Sublime Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Linder

"An amazing contracting experience"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company is very warm and welcoming. They prize flexibility and quality of life in balance with hard work. The quality of projects is wonderful. Contractors don't feel like second class citizens as they do at other companies.

Cons

The building can get really hot in the summer, even with the AC on.

Advice to Management

The on-boarding process could be improved for more clarity. Especially filling out that time sheet.

"Not for serious professionals"

Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sublime Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of the employees aren't bad
    - It's easy to get away with being lazy if you're incompetent
    - Unlimited PTO was legitimate, although others may have a different opinion on the subject

Cons

I don't think these are bad people, and everyone deals with problems in their own way, so I don't want to pass judgement, but I feel like I need to write this as a public service. Many of the good reviews were written by current employees after management freaked out about some bad reviews, so the overall rating paints a whitewashed picture. I really wish I had the opportunity to have read some more honest reviews before I made the decision to work here.

A couple of previous reviews hit the nail on the head, and their statements are a reflection of the core underlying issues, so I'm going to include their two points first:

- A revolving door of employees
    - The competent leave, the incompetent stay
    - Salary is well below market value
    - Micromanagement rules the roost, but takes a backseat to the perma-chaos that pervades nearly all decision making and interactions
    - Good ideas are routinely ignored in favor of the whim of a single, irrational decision maker
    - If you are competent, the work of the incompetent (the majority of staff) will be dumped on you
    - Management will ask for your advice, you will spend time and energy coming up with good advice, then you will be roundly ignored in favor of bad advice

Advice to Management

You have driven your company into the ground by ignoring the advice of people who have much better ideas than you. Your only salvation is to completely remove yourselves from the process, and to trust the people you hired to do their jobs.

Sublime Media Response

Mar 7, 2016 – General Manager

Sublime Media believes in an open, creative, and collaborative working environment that we believe is not accurately reflected in this review AND we are always looking for feedback so that we can be ... More

"The most amazing people"

Current Employee - President in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm the co-founder of Sublime, David Linder.

You know why I love Sublime? The people. They are constantly surprising and impressing me. We work on high-impact, short-deadline projects, everything from driving a train to DNA, from selling computers and clothing to workplace safety. At the end of almost every project, I see something to be proud of. These are people that care.

Cons

Do we have room to improve? Yes, hell yes. It's why I stay involved with projects and with people. I don't have an "exit strategy" for Sublime. I want to build an amazing company that does heroic things. We can be the company that changes training.

I invite real, honest, fierce feedback from everyone who works here; I'm having face-to-face conversations to see what we can do better and what we are doing well.

Advice to Management

My personal commitment is to make myself more available to everyone here to solve problems, encourage collaboration, develop new ideas, and to listen.

"Growing company with great benifits"

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Benefits
    Decent wages
    Team work environment

Cons

Hot in the summer cold in the winter. Offices could use a face lift.

"A growing company getting most things right"

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

Sublime Media has a great office atmosphere, with cross-functional teams encouraged to collaborate and innovate. The people here are fantastic. A lot of care goes into hiring to make sure that new additions fit culturally as well as for their competencies. The flexible PTO policy, good benefits, and dogs around the office are also plusses.

Cons

The workload can be highly variable. Management rightly points out that project timelines are usually set by the client, but that doesn't change the fact that you sometimes have to grind out long hours, and the expectations only get more unrealistic as you near the end of the project, putting the weight squarely on developers and QA. The compressed timelines make it difficult for people to actually take the time to be as collaborative and innovative as the company wants.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure how to fight the timeline battle when the alternative is that the client takes work elsewhere. They have actually been fairly proactive at pushing timelines when they see opportunities to do so. Keep doing it.

"Philosophy shapes the company and culture"

Current Employee - Director of Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Senior management really does care about the employees -- full medical paid out for employees with most of dependent covered. Lunches for the company every two weeks or so. Unlimited time of policy. Dog-friendly environment. Got the munchies -- there's always snacks around (including healthy options.)

You can go in the bosses door (if you can figure out how to do it, its the difficult process of grabbing the door handle and pulling it open) and say, "I have a problem" and you will get action 95% of the time. If you don't, you get a reason. All ideas listened to because a) they give a damn b) they value feedback c) they are decent human beings. When you are honest with them, they are honest with you.

Principal owners know the learning space and they mentor the employees, or expect department managers to do it. Feels gratifying to have the kind of reputation we have among clients. And whenever there is a problem that is identified -- whether it be training, process, personal needs, issues with growth in the company, a vision is set and changes are attempted. Culture reflects character of management.

Unlike some places where your role keeps you in a silo, you really can grow and advance here.

Cons

As an agency, your schedule is sometimes at the mercy of the client or other outside forces. But that's the nature of agency work.

The unlimited time off policy is nice, as it rewards responsible employees. However, it cannot be applied uniformly depending on your role.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your personal philosophy shape the company and culture.

Changes in process can be scary - they take awhile for the positives to be ingrained in the company culture. Keep it up.

Keep focusing on the right kind of people that you hire work here; that's the best part of the company.

Invest more in employee professional development/training -- at least 2 hours per week of directed development.

"Fast and furious with lots of new faces."

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

The people are great! There is a core of dedicated folks across all the teams who will do anything to get a project done right and on time. Also, there is a good deal of flexibility with hours and PTO, which allows folks to try and keep their lives balanced. We also create really slick and innovative training tools, and I regularly feel proud of what we produce. Also, management is really receptive to helping people grow in the directions the want to grow.

Cons

Onboarding is nonexistent, so getting new hires up to speed can be very difficult. Often times people who have been here for months do not understand the basic life cycle of a project. It's ironic to me that we develop cutting edge learning tools for other companies and yet have none of our own. I think this would save us a lot of time and money to develop these.

Project management is probably the weakest element at Sublime. The people are great, but the schedules that are created based on poor scoping on SOWs force other teams to cut corners. It has only been getting worse since I've been with Sublime, and it's only a matter of time until something falls through the cracks. I'm worried that we'll have to lose clients over it for something to be done. In some respects, the cutting of corners is tied to the lack of understanding surrounding the project life cycle.Obviously we have to make tight deadlines to win clients, but we can't do that at the expense of our quality and our reputation as one of the best.

Advice to Management

Build the training tools, and nail down internal processes. Also, see to it that SOWs are not promising timelines that cut out essential steps of development. Finally, we need more QA. It is plain to everyone in the office that our current QA tester is overworked, and that's with him just making sure that courses don't have catastrophic bugs. At the end of the day, he doesn't really have time to truly put a course through its paces. No one works harder or is more committed to Sublime than he is.

"Small, Creative Company which Fosters Close Employee Relationships and a Strong Sense of Personal Responsibility"

Current Employee - Manager, Engineering Team in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager, Engineering Team in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In all things, Sublime offers a high level of freedom. The quality of project output rests with the members of a team building that project. Company hierarchy is loose and beyond specific project responsibilities employees determine their place in the company.

Office environment is casual and teams tend to be close-knit. Dogs are everywhere!

Management is extremely open to all feedback. Any concerns about the direction of the company or projects can be addressed to the company owners easily and - when presented clearly and with an eye towards resolving problems - is addressed by the owners themselves.

Work is immediately applicable and customer-focused. Output is typically a class or two better than work being done by competitors in terms of quality, visual appeal and usability.

Cons

Many of the best things about Sublime can also be its biggest challenges depending on an employee's preferences and specific situations.

The greater degree of freedom brings with it a greater degree of responsibility. Teams themselves are primarily responsible for the quality of their work and anyone looking for someone in management to detail every step of their work before it is done will struggle at Sublime. Projects are as organized or chaotic as the members of that team make them.

The company has grown rapidly in recent years and in some respects is still trying to figure out how to maintain its loose, informal atmosphere while handling the increased stresses of a larger organization.

In the end, Sublime is a consulting organization and customers expect that deadlines are met which can lead to crunch time if a project team is not paying attention to how their progress is tracking to those deadlines.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to take advantage of the freedom available in the company. Consistently implement a *slightly* more structured project management approach. Be more cognizant of available project team bandwidth when taking on new work or customer change requests.

"Fun, flexible, and interesting work environment that provides a safe place to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most work experiences are only as good and rewarding as what you put into them. Sublime Media is no exception to this rule. No matter where you start here, the opportunities to push your limits and learn are abundant. I often find myself working outside my comfort zone, but I can typically turn to someone for help and get things I don't understand yet worked out without fearing that I'm not "making the cut" and my job is on the line.

As a developer here, you fill many different roles and have a lot of input on how the final product works and looks. The developers are responsible for creating and clarifying many aspects of the interaction design of projects. Lately, it has been more and more expected to contribute to projects early on while they're still being written. On any given day, we can also be called upon to edit media, mock up basic designs in Illustrator, create new artwork that wasn't covered in the design phase, etc.

Everyone's input is welcome and equally considered across departments and with upper management.

Perks:
    Cool location, good health benefits (free, for the most basic plan), kitchen stocked with beverages and snack, flexible schedule and paid time off (depending on the work load), fun people to work with, open floor plan, dogs at work openly welcome and even encouraged

Cons

For developers, there doesn't seem to be enough people with advanced front-end experience. This needs to change in order to help the less experienced folks and ensure a higher quality product.

QA is stretched too thin..

Major scope creep on many projects just before delivery.

Often, timelines get messy real quick and chaos ensues. It's not as terrible as some have made it out to be, but we can do better.

Advice to Management

Invest more money in experienced front-end developers. Now I don't actually know how much my coworkers are making, but in several other reviews uncompetitive pay came up. While I believe that the pay is fair for the young and inexperienced, it seems like senior developers may be passing Sublime up because of more competitive offers elsewhere. If you are finding that this is indeed the case, please fix it; we need those people.

Design department needs to hire more designers with web and interaction design experience. This will solve a lot of headache in development if interactions are fleshed out ahead of the build. It will also evolve the user experiences of our courses.

"More good than not"

Current Employee - Web in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual/fun environment, owners/managers honestly care about the employees, opportunities to learn a lot, provided with good equipment, decent location, dog friendly, variety of work

Cons

Communication breakdowns between departments, in-balance between department expectations/hours spent in office, lower end of income spectrum

Advice to Management

1. Defined income structure would help people feel more comfortable in their positions. Like high end dev/designer/IDs makes___, low end dev/designer/IDs makes______, interns makes_______.

2. Somehow balance the hours spent in the office between QA (mostly), dev, design, and ID. Perhaps by shifting schedules to allow more time in the Alpha phase of the project. QA gets a few days/week while ID and design spends weeks months at it. (understandable due to client correspondence.

Any complaints about working conditions (hot, cold), and hostility or low morale in the office are silly reasons to gripe. Every job has it's conditions and complainers. Sublime is only miserable when staying until 10pm to finish work that could have been finished earlier. Overall very happy!