Success Academy Charter Schools Chess Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 614 reviews

3.2
Eva Moskowitz
  1. Featured Review

"If you want to make a difference in a child's life, SA is the place for you!"

Current Employee - 4th Grade ICT Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Professional Development is provided throughout the school year and in the summer so you are always getting better as a teacher -Leaders are constantly in and out of classrooms providing in the moment feedback to help you improve your trade -Materials are supplied for you (this was a huge PRO after coming from a public school where all of my supplies were purchased using my own meager paycheck) -The Education Institute...

Cons

-This job is not easy, but how can a job that yields such positive results be easy? You have to be in it for the right reason. -Sometimes it is hard to avoid taking home work, both physical work and the mental stress of the work. I found this to be the case in my 3 years of teaching prior to coming to Success, unfortunately, I believe it is simply part of the profession.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-02-28
  2. "Supportive Working Environment"

Current Employee - Advisory in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supremely qualified, effective and nurturing upper-management. I'm constantly inspired by the talent and dedication of the people at this organization. Everyone puts their hearts and souls into helping SA students and schools.

Cons

The unfair negative press about these excellent schools can be disheartening.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-01
  3. "Approach with caution and research. Ask for a school visit."

Current Employee - Lead Humanities Teacher

Pros

The entry-level pay is above average.

Cons

Long work hours, tight management.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-11
  4. "A Home for Educational Entrepreneurs"

Current Employee - Manager

Pros

This is an ideal environment for someone who is entrepreneurial and looking to make their mark contributing to decreasing the achievement gap, education broadly, and a growing organization. If you're the type of person who wants to wear multiple hats and grow as a professional educator or even project or people manager, this is great place to quickly develop.

Cons

With that start-up culture of course comes a need to dedicate a lot of time and energy to your work. If you want a 9-5 then teaching probably isn't your cup of tea in general.

5. "Dream Job!!"

Current Employee - Lawyer

Pros

Super interesting and great colleagues!!

Cons

Would love to have more conference rooms

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-01

"Amazing Schools, Driven Community"

Current Employee - Director

Pros

Team is genuinely committed to great outcomes for kids, unwilling to take shortcuts. Schools are inspiring and adorable. Beacon for other educators.

Cons

Performance bar is high, so definitely not a place to kick back.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-06-24

"Not Great"

Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Good benefits Pay Snacks and lunch provided The kids

Cons

Depends entirely on what school you're placed at and who your leader is. We went through at least 4 different leadership which seems to be common. Teachers quit throughout the school year and it even seems expected from day one to lose people. A culture of fear, intimidation and rarely any valorization for staff work effort. No work life balance. You will be exhausted everyday and gaslit by leaders for not doing enough...

Advice to Management

Focus on retainment and stability

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-07-10
  8. "job review"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

professional development offered and team work

Cons

demanding work and long hours

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-06-27
    • "Great Pay, Great Benefits, High-Intensity Workspace"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher

Pros

Great Pay and Great Benefits. Great place to grow your practice.

Cons

Can sometimes be inefficient with time.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-06-27
    • "Challenging but Valuable"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will become an incredible teacher. The PD is super high quality and you get very high level and frequent feedback. They have a ton of money and you have unlimited supplies, and the staff outings are fun. The teachers are also amazing and I made some of my closest friends there. When you leave, you can get a job anywhere.

Cons

It's really, really hard. It feels like whatever you do is never good enough. The hours are long. Admin sometimes looks the other way or participates when teachers are mean to students.

Found 614 reviews