KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2022

Found 1,492 of over 1,533 reviews

Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great for a first job out of college(in 105 reviews)
  • "Pay is good for students just graduating with little debt or a low monthly loan payment.(in 84 reviews)
  • "Meeting and suffering with some great people.(in 52 reviews)
  • "If you are not certified to teach it is a good salary and experience to get your feet wet.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Met some great coworkers who cared about kids and were incredibly hard working(in 31 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Challenging Work that is Really Worth It

Oct 12, 2021 - Enterprise Strategy in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

SA works exceptionally hard to transform the lives of 20,000+ students in NYC, providing a free, rigorous and joyous education from Kindergarten to 12th grade, in 47 schools across the city. Success Academy is constantly innovating, and improving the education and the operation of schools - in technology, in courses offered, in training teachers, in writing curriculum there a constant stream of piloting and rolling out ever-better offerings. If you want to make change in society, and have a real impact in your work, it's hard to beat. 100% of our graduates go on to college, including many of the most selective and prestigious schools in the country. That feels particularly good, as 90% of our students are of color, and are first-generation to go to college in their families. SA operates like a fast-growing tech startup in many ways and its exciting to see new ideas put into action so consistently.

Cons

Very fast-paced environment - can lead to burnout for people who don't like change.. The work is hard. SA pays well for a non-profit, but given the quality of talent that work here, many could be higher paid elsewhere. But, there are enormous rewards and satisfaction that comes from the mission, for folks who really want to make a difference in society. I had a long career in management consulting, which was lucrative and challenging, but never had this kind of satisfaction in the impact of my work before.

9 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your experiences, and your dedication to our mission.

2. 5.0

pay

Jun 8, 2022 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

get paid 50k to start

Cons

you dont get paid enough it is hard

CEO & Founder

Thank you for your feedback and for all you do for kids. Associate Teachers may be eligible for promotion to Lead Teacher, which can result in a salary increase of 10%. Typically, teachers in good standing will see an increase in salary of about 10% in their second year.

3. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of Perks, Poor Management

Jun 18, 2022 - Science Curriculum Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-I was constantly surrounded by creative, positive people. -The mission statement of the organization is continuous growth and improvement. -The office has many snacks and food items, and there were often events that provided employees with leftover food. -I got to visit many diferent school locations across New York City.

Cons

-Most of the management came from previous teaching positions, and lacked formal managerial training. -Job titles and responsibilities changed frequently. -There is a real office bureaucracy , and office politics.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

The Cutting Edge of Education Reform

Jun 3, 2022 - Lead in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with the smartest people in education, solving the most pressing challenges facing teaching and learning. Have and immediate, lasting, and meaningful impact on the children of NYC. Fight bureaucracy every day alongside the funniest and most creative people working in Ed. A chance to work and grow under true visionaries in schooling.

Cons

Fast pace, high expectations, higher excellence bar, and urgency may not for everyone. Those who need lots of specific direction and gushing praise just for showing up may be better served in a less dynamic and driven organization.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

Thank you for your feedback, and more importantly thank you for your many years with us. We agree: the pace is incredibly fast because the equity gap must be closed. Your advice is very much appreciated, and spot on.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing opportunity to work for an amazing mission

Mar 31, 2022 - Human Capital in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since graduating from college, I knew I wanted to work within the education space, and I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to work at Success Academies. Since starting with SA last year, I have been surrounded by amazing mentors with a wealth of knowledge, and as a result have seen my personal growth and development skyrocket. It is also genuinely rewarding to know that all of our work is mission-driven and supporting the futures of our scholars. Success Academies is innovative and constantly working to improve the education for both our scholars and students across the country by advocating for policy change. I enjoy working at Success because I feel that I am constantly being encouraged to be the best I can be.

Cons

At Success, you will be given all the tools you need to succeed, but it does take hard work and a strong sense of accountability to make strides towards your goals. There is a high bar of excellence here, and you are expected to give 110% to your colleagues and our scholars. The work can be fast-paced and priorities can change quickly to suit shifting needs of our schools, so you need to be adaptable. While I personally feel the pros far outweigh the cons, great, mission-based work does not come without some challenges.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

Thank you for sharing your experience! Priorities do sometimes change, especially over the past 2-3 years, as the organization has had to adapt to public health conditions. We appreciate your commitment, hard work, and flexibility.

6. 3.0

Has its pros and cons

Jun 26, 2022 - Assistant Principal in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of coaching and professional development. Not as much of a workload as most charters due to large leadership teams

Cons

Lack of diversity in key leadership roles in the organization. Lots of punitive practices towards kids and families

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to innovate and wonderful co-workers

Jun 8, 2022 - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I am always encouraged to problem solve and innovate here. My manager gives me the room to continuously problem solve and try out different solutions. I truly enjoy my co-workers and I am social with many of them outside of work - which is a huge plus. Also, I enjoy the hybrid working model. 3 days in the office and 2 from home is a good balance.

Cons

This is a very fast paced place. Sometimes the workload can be a lot so it isn't for everyone. We have a strong sense of urgency which requires comfort with agility and flexibility.

CEO & Founder

Thank you, and we appreciate your observation. It is a fast pace and not for everyone — and we agree: staff recognition for excellence is essential! Thank you for your time at SA.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Better Opportunities At Other Charter Networks and Organizations

Apr 15, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You will increase your ability to multi-task if you commit to your role, leading to increased abilities to manage multiple projects at one time - Working with students and their families on a daily basis, lots of interpersonal communication and building relationship opportunities - Health, commuter benefits generally good

Cons

- Overworked: You will be expected to manage a large number of responsibilities, deliverables that are on an unattainable level with little empathy or support from Leadership. As more and more companies work to respect a work/life balance, no attention or support is provided by SA in this aspect. - Pay inequities: You may be promoted AND/or given more opportunities within your role, but you are not compensated accordingly. When pressed, the organization will say "it's an honor to be given more responsibility" or "this will be great for your resume" but not back it up with the pay employees deserve. - Little to no attention on DEI Initiatives and/or Unconscious Bias Training. The company has done minimal to support this and consistently struggles to adapt to today's need for improved training, education and support for people of all cultures, backgrounds, genders, etc. - Poor Management: Worked for two managers who were wildly inconsistent, late on deliverables/communications, lacking in clear, concise onboarding and training resources, didn't provide insightful/productive/actionable feedback on outcomes and deliverables, unclear in delivering enterprise and local expectations and generally fed a very toxic environment by using fear/bullying tactics to lead as well as using inappropriate ethnic/cultural stereotypes in casual work conversations.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

Thank you for your feedback and for your time with us. We do provide opportunities for staff to develop new skills and advance their careers. Increased responsibility and taking on a larger swath of work comes with increased compensation. This year, all staff took “Building Diversity and Inclusion” online training; we launched a career advancement initiative that resulted in almost double the number of new school leaders of color, and introduced the option for staff to display their pronouns. We have more work to do and we are committed to it.

9. 5.0

Invigorating place to work

May 23, 2022 - Enterprise Services
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work at Success Academy are some of the most thoughtful, fun, and hardworking people you will ever get to work at. Being part of an organization of this size where everyone is committed to a lofty mission of solving the achievement gap is an incredible experience. Yes, the work hard - but the problems we trying to solve as an organization are even harder - but that is what makes this an invigorating place to work.

Cons

There are certainly areas with room for improvement, but nothing that the Executive Leadership team is actively trying to improve every day. There has been a really big push to improve the organization culture the last year and continue to make SA a better place to work.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to children. Your work is so appreciated!

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Be wary

May 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If it's your first job, the salary and benefits are pretty good, and you get to acquaint yourself with a lot of really cool people.

Cons

You end up training kids to become corporate servants from Kindergarten onward. You can bring your own ideals in, but you'll have to simultaneously manage your kids/classroom with the added weight of management telling you to be more "authoritative" and get better test scores for them to show off. It can be an okay start to a career in teaching because you'll get thrust into the classroom and get plenty of experience. If you don't want to be a teacher, I'd recommend searching for a job elsewhere. Beware their promotional materials.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

We’re sorry your experience with us was not more satisfying, but we disagree with your representation of our students. We provide significant support for kids to learn how to manage their emotions, make smart choices, and become autonomous. Every school has either a psychologist (ES) or a social-emotional learning specialist (MS). Creating safe, orderly classrooms does not mean children have to become “soulless breadwinners.” Thank you for your time with us and we hope you’ve found a better fit in your next job.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,492 Reviews

Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews FAQs

Success Academy Charter Schools has an overall rating of 3.0 out of 5, based on over 1,533 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at Success Academy Charter Schools to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Success Academy Charter Schools employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Success Academy Charter Schools. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

38% of Success Academy Charter Schools employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Success Academy Charter Schools 2.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.7 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Success Academy Charter Schools to be coworkers, benefits, career development and the cons to be management, senior leadership, culture.

Popular Careers with Success Academy Charter Schools Job Seekers