Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz
Pros
  • "The professional development you find at success is truly hard to come by(in 78 reviews)

• "High accountability for both scholars and teachers, which helps both of us grow(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only real compliant I have with Success is the work-life balance(in 142 reviews)

• "Long hours, difficult work-life balance(in 121 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Most Rewarding Work Environment You'll Ever Experience"

Current Employee - Teacher in Flatbush, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

You leave work knowing that no matter what happened during the coarse of a day, you made positive impact on the lives of several children by providing them a safe, loving environment focused on a laying the foundation for how to critically think. If you're a goal oriented person who believes in selfless service, Success Academy Flatbush is the place for you. Family environment!!Tremendous mentorship.

Cons

You may find yourself involved in several spirited charter vs public school discussions with fellow education professionals or family members. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of data to back up your position.

February 13, 2020Founder & CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback and glad to hear you love your colleagues and are receiving great support and mentorship. Thanks for everything you do for kids and families!

2. "Love the atmosphere so far. Can't wait to get started."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great Team High accountability for both scholars and teachers, which helps both of us grow.

Cons

Non to speak of so far

"salary"

Former Employee - Enrichment Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

great kids and clean building

Cons

leadership, management, organizational, and culture concerns.

"Rose quickly, and still happy."

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SA offers you the opportunity to grow as an employee. I began as an Assistant Teacher and was quickly promoted to a lead. I continued to be promoted over my multiple years and eventually became an assistant principal. The kids, parents and my colleagues make the long hours completely worth it. I have always felt supported by my Senior Leader and know that she is consistently doing what is best for kids.

Cons

The hours are long and the work is taxing. Often you get in at 6:30 and leave at 6 pm.

July 27, 2020Founder & CEO

Thanks for your feedback and great to hear how much you enjoy the scholars and your colleagues and that you feel supported by your principal. We are focused on targeted plans to increase the diversity of our leadership pipeline. We are proud that half of teachers and 40 percent of school leadership are people of color (in contrast to 20 percent of teachers and school leaders nationally). We still have more work to do, but we are leading other sectors and school districts. Stay tuned for more information as we concretize our action plan to advance diversity, inclusion, and equity at SA.

5. "Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Middle School Art Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing students, young work culture so you'll meet a lot of people, great benefits, starting salaries are competitive, lots of break time to travel etc.

Cons

Literally everything else. You'll work 12 hour days, often thanklessly, perform tasks well outside your role and face reprimanding if you raise concerns. Everything you've read is true. Everything about Eva is true.

Continue reading
  6. "Good for beginner teacher to get their feet wet but you wont stay long"

Former Employee - Associate Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great kids that you are working with

Cons

Staff are overworked and kids are overstressed

"Toxic work culture, amazing kids"

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great resources, dedicated kids, can move up quickly

Cons

Way too much focus on behavior management (to the emotional detriment of the kids and the teachers), extremely understaffed - no support/breaks between classes (as an AT, I didn't get a lunch break - LTs don't even get one until AT have been trained for a few weeks), long hours (frequently worked from 6am until 7pm), abusive/dismissive management, no history courses in elementary school

"Terrible culture for staff, students and parents alike"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are taught to manage a classroom at a high level, the skills are good to take with you to another network in which you are able to make them your own instead of remaining militant. You are also able to get experience as a lead teacher without certification.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Leaders are inexperienced (some have never taught before) but because of the pressure they feel from network can become angry and give you feedback that 1. doesn't make sense 2. becomes personal and not professional. SA does not use their money wisely which is coming down the pipeline now. Teacher salaries do not increase as they should and there are no rewards for longevity. Students are not teated as kids and are suspended often for anyones definition of 'defiant' behavior. If parents do not want special education services for their child they are often not explained the benefits or given a true understanding of SPED, they are instead brought into meeting about their child being behind and met with recommendations to look for another school that will support the child's needs.

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ The kids + Many coworkers are dedicated, hard-working people + High salary for NYC teachers who are starting out + I had no experience/education to be a teacher before - I learned a lot during my time there even if I had to unlearn it later on

Cons

- Success makes you think their way is best. It took me years to see it for what it is. Now I work in a public school in NYC and I have the flexibility to run my classroom the way I want. Students still have behavior issues because they're kids but not the way they did at Success. We teach a SEL curriculum and use restorative practices. And expectations for teachers and students are still high. - Success uses Teach Like a Champion to teach new teachers classroom management (some without a background in education); these practices are carceral and typically make behaviors worse by harming your relationship with your students - Competitive environment with regards to testing data puts undue pressure on kids to perform on exams and creates anxiety for children and adults - Differentiation is not encouraged; the expectation is to teach the curriculum in a specific way, with very little freedom to make choices for based on students the in front of you - Leaders sometimes have little experience as teachers - High turnover leads to unqualified teachers in special education classrooms; I was an associate teacher my first year (and was paid as an AT) but co-taught in an ICT classroom. During my final year, my co-teacher had never taught before and was placed in an ICT classroom. A first-year teacher with no education/experience in the field of education cannot be an equal part of a co-teaching partnership. - Work-life balance is terrible and ultimately all areas of my life suffered; there is a culture of making you seem like you're not committed to the students if you're not spending every waking moment at or thinking about your job

"Hard Work but Worth it"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at Success because I know I'm making a different and the school gives me the resources I need to succeed. It isn't easy but at the end of the year, it's gratifying to see how much progress my students make.

Cons

It's hard work. This isn't a 9 to 5 job.

July 27, 2020Founder & CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback and your commitment to kids. We’re so glad to hear that you’re having a positive, fulfilling experience as a teacher. Good luck in the upcoming year!

Found 816 reviews