Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Eva Moskowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very rewarding work with a lot of professional development (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits and supportive leader (in 22 reviews)

Cons

1. "Excellent place for confident and driven people!"

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+VERY structured environment for all scholars (students) and staff
    +Clear deliverables and accountability systems
    +High-productivity environment
    +Great place for hard-working, dedicated, and ambitious people
    +Great salary and benefits
    +clear path to career development and promotion (if you are motivated)

Cons

I actually love working here, but I will explain some factors to consider. Be ready for long days. Official employment letter says 7am-5pm, but often it is 6:30am - 6:30pm. If you are a self-conscious or overly shy person that does not like critique, this may not be the place for you as constructive feedback is a foundation of the work culture. There's no sugarcoating for scholars or staff. We learn what we're not doing well and fix it rapidly. If you are looking for a work place where you can coast along doing bare minimum, this is NOT the place for you. This place is about give 110% all day everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! If I could ask for one thing, I would ask more official guideline (docs or videos) and specific protocols for new systems and process changes as it would be particularly useful for mid-year hires who missed summer training.

2. "Designer"

Pros

Nice people to work with, and nice benefits.

Cons

Poor leadership, stupid colleague, long working hours.

3. "Great but soul crushing"

Former Employee - Science K-3 in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Science K-3 in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost every single person you meet there will say they made lasting, meaningful impressions on the kids they worked with and vice versa for the kids on them. You earn a ton in a short time. You learn to be a really strong, analytical teacher. You learn a ton of strategies and there is on-the-job training. Lasting meaningful teacher friendships. Many opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Soul crushing. That's it. It sucks life out of you. You will work morning, day, night, weekends, everything. What is all that money if you are exhausted and stressed. Everything, EVERYTHING relies on test grades. If your students have IPAs, it doesn't matter, they will be forced to sit through hour-long tests all day long until they get it 100% correct. It's near torture. Kids, any type, shouldn't be forced to sit all day long. They become robots and so do the teachers.

Advice to Management

Give the kids a break. They are not test machines.

"Business Operations Manager"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Job stability
    Free Food and Snacks
    Network channels are supportive and have clear processes and resources
    Working for a good cause, this position is important at the schools
    Great culture, high energy

Cons

Long hours, 7am to 5pm, sometimes until 5:30-6:00pm
    Turnover is high, feels like people leave every week at the network office. Everyone is burned out by the end of the week.
    Camaraderie is lacking with network personnel
    Not much room for advancement within operations

Advice to Management

Work life balance! Probably would help the high turnover.

5. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros include: Salary, Benefits, Development

Cons

Cons include: work hours, work load

6. "Education Coordinator"

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids are great, families are great, have made great friends in colleagues

Cons

Long work hours, seemingly meaningless tasks, teachers don't understand your work and therefore do not respect you as much

"SA Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intensive and effective professional development
    unlimited (it feels like) materials and resources
    Strong adult culture and relationships (depends on the school--this is especially true of the non-Harlem schools in my opinion)
    Buy-in from parents
    Strong structural and operational procedures that enables high achievement

Cons

Work life balance woes
    Inexperienced leadership (something you will encounter in most charter schools)
    Less focus on social development of students
    The nature of data driven instruction fosters competition amongst teachers and schools resulting in questionable educational practices (I have nothing against data driven instruction. I believe it is key. HOWEVER, when it is used to foster competition, you shouldn't be surprised by news articles about got-to-go lists and teachers tearing up student work. Success has pockets of leadership with high emotional IQs and also has leadership that are not as in touch with their needs of their staff and students and focus solely on quantitative academic data. Find you a leader that can do both...
    Salary (depends on how you look at it); there is no incentive based pay on the teacher level (that is out in the open anyway). You can make a lot more at other networks.

"Great mission- terrible work environment"

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

- Their mission is amazing
    - The work they are doing to close to gap in education is great

Cons

- Treatment of employees is just as bad as everyone says
    - They treat employees are if they are replaceable with minimum to no respect

Advice to Management

Most people who sign up to work in charter schools like Success are aware of the problems with unions for teachers and would like to combat the negative effects as well. The belief that the children come first is necessary and obviously works, but treating employees with no respect is completely unacceptable. Hence your retention rate and terrible reviews

"Associate Teacher"

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The scholars (students) are motivated and worth sticking around for. They are the reason I get up for work every day.

Cons

Leadership are not all that experienced, and guidance is there when you know what to ask for, but the fast-paced environment makes it tough to know when to stop someone and ask for help. Sometimes I have been so clueless that I haven't even known what to ask for. Faculty are all young and pretty inexperienced. Leadership are not all that experienced either. There are also a lot of busywork/administrative tasks forced onto teachers that take away time we should be spending on intellectual/academic preparation. The amount of testing is insane, and the pressure put on third graders and up is questionable. They emphasized joy in the classroom during the hiring process, but teachers can sometimes be so stressed that there is little time to think about how to bring more joy into the classroom. The teachers complain a lot, which is understandable, but also makes it tough to stay positive.

Advice to Management

Be patient with new hires. You bring on recent college graduates with no experience and no certifications, but expect us to know exactly what to do. It's hard to fit in to the rigid system of rules already in place across all schools. You need to explain things more thoroughly and give new hires (who are often just joining the professional workforce) a beat to catch on.

"Absurd and Insane"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of people your own age, so have ample opportunity to make friends. However, most people who hate the leadership culture will only stay because of the coworker friends they have made.

They pay for you to get a masters in ed. Leave after the program is over.

Cons

I worked at success for three years and spent every day of my time there angry and/or afraid. The management of teachers is awful. Teachers who don't behave exactly how leadership wants them to are made to feel worthless and not in the slightest bit valued (regardless of their relationship with students or what is happening inside the class.)

I hated Success, but loved the kids and my coworkers. While not every person I worked with hated it as much as I did, I can truly say that not one person was happy.

Advice to Management

Make your teachers feel valued. High teacher turnover rate is ultimately on you.