Study Island Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Tim McEwen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. Account Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Manager/Strategic Accounts Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Study Island full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with students in need. Overcome customer objections and answer customer questions regarding test preparation material and proper implementation of the program  Identify key decision-makers in large school districts and present the strength of the Study Island solutions  Coach junior sales representatives on the essential techniques of selling solutions-based education products

Cons

Study is a great company I really don't have anything to say about neg about the company

Advice to Management

Exceptionally well organized with a track record that demonstrates self-motivation, creativity, and Initiative to achieve both personal and corporate goals. United States Navy Veteran with four years of active duty and 10 years of service in the reserves.

2. "Great company, small forward thinking, acquired by Edmentum, many of the old staff are gone"

Pros

Best place to work, work hard play hard mentality

Cons

None to mention, I enjoyed my time there!

Advice to Management

They were great!

3. "Culture was incredibly positive"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Study Island full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to do good for students and teachers, move up within company, earn sales commissions. Support for field reps was incredible.

Cons

The product wasn't always the greatest, we were making so much profit we could have used it to develop incredible new features or new product lines, but profits were funneled out of the company for ownership.

Advice to Management

To my sales leadership, thanks for an incredible experience where I learned so much and had a great time doing it. Since leaving I now realize how rare it was to have a well run sales organization with people you could look up to and trust behind you, beside you, and beneath you all focused on your success.

4. "My company was purchased by this company, then everything changed..."

I worked at Study Island full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good educational products you can believe in when selling. Fun culture. Rarely any work to bring home (aside from stress).

Cons

Hard sale techniques, difficult quotas, overwhelming demands.

5. "Sales Position at Study Island"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Albany, NY

Pros

The company provides you with the tools you need - laptop, phone reimbursement, expenses, etc. There is a good balance between support and autonomy. The company treats its employees very well and has good benefits for a company its size. The compensation plan allows you to make a good living as long as you put in the effort.

Cons

Working out of a home office, and with few physical get-togethers, either regionally or nationally, you can feel isolated at times. At times, the compensation does not seem to match the high stress level. There is a lot of pressure at the end of the month, resulting in feeling like the stereotypical used car salesman.

Advice to Management

Schedule more regional meetings, perhaps quarterly, to help with the feeling of isolation.

6. "Study Island, Generally a good company to work for; some drawbacks."

Current Employee - Program Consultant (Sales Representative ) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Consultant (Sales Representative ) in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very supportive of employees. Advances from within. Casual atmosphere. Great colleagues.

Cons

Study Island has been bought by a big equity firm. Since then, sales reps' commission rates were significantly cut. Even when a sales rep makes quota, (which gets exponentially higher every year), usually the rep's commission rate is cut slightly. The end result is that the sales rep's earnings are kind of kept in control no matter how good he or she is.

Advice to Management

Reward top sales reps properly. Pay attention to detail with customer support - which in the past has been one of our strong points. We're growing too quickly to keep up with things properly.

7. "Fantastic, casual, work environment. Great perks (free red bulls, sodas, great coffee selection, snacks)."

Pros

Some of the most brilliant minds I've ever worked with.
    Laid back, casual work dress.
    401k - matched $1.00 up to 6%.

Cons

Was bought out by Edmentum in 2013 which destroyed the culture/work moral.

8. "doctor"

I have been working at Study Island full-time (More than a year)

Pros

enjoying this island very much

Cons

hard working is a good income

Advice to Management

must work hard

9. "Great stepping stone for young sales rep"

Pros

Great program that is easy to sell. Mostly free to work independently with minimal supervision. Great culture in Dallas office.

Cons

Low base pay. Each quarter they seem to raise goal and lower commission. When company went public it became difficult to make the same kind of money as before.

Advice to Management

The program is wonderful but your reps are what got the company where it is today. Please compensate them fairly.