.
    - Great real life/real world experience and training in the many different aspects involved in building, owning, and operating your own business.
    - This company is an excellent example of a for-profit, social entrepreneurship. SWP is focused on helping young people develop their skills and making money doing it. Yes they take a cut, as they must in order to remain a sustainable business. They also teach young business owners, however, how to be efficient and profitable. This means that while making money off of what they provide, you (the franchise owner) can also make money off of what you provide, and you (the painter) can also make money off of what you provide.
    - Overall, the company provides a great service, and great opportunities for significant educational and financial gains.
    - Most importantly, I think, the company teaches emphasizes a healthy work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, have fun.

Cons

- If you don't work hard, you won't see desirable results.
    - If you don't follow the systems, you may still be successful, but it will be much more difficult.
    - The job is challenging for everyone, if that doesn't appeal to you, the job is not for you.
    - If you don't like the idea of a results based economy (one where you get out what you put in rather than making the same wage as the person next to you regardless of performance) this company will not appeal to you.

Advice to Management

Continue to always move forward and improve.

"Not entirely sure how legal this company is."

Current Employee - Painter in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Painter in Ontario, CA

Pros

Meet new friends
    Work outside (also a con)
    Casual
    Clients are usually really nice
    Learning experience
    Supervisor was really nice

Cons

Terrible/Questionably legal pay system -

When you're employed, they let you know about their piece-rate system. It sounds fine, basically, you get an hourly budget for every job. If the job is supposed to take 10 hours, and you finish in 8 hours, you get paid for 10 hours anyways. That's fine, assuming that the system for estimating the budget is in favour of the employee. It is not, not by a long shot. We were given 25 hours to complete a job that a professional painter of 20 years estimated would take 48 hours total with a team of 6. We were a team of two and because of how the budget works, we had 12.5 hours between two people. It's almost straight up theft in my experience.

Too much expected for the pay-

Hard, hot and unsafe work for minimum wage.

Weather dependant -

Was promised full time. There were a few weeks where I only worked 20 hours because of rain or temperatures being too high.

You can get screwed over by their hierarchy of responsibilities -

I didn't get my first paycheck until after a month and a half of me working. Even then I was only paid for the first two weeks. If you want a steady paycheck, look elsewhere.

Safety isn't a priority to these people -

The safety training was a joke. A complete joke. It was an online course that takes about an hour to complete if you do it undistracted. The "Tests" at the end could've been completed without watching the videos. None of the rules are paid attention to at the work-place anyways.

My advice? Stay away, far away from this company. They're taking advantage of students who are desperate to make ends meet. You'll work harder than you've ever worked before and be paid for 1/5th of it. Don't play their game, and don't let any of your friends play their game.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the piece-rate system, fix the payroll.

Jul 27, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

We are so disappointed that your experience with your operator was an unhappy one. Certainly it is very difficult to give specific feedback to your concerns. I do not have the back story... More

"Great learning experience, very difficult to do"

Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA

Pros

Great ability to run a business at a young age
    Potential for huge profits given the right circumstances
    Get exposure to a wide variety of business tasks, basically learn how to start and finish a business from scratch

Cons

Sales training is provided but technical training on how to paint is very weak
    Management only helps out its best people
    Pyramid scheme type of corporate set up
    They milk you for everything you are worth
    They do not tell you about potential problems, leaving you unprepared to deal with them when they arise

Advice to Management

The system works well, but has high turnover
    It is a pyramid scheme
    Offer better support to managers and they will likely bring you in more money

4. "know what your getting into."

Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are two choices for students to take part in the success of Student Works Painting. Students can become a Owner Operator and actually run a business or to be trained as a painter and work in a business. Each choice brings a unique experience and provides a different perspective of the painting business.
    Owner Operators gain valuable experience with the operation of their own business following a tried and true process developed by Student Works Painting. You will be exposed to all aspects of running a business including; staffing, marketing, selling and managing paint jobs. This level of participation requires a high level of commitment.

As painters, students take on the role of painter or crew chief. This level of participation is focused on the delivery of service (painting) and customer interaction. The work is summer based and aligns with your need to work between university or college terms.

Depending upon the experience that you want, and the level of commitment you have, Student Works Painting has a role for you.

Cons

long hours. money not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

be truthful

5. "Owner/Operator"

Former Employee - Owner Operator in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Owner Operator in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Over the past two summers I've run a window cleaning business with Student Works Window Cleaning. Through this experience I've gained an entire new skill that otherwise could not be learned from a textbook. Both summers running my business has undoubtedly been challenging in regards to the amount of knowledge to be learn. Furthermore, these challenges have also brought a great deal fulfillment, opportunities that would not have been available prior to, and friendships that will last a lifetime.

Cons

Caution: being a business owner may cause higher self-confidence, ambition and a work ethic that will produce more results that ever before.

Nov 3, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback on your role

I love the tongue and cheek caution! However, this role does help people uncover just how fantastic they are. With support, commitment and developing skills... More

6. "The Value of Student Works"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding and unique experience for students to run their own business and learn the value of hard work. I started as a painter and worked my way up to Owner/Operator level; I can honestly say it has been the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life but also the most rewarding experience. The skills that I learned from this management position will help me in future business and personal relationships.

Cons

This is not a position for someone who expects the ordinary 9-5, work stays at work job. At the Owner/Operator level, you are running a business which means certain sacrifices will need to be made in order to get the most out of this experience.

Nov 3, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback and we love to see our painters stay with us and seek out the extra leadership and responsibility that running their own business offers! Continued success, Student Works!

7. "Great experience for students!"

Former Employee - Owner Operator
    Former Employee - Owner Operator

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn all of the real life business skills that school will not teach you (such as sales, communication and customer relations).
    Network with hundreds of top performers across the country as well as gain access to a superb alumni network (where I found my current job right out of school).
    Make it through school debt free - while having money in the bank.
    Win a trip to the Caribbean for hard work.
    Get out of the program what you put into it. You make what you are worth!

Cons

Not too many - you will simply be working incredibly hard and shouldn't expect to have much of a social life over summer. Unless you're hanging out with other operators.

Advice to Management

A bit more coaching on quality of life and how to fit it into your business would be great - but you guys do an amazing job!

Oct 27, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your positive review. We certainly agree with your comments. This role is very challenging and will stretch you out of your comfort zone!

8. "The best thing I ever did. Seriously."

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Fredericton, NB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Fredericton, NB (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some amazing people who I know will be some of my friends for life. On top of that, I had an unbelievable summer, that was very challenging but very rewarding. I personally sold and produced over $100K in my first year. The skills I learnt this summer will only help me in the future. Some of those skills consisted of selling, recruiting, managing employees and managing my own profitability.

Cons

To become the top operator on the east coast I did have to invest more than the $1500 they recommend as startup cost, but looking back I understand how someone can be successful starting with the $1500.

Oct 27, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your positive feedback.

We use $1500 as a number that represents our average operator. When we have operator's sell more they drive up their marketing costs and equipment investments... More

9. "Amazing experience!!!!- But not for everyone"

Current Employee - Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience
    made great friends
    made a lot of money
    Did cool stuff and trips
    went to mexico for free
    Get to be the boss

Cons

A lot of work
    if you dont work hard you will get screwed- so work hard
    Little free time

Advice to Management

Smaller teams for more support

Oct 27, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your excellent review and feedback.

Student Works

10. "Great experience for anyone who wants to be a manager someday"

I worked at Student Works Painting part-time

Pros

-training on different topics
    -get to meet incredible people
    -make more money than other students

Cons

-have to be comitted
    -lots of hours

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Oct 27, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your positive review and sharing your experiences with our program!