Suburban Hospital Reviews in Bethesda, MD | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Hospital"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Everyone is like a family, a very diverse family - from personal backgrounds, to professional experience.
     We just opened up a new 6 or 7 story parking garage, that we do not have to pay to use!!!! Are starting to build a new building that will allow us to continue to grow toward being the best hospital in Maryland - for patients and employees! Excellent benefits. Great leadership team!

Cons

Pay could always improve, especially in the DC/Maryland area. But they constantly evaluate it, and communicate the good and the bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and communicate to us. Consider painting walls a little happier color, and change the channel in the cafeteria.

"Great staff"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Administration is great, love the people that I work with. Great internal opportunities even offer to help you transfer within the Johns Hopkins network.

Cons

Because of the area clients tend to have and air of rudeness at times. Drive sucks. According to older staff they have a salary cap.

3. "made money"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some awesome nurses, doctors, and supportive staff, great patients that educated me, and was exciting

Cons

no lunch breaks in the ER, craziness nonstop, paper schedules, and lack of upper management involvement to fix staff concerns

Advice to Management

Do what is necessary to fall within the appropriate guidelines of the labor board (lunch breaks) and get digital staffing capabilities.

4. "Human Resources Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people who care about what they do.

Cons

Linked to Johns Hopkins who strong arms the hospital into complying with their policy and procedures.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - General Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great staff and good nurses.

Cons

top management team inconsistent and does not trust mid management team enough.

Advice to Management

Beginning to make positive changes.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package is the best way better then Maryland health exchange.

Cons

Leadership plays major politics, only out for selves and they lie a lot

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy and they will work for you forever, pay your techs more per hour and allow them to attain other nursing certifications that can be reimbursed through the educational benifits 9ACLS, BTLS, EMT etc...)

7. "Being part of Johns Hopkins Medicine is bringing this community hospital into the future"

Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great people
    Metro subsidy
    Shuttle from Metro to Hospital
    Great food in cafeteria

Cons

Management still confused about/resisting integration with Hopkins as a system after operating as a stand alone hospital for so long.
    Challenging boss; not trusting, resistant to new technologies, somewhat demeaning attitude most of the time from this particular person

"Not a great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people i worked with were very nice in my department

Cons

Parking is horrible. Laboratory staff gets treated like second class citizens by other departments. Your patient had a potassium of 7.5 in an unhemolyzed sample, the nurses don't care. You're constantly talked down to by lab administration and other departments. There is very little room for advancement or continuing education. If you're looking for a job with minimal oversight,this may be it. Lab administration is more concerned with checking the box than doing the right thing. Don't forget the critters that crawl around on the floor, this is the dirtiest lab I've ever seen. Lots of cliques and rumors fly around like the end of the world, which somehow end up on your annual review without even being asked if it was true or not. This is a terrible lab and hospital. I would never want to be a patient here!

"Suburban hospital is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in a great area.

Cons

Competitive to some of the other hospitals in DC.

Advice to Management

Offer the staff a little more money.

10. "I was very disappointed that my first job in a hospital didn't turn out like I hoped it would."

Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seasoned employees that I worked with that I learned so much from. Some units, employees, managers and employee morale good.

Cons

Poor Communication/Low Salary/Poor employee morale/Very few team players/Poor Management support/Dysfunctional Training i.e. 2 employees train different on same procedure!!

Advice to Management

Setting the tone of the department or unit starts at the top. If the manager walks in and says nothing to the employees, it sets a bad tone. Come in say good morning to EVERYONE you pass, put your things in your office and get out there and talk to your supervisors. How was the shift? Walk around and say good morning to EVERYONE on that shift and the next shift. The manager can't show anything but upbeat! "Loose Lips Sink Ships" Management shouldn't be offering information that clearly is not for all or some employee's ears!! In employee meetings it's nice to recognize employees not just for patient accolades, but outstanding work by an employee who for example may have taken the initiative to do something that made a big difference. It's not a good idea to have employees you favor or let other employee see that you favor certain employees. Managers are support for employees to run interference when an employee needs help. It would be nice if when an employee asks for help they get it instead of "Well what do you want me to do about it" It would also be nice if when an employee came to management the manager wouldn't say "go back and tell....." It's not the place of the employee to be telling anyone what to do. That should come from management. Human Resources- Exit Interviews may be a good idea and also a short basic workshop on management might be a good idea. When you heir an RN immediately they are put into a supervisor role. They supervise the PCT. Some can't even do confrontation! It's hard because its uncomfortable. They ask a PCT to do something and the PCT says no and the RN shrugs and does it themselves. THATS WRONG!!