Success Academy Charter Schools Assistant Principal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2019

Found 10 reviews

3.7
Eva Moskowitz
  1. "Success Academy Team"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being an assistant principal at Success Academy has allowed me to collaborate with talented individuals with varying related experiences and skillsets. There is a clear passion and common goal that drive the cohesive team that is Success Academy. Tackling challenges in education and best serving all students is at the core of our practice. I'm proud of the people I work with, what we are currently able to do for children,...

Cons

More space is needed for SA to continue to do this great work and reach more children.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-19
  2. "Excellent Opportunity For Growth"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

Pros

- Acknowledges talent and invests in potential - So many resources so that driven people are able to move up quickly - Huge amount of support from company leaders

Cons

- Work/life balance can be tough to manage

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The support you give is amazing!

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-18
  3. "A supportive community"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked for SA for 4 years—in an operations roll, as a teacher, and now as a leader. Here are some things I’ve found to be undeniably true: - There is enormous opportunity for growth. Staff (in any roll) who are motivated, reflective, ask questions, and work hard are recognized and cultivated. - Teachers are incredibly smart and driven, and Senior Leaders and AP’s move teacher practice QUICKLY. When I was a...

Cons

The hours, as with ANY teaching job, can be long.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-18
  4. "True place for personal and professional growth"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal

Pros

Changing the lives of children everyday! Support from managers that are truly invested in your growth and your goals. Plenty of opportunities to advance your career and move up Camaraderie and trust among colleagues

Cons

Hard work but very rewarding

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-18
  5. "Amazing place to work, especially those looking to make strong, broad educational impact."

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

Pros

SA not only cultivates incredibly progressive & joyful places for kids to learn, but also is a place that is HEAVILY focused on their dual mission and it is amazing to work for an company that is highly organized on multiple fronts in making changes that directly (positively) impacts our kids & our communities. The scholars and families are amazing to work with, teachers are more dedicated/reflective than any...

Cons

This job takes commitment & is hard work. If you are looking for a 9-5 you are in the wrong job field entirely. Schools are solid but SA still feels like a startup in many ways, so the hours can feel long but the rewards are right in front of you every day -- makes it worth it.

Advice to Management

Its been great to see the heavy focus being placed on staff development & morale in the last year as the company has continued to scale.

6. "Career Advancement"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Good Pay and career development.

Cons

Not a great work lift balance.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-05-03

"Excellent Professional Development"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Bronx, NY

Pros

Excellent Professional Development for teachers and leaders. People are passionate to get excellent results by not low balling kids from the Bronx, or BK etc. The job is important but worth it.

Cons

The job is high stakes, important, and taxing.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-02-26

"cutthroat politics and nepotism + best curriculum for children"

Former Employee - Assistant Principal

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

refined best quality curriculum that champions critical thinking, best instructional delivery practices

Cons

constant reshuffling/reassignments mean you could end up with a principal you don't gel with, many principals are on power trips and keep their social friends in junior leadership roles not necessarily the most competent people by their side

Advice to Management

stop championing ruthlessness to get ahead and focus on the actual instruction for kids

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-02-11

"Assistant Principal"

Former Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teachers are genuinely passionate about their role in scholars lives

Cons

Network Communication is very poor and inconsistent Double standards for what is expected of school site staff compared to network staff Executive Managers are untrustworthy and negative controllers

Advice to Management

Value your employees and be more human

Success Academy Charter Schools2016-12-12

"Assistant Principal"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent culturally responsive curriculum in a high paced environment.

Cons

Not inclusive or actually culturally responsive. Lack of transparency in interview about vision for the organization and where they actually are. Honestly my educational values just aren't aligned. Honesty within the interview from the recruiter would have allowed me to see this a lot sooner and make a more informed decision.

Success Academy Charter Schools2016-03-28