Student Works Painting Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Student Works Painting Toronto Reviews

Toronto, ON, Canada Area (Canada)

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Great overview to learn how to run a business (in 7 reviews)

• There's a great company culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The program requires a level of hard work and commitment that most students have never experienced (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours every day (in the first few months 80-90 hours a week) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Owner/Operator"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity to gain business experience from sales and marketing to recruiting and management. Pushes you to excel and succeed in work, school and all aspects of life. Completely changes the way you approach challenges. Money.

Cons

Very likely the hardest thing you will have done in your life, be sure you want to commit before signing up because this can be a great opportunity but can also mess you up big time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I regularly apply the values and ideas I learned in working here to all aspects of my life. The culture is absolutely fantastic.

Aug 9, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review. We agree with your cons. This is hard work and not for everyone! Student Works

2. "Great Company!"

Current Contractor - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Amazing business Training
    -A lot of personal development
    -Fun atmosphere

Cons

- Have to learn how to balance school
    - A lot of had work

Advice to Management

Listen to your DM

3. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Amazing coaching team that supports you through every step of the way, for both the business and any other challenges you have in your life. They are determined to make sure you grow in every way possible, and push you to make sure you get there. Awesome work environment that supports both committing to work hard, and also taking the time you need to have fun and love life as well.

Cons

Long hours, and it is a LOT of work. Not for the weak-hearted. You have to know you want to do it, or be open to being coached on how to do it.

Advice to Management

Keep coaching the DMs however they are, because mine has been an amazing coach and friend for the entire time I've been with Student Works Painting. It began as a business relationship between coach and operator, but he was open to talk about anything that was effecting my productivity and determined to help me work through it. Keep it up with the Payroll events, they are awesome. What happened to our Newsletter that we had last year?

Jul 27, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review. We believe we have the best most committed leadership team in the industry. They are AMAZING! We are so proud of them! Based on feedback, we stopped doing ... More

5. "The Best Program in the World for a Young Entrepreneur"

Current Employee - Owner-Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner-Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Student Works Painting provides an incredible opportunity for everyone who is willing to go for it. The skills you have the ability to learn are beyond anything that you can learn from a weekend seminar or a classroom. If you commit to it, this program will make you a better person and set you up to create success for yourself.

Cons

There are no real cons, all of the difficulties that arise as a part of the job are where you gain value in your problem solving and communication skills.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve Simon and think about ongoing training for vets like we have in the January conference. there is a major dropoff in the value of those conferences after the first one.

Jul 27, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review. We love your title - THANKS and yes, we agree! Your advice/suggestion is something that we are committed to for this coming year and into the future. The ... More

"Significant lack of care for safety"

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours, with the opportunity to work outside and develop experience in the hardest type of sales - door to door sales.

Cons

There is a significant lack of safety oversight, almost no local laws on safety are followed in an attempt to cut production costs. Workers must be extremely diligent and exercise their right to refuse when they don't feel safe.

Advice to Management

Improve safety auditing of individual operators. Following local laws is necessary, not only to minimize business risk but to act in a consistently ethical manner.

Jun 6, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Thank you for your feedback. We would REALLY appreciate you calling our office - 800 803 1100 and letting us know who is not following our safety program. We have a very strict safety program ... More

7. "My Experience with Student Works Painting"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Works Painting trained me on every aspect of running a business. Under their guidance I ran a business exceeding $200,000 in sales over two summers. I was working at Starbucks when I got hired and I left the program with two successful years of being an entrepreneur. The program gives you experience and skills that are impossible for students to get elsewhere.

Cons

The program requires a level of hard work and commitment that most students have never experienced. I would recommend the program to ambitious and motivated students looking to distinguish themselves from their peers.

Advice to Management

Follow the system and work hard. The company doesn't make money unless you make money, and they have a vested interested in you doing well.

Aug 25, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your excellent review and congratulations on your hard work and success!

"Owner/Operator"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Georgetown, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Georgetown, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Works is a fantastic opportunity to make loads of money and have a great summer! The SWP culture is very inviting and friendly. Interviewing process is quite rigorous and rightly so as they look for the best. There is no better way to get introduced to the business world than with SWP. It is a lot of hard work and time commitment as owning and operating any company is but what better way is there to experience business and entrepreneurship than doing just that! Work for yourself, being responsible for the ups and downs and learning how to make money. SWP is highly recommended to any and every aspiring entrepreneur and business student.

Cons

Can be stressful at times and some financial support may be needed during start-up. Car is required and students must be financially prepared to take on initial expenses.

Aug 11, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback and accurate feedback!

9. "Student Works Painting"

Former Employee - Operator & District Manager in Caledon, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operator & District Manager in Caledon, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was an amazing company to work at. There was incredible guidance, great learning opportunities and endless amounts of likeminded, determined and ambitious students looking to get more out of a summer job. It is what you make of it, for me it was the best learning experience of my life so far. It set me apart from my peers.

Cons

There is a ton of hard work. There will be ups and downs, highs and lows; you just have to remember that if you follow the system, then you will succeed.

Jul 27, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your kind review. Thanks for coming back and giving us a review!!!

10. "Owner/Operator Perspective"

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Pickering, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Pickering, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience of learning how to run one's own business is incomparable because here at Student Works, all of us Owner/Operators are students ourselves, and the just the real world business environment we are immersed in prepares us for what lays ahead further in our careers and our lives. The skills and knowledge we learn regarding marketing, managing employees, client relations, paint technology, and so much more allows us to broaden our horizons and expand our portfolios/skill sets. I can honestly say in my rookie year of being an owner/operator I've really learned the meaning/value of hard work and how much time and effort goes into running a small business.

Cons

Definitely time consuming. Must be 150% committed, no 'ifs', 'ands', or 'buts'. Stress can be very difficult to deal with at times, but that's the nature of the position. The responsibility of having people depending on you working at the top of your performance level can be stressful as well.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to be more upfront with the amount of an investment it is to be running one's own business. The return on investment is worth it if you operate for more than one year, but investing thousands of dollars in my first year in tools and supplies was difficult to say the least, but I know in my second year of operation I'll have already made my large investments and it'll be profit from then onwards. Management just needs to ensure operators and applicants are aware of the long term investment they are vesting themselves in. Otherwise, management definitely does a great job in training us and preparing us for running our own businesses.

Jul 13, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your review of our program. We certainly agree with your perspective.

11. "Owner/Operator"

Former Contractor - Owner and Operator in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Owner and Operator in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great business management experience for young students looking to improve their skills in time management, organization, and sales.

Cons

Sometimes can be very overwhelming with all the tasks you have to do by yourself to have a successful summer.

Advice to Management

Spend more time ensuring first time students understand the different concepts of the business. Be aware that there are Owners/Operators that try to sell the service without understanding what they're selling.

Jun 23, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

I appreciate your positive feedback I agree that the role of a first year operator is very challenging. We continue to invest more time and effort in training and support. Every year, in ... More