Subsea 7 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Subsea 7 CEO & Executive Director Jean Cahuzac
Jean Cahuzac

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with fantastic holidays (in 12 reviews)

• A good and stable company with good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • An obvious con is work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• No pay rises, lack of motivation due to downturn (in 4 reviews)

1. "Administrator"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great time off and half-day Fridays.

Cons

Not a very good moral overall within the company, feels very much like every man for himself. No trainings being offered so you can't expand your skill set. No pay raises in YEARS even if you have a great end of year review.

Advice to Management

Build a better moral overall with everyone not just your immediate team. See what your employees want to learn in order to grow. Give a pay raise to EVERYONE, we shouldn't have to wait years for one.

2. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic work environment
    Diverse workers
    Good projects
    A lot of responsibility early on

Cons

Top heavy (lot of upper management)
    Slow Processes

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was somehow able to get in some good training.

Cons

Said bad management colluded with HR to file an illegal review in order to push me out of my position and out of the company. I was never given a chance to read, respond, or sign off on my review, which was blatantly false. It was a toxic work environment for me as a female, and I do not say this lightly - I completely understand the allegations. I just know that none of his male employees and colleagues were harassed the way the women were. I was also pressured by this man to expose my health issues to the entire company so that "people wouldn't talk" about him - pretty sure that is also illegal. This manager is still employed there, despite numerous complaints and a known history of making his female employees cry at work, so I can't in good faith give this company anything higher than the lowest mark. The saddest part is, it's not like he was some super productive manager; I honestly never saw him do any actual work my entire time there.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people who do nothing, yet somehow cause so many problems. Perhaps it's not his employees, it's actually him.

"Lead Engineer post employment review."

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before the market caused issues, salary was very good, training was good, and work life balance was good.

Cons

Since the market shakedown, they have removed all of the benefits of being an employee save for the salary you earn.
    Work loads have significantly increased for some in lieu of all of the layoffs.
    When push comes to shove, management always seems to favor cost over quality until it is too late. Then the cost to stay efficient become astronomical. Many process corners were cut while I was employed there just to keep budgets down.

Advice to Management

Your people are your most valuable asset. You should treat them like it. Inter-company and intra-company communication needs to be better. Support for maturing young managers needs to be a priority. A team atmosphere needs to be fostered. People cannot just be stuffed in a corner to put out fires while engineering management lives in the limelight.

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Project Cost Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Cost Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. I would say the best aspects are not only the colleagues you work with, but more importantly the management who are fine examples of leaders. The whole work environment is conducive for growth, learning and expansion.

Cons

I have no cons to put here.

7. "It's ok...."

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly atmosphere amongst co-workers and peers. Exciting projects with fair compensation. When budget allows, training is a priority. Meetings usually have open dialogue where managers are welcome to feedback. Office has decent amenities. Vessels outside of the GOM Region pretty impressive.

Cons

Too much emphasis on processes that don't add value to the project. Departments not really cohesive and poor at communicating. After the merger between Acergy and Subsea 7, the office culture became less about its own people and a negative cloud of distrust became the norm, namely treating employees like children. An open floor plan was established to monitor everything.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees a little better, namely put more trust in them. Compensation is fair, but would be attractive if raised a little.

8. "Surveyor and technician"

Former Employee - Surveyor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Surveyor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of leave and they provide training. Worldwide travel and mainly interesting work.

Cons

Long days but I am used to an 84 hour week. Some ships are better than others.

"Not the best place for valuing employees"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of things to learn.
    One can never be out of work.
    People are knowledgeable.
    Reasonably stable compared to other EPCs

Cons

Very stingy company when it comes to paying employees. They make you work crazy hours and pay nothing. You are never paid at par with other companies. Subsea7 salaries are in general lower compared to the industrial trend. If you are not the favorite of your boss, in times of downturn, you are the first to go. Yes, those who blabber and talk like salesman are boss's favorite. Your boss need not know what you are doing. Too stingy company in terms of managing CTR. Always bickering about Cost Time Resources. I would definitely not recommend working over here. Just firing people in Engineering will not save money for the company. Look on Project Management side where half of the people sit idle and do nothing and get hefty pay.

Advice to Management

Pay your engineers at par with other companies and also pay them for the extra hours they put in for work. The tendering department is not competitive enough and is losing jobs to other companies because they are ready to underbid to that much of an extent that they end up winning the project. Change your strategy in dire times. Else you will lose a lot of good employees.

10. "Submersible Engineer"

Former Employee - Submersible Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Submersible Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This was rotated offshore work. Never laid off. Average Pay. Generous benefits and perks. Management was always fair.

Cons

Long stretch's of without work offshore. Unstable rotations. Slow promotion.

Advice to Management

Promote people. Many people will leave and come back just to get a promotion.

"Supply Chain Supervisor"

Former Employee - SCM North America Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SCM North America Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Subsea 7 (More than a year)

Pros

small company, not a lot of political red tape

Cons

same small company structure limits growth

Advice to Management

promote from within and invest on its people