Student Works Painting Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Student Works Painting Toronto Reviews

Updated November 7, 2017

Toronto, ON, Canada Area (Canada)

4.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I can now say that I've run a business which sold (in 12 reviews)

• you are paid for the pieces you complete, so once you become more experienced and faster there is the potential to make a lot of money (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Big time commitment; which is NOT a con if you value hard work (in 18 reviews)

• There are long hours but they are well worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. "Student Works owner/operator"

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time

Pros

Most rewarding word I've ever done...what you put in is what you get out.

The hater you work the more successful you will be.

Fast paced and competitive environment.

Cons

Hard to deal with unreasonable people and issues that are out of your control.

If you have tough skin and aren't opposed to criticism it's manageable.

Aug 16, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your positive feedback

2. "Great Experience"

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Own and operate your own business
    Follow your own schedule and pushed my district manager to generate a solid income

Cons

District Managers may push too much
    Take a large portion of income with many secret fees that are not explained properly

Advice to Management

Explain your fees clearly

Nov 14, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

We are happy to hear you had a positive experience with our program. It can be very difficult and challenging to start a business, so we aren't surprised to hear you were pushed hard by your District... More

3. "Operator/Owner"

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone with half a brain so I suppose it’s a good opportunity if you’re unable to find a job out of first year college and looking to build your resume.

Cons

As an owner/operator, this is a door to door job, don’t let them tell you otherwise. You are expected to “source” potential job opportunities for the upcoming summer by knocking door-to-door during the winter and spring. You are also expected to deposit $300+ for a welcome package (you do get this back when you finish the summer or terminate your contract but terminating requires you to pay a few thousand dollars. This amount scales as the summer approaches. We’re talking about $5000+ which is a hefty amount for anyone, let alone a student). The company tries hard to hide what they are doing labeling themselves as the “summer management company” where you’re able to “run your own business” but only until later are you told it’s a door-to-door painting business. Now if you have a clear understanding of this and don’t mind, by all means go for it. However, most students don’t really know what they’re getting themselves into before it’s too late and they start the door-to-door knocking deadsmack in the middle of winter. By then it’s too late because the student has signed a contract guaranteeing to do this work until the coming August and will need to pay a several thousand dollar fee to cancel. They usually recruit first/second years out of college and have them sign contracts in September/November. They arrange “business training conferences” where students must fully dress up in a suit to attend... why is this necessary for a door-to-door paint selling job? During these sessions, there is little about teaching you how to do the job but more own how to succeed while CEO Chris Thompson brings in his friends to give pep talks and talk about their Tesla’s. The experience was so bad everyone I met at the training conferences that year quit and paid the company thousands of dollars due to the contracts. I’m convinced this company is half-running a Pyramid scheme where more revenue is generated by students quitting rather than from selling paint jobs. I challenge the CEO publicly disclose audited financial statements to prove me otherwise.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to scam students by having them sign contracts where they need to pay a few thousand dollars to the company to terminate the contract. Let the students know what they will realistically be doing before having them sign such agreements and stop labeling your company as a “management opportunity” where you can “run your own business”. While this is somewhat true, it helps to first state what you’ll be doing and what the job entails.

Oct 25, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

We are truly sorry that you had such a profoundly bad experience in our program.

When students mark an interest in our program, they will attend information sessions where we do our best to... More

4. "Amazing experience"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides the fact that you make a lot of money working for this company (as long as you work hard) you learn a valuable set of life skills that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. The company itself? amazing they have events that keep us together and its unreal to be surrounded by like-minded hard-working people all of the time. Everyone provides unconditional support. I have no bad thoughts.

Cons

Besides the fact that you will not have a life, there are no cons to this experience that are the result of the company. Student Works itself sets you up with more than you need to be widely successful. Clients, and workers on the other hand can be a pain, but nothing that isn't manageable.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great :) keep it up

Aug 14, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your great feedback

Student Works

5. "Unbeatable business training and experience"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn how to start a business from scratch
    Take your problem solving to a new level
    Make great money (I personally was able to graduate debt free)

Cons

Starting your own Student Works Painting franchise is a ridiculous amount of work so be prepared for that

Advice to Management

Continue to develop amazing business leaders

Jul 27, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your feedback and congratulations on being able to graduate debt free when school costs so much in this environment. You should feel very proud of your accomplishments

Here's... More

6. "The Best Opportunity for High Performing Students."

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible learning experience
    Great networking opportunities
    Make more money than any of your friends and ball out during the school year

Cons

It can feel like there is more support for high performers than people who are struggling but if you ask for help you will receive it no matter who you are.

Advice to Management

Keep reviewing systems. Sales systems are exceptional, recruiting could use more refinement.

Jul 10, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for the great feedback
    We are constantly looking to improve our systems and are regularly getting suggestions to do so from our operators. We continue to shift and clarify our recruiting of... More

7. "Student Works Franchisee experience"

Former Contractor - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This position gives you the opportunity to run your own business as a university student. Hands down the best job experience possible to get as a student. Learn 5 jobs in one: marketing, administration, sales, recruiting, and project management. You have the opportunity to set your own hours so you can work as hard as you want, and relax when you need. The dedication you have to mastering skills and putting in the necessary hours will translate into a large return in the long run, and you have excellent coaches who are able to help you reach these points of mastery.

This job gives unparalleled independence, skill-development and forces people outside of their comfort zones. I know it will stand as one of the highlights of my student experience for the rest of my life. I can now say that I've run a business which sold $250,000 over the course of two years, and have walked away with over a 25% return. This job is perfect for anyone who wants to set themselves apart from their peers.

Cons

This is a job designed for intelligent and motivated people. It's not your typical 9-5, per-hour job. If you don't put in the work, you will NOT make money, and will end up wasting your time. Prepare to invest many of your weekends and most of your summer into your business, and be forced to develop your interpersonal skills at a drastic rate.

I cannot emphasize enough, anyone who is unwilling to put in a large amount of work will not be successful.

Advice to Management

Push your operators and district managers over the next few years to focus on developing a really really positive reputation in certain key communities. For example, Pickering (as my personal anecdote), has two great communities in Claremont and Whitevale that could translate into a lot of easy, constant, large projects flowing into the company.

8. "Amazing Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being an operator for Student Works Painting in Toronto has been one of the greatest opportunities I have had. They teach you how to operate your own business from managing employees, doing payrolls, dealing with clients, marketing, sales and much more! It is a great opportunity to learn so many valuable skills that you will need in your life even if you are not looking to run your own business in the future. Student Works Painting provides so much support throughout the entire experience. For example, each operator has a district manager who they can look to for guidance, and who they have weekly meetings with to make sure you are on track with your business and your goals.

The best thing I found about Student Works was the company culture. There are payroll events in the summer time where you get to hang out with equally hard working and interesting students who are going through the same experience as yourself, so you can share your experiences as well as get your mind off the hard work you do the rest of the week!

I am very grateful for Student Works and know that I am going to use the skills I have learned the past two summers for the rest of my life. Not to mention I get to say I ran my own business at 19!

Cons

If you are not willing to put in the work, and have the toughest job of your life thus far then being an operator at Student Works Painting is not for you. If you don't put in the work, you will not see the results you want and it will not be a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Jul 10, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review!
    Congratulations on running a successful business at 19!!
    Amazing
    Student Works

9. "Be ready to work extremely hard, but hardly make money."

Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Fantastic learning experience. They teach you a lot about running a business
    - Generally good people all around. Pretty motivating to be around

Cons

- They prey on the needs of the student to find a job. They say you will earn compensation based on how hard you work. Now in the minds of many, this sounds like a great way to make money, but in truth, what they offer is far from what you expect. Once you do the math and calculate how much you are really earning for your time, you will find out it is very low.

- They try to implant the idea that you are just working for a summer, but in reality, you will really be working an entire year. And for an entire year's worth of hard work, you will make far less than anyone working minimum wage.

- Take a look at the amount of people that stay behind with the company. Their turnover rate is ridiculously high. Most people will catch on to how much they are working for their time, and realize very quickly that this job is terrible.

- They don't truly teach you all there is to running a business. A large amount of administration was done by the head office. You do not have the opportunity to manage administration and finances yourself.

Advice to Management

- Be more transparent about what you are really going to give the franchisees and the money they will be making.
    - Highlight the amount of money that will be taken away from franchisees due to expenses

Jul 10, 2017 – President - Eastern Canada

First, I'd like to thank you for your feedback and advice. At Student Works, we strive to be as transparent as possible with anyone joining our program and working within it. We are quite... More

10. "Owner/Operator"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity to gain business experience from sales and marketing to recruiting and management. Pushes you to excel and succeed in work, school and all aspects of life. Completely changes the way you approach challenges. Money.

Cons

Very likely the hardest thing you will have done in your life, be sure you want to commit before signing up because this can be a great opportunity but can also mess you up big time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I regularly apply the values and ideas I learned in working here to all aspects of my life. The culture is absolutely fantastic.

Aug 9, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review. We agree with your cons. This is hard work and not for everyone!