Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Eva Moskowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • strong professional development (behavior management, curriculum, leadership opportunities) (in 43 reviews)

• Great place to start your teaching career, amazing families, decent pay and benefits (in 9 reviews)

1. "Love This Place"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with some of the most motivated individuals.

Cons

I have no cons for this organization.

Advice to Management

Continue working on professional development. Leadership is a choice, not a rank. While there are people that have authority, that does not make them a leader.

2. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Elementary Music Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Elementary Music Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High demand, lots of professional development.

Cons

Lack of communication. Inconsistent protocol

"Talent Recruitment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Talent Recruitment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Recruitment Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits, great office, friendly staff, ECO friendly office, passionate employees, non profit organization

Cons

longer work hours than 9-5 occasionally, fast paced work environment

Advice to Management

continue to make employees feel valued and keep up the great work/life balance offerings and office benefits

"Mission Driven & Professional Development at its Finest"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Success truly believes in development and investment of its employees. As someone who was a career changer with little to no experience in education, they were able to leverage my skill set and develop me into not just a teacher but an advocate of all children receiving a quality education.
    - strong professional development (behavior management, curriculum, leadership opportunities)
    - personal development (time management, ability to receive constructive feedback)
    - relationships formed with families and the communities
    - Most importantly- THE SCHOLARS! They are the reason for everything. They ultimately teach you more than you teach them: about dedication, perseverance, joy, and patience.

Cons

Success is focused on hiring people who are invested in the mission but also the amount of work that goes into implementing everything we promise to our families. Because of the work load and difficulty in work life balance, the turnover rate is high. However, it is fully expressed prior during interviews that this job is not a just a job, it requires early mornings and often extended evenings of work. It requires putting the time in if you really want to be developed at the highest capacity by top leaders in education.
    - challenging work life balance

5. "Fulfilling, Energizing, Intellectual Hard Work that Changes Lives of Kids!"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Changing the trajectory of educational equality for this country is not easy. To change anything that rebukes the status quo, and rubs up against the political establishment will incur backlash. But that’ what happens every day at Success Academy. It’s proven by the incredible results these schools get for kids who would otherwise have no option aside from failing schools. Working here requires the highest of effort, solid grit, and the deepest desire to learn. It requires being ok with failing, getting feedback, and then trying again with your head held high -- all with the single minded goal of making you better positioned to help kids.

I have worked here for nearly 6 years. My colleagues are incredible, smart, kinda, dedicated people making this a community of pioneers and game changers. The environment is innovative, rigorous, fast paced and incredibly stimulating. The days fly by and I’ve learned more here than I have in my own collegiate and masters education. Yes it is intense, yes there is a high bar, no, it is not for everyone, but you are changing the world so how could it be anything less!? If you want a job that is innovating the oldest and most important civic sector -- check it out and be part of history.

Cons

Not for everyone. If you don't like getting feedback or don't have high bar for your own work product, this is not a match.

6. "Athletic Coordinator/Advisor"

Pros

Great Group Of Scholars
    Flexibility within creating your own curriculum (As an Athletic Coordinator you must run all fitness classes and coach all athletic teams)

Cons

Politics
    Lack of communication
    Cannot accept feedback from lower level employees

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees

7. "Amazing people - incredible mission"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Success Academy is incredibly rewarding and gives me the opportunity to work with a highly talented and dedicated group of professionals. There is a shared sense of mission and "can do" spirit that permeates the organization and helps drive its continued success on behalf of kids across NYC.

Cons

The organization is undergoing rapid growth so there is a steep and perpetual learning curve. However, this challenge is also a huge opportunity to learn, grow and make an impact.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on recruiting and retaining top talent.

"Valuable, Meaningful Experience"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

Pros

I have been at Success for over four years and continue to love working here. It's inspiring to be part of a community that's 100% focused on providing not only our own scholars -- but all kids -- with the opportunities an outstanding education provides.

Joining Success as a recent grad was a wonderful opportunity for me. I've had the opportunity to work closely with many smart, passionate people, gain experience quickly, and develop within the organization. I feel fortunate to have joined this organization.

Cons

The organization is growing fast and constantly changing -- this can be challenging and frustrating at times but also makes the work interesting and exciting.

"Intent to educate kids is well but system reflects factory model"

Former Employee - Former Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Former Lead Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is resourceful and can provide ample supplies to teachers and scholars. Teachers are supported by network staff to ensure high levels of preparation and implementation of the curriculum.

Cons

Success Academies intent and mission to educate inner city kids is honorable but the system is completely politicized and toxic. If you are a teacher that truly believes in the passion and art of teaching, please stay away from Success Academies. Success Academies takes young and innocent college graduates or early to late 20 something year olds and completely mold them into replicas of teachers based on a model that they think is fitting. This approach brings their system to a different level of a factory model. The system runs like the fast food joint of charter schools. They believe that you're dispensable and can be replaced at anytime. There is a strong culture of fear and for teachers or staff that push back are usually annilihated for "not buying in."

They just experienced high turnover this past academic year. Very rarely are teachers shown appreciation from Eva Moskowitz, her network leaders and her senior leaders. Most times, teachers are receiving critical feedback about their work, which is necessary. However, very few teachers, unless you're one of their superstars, receive acknowledgement and praise for their dedication.

Advice to Management

I think that management is overly conceited and value very little of student and teacher voice. Usually, it is not worth providing feedback because usually Eva and her crew are adamant about keeping the system the way it has been designed. This organization is not as progressive because the militaristic ways of getting high test scores has proven to work and that's all that matters in this organization.

10. "Overworked... stressful"

Former Employee - Ops Team
    Former Employee - Ops Team

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

benefits, pto, kids, most of families are sweet

Cons

long hours... high turnover rate. From people quitting and people being fired

Advice to Management

Listen to employee and make changes... don't