Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 5, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Eva Moskowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very rewarding work with a lot of professional development (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits and supportive leader (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Misleading about work life balance (in 81 reviews)

• Long hours and at times a stressful environment (in 76 reviews)

"For smart people who are driven to change the status quo"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*smart, creative, hard-working, funny co-workers
    *resources & training you need to get the job done
    *great learning environment -- if there's a better way, try it, do it!
    *failure is ok -- but you are expect to learn from it
    *the kids are awesome

Cons

*not for the shy, timid, slow-footed or lazy
    *your work can be all-consuming, in a good way, but YOU have to make time for your personal life -- and it can be done! (hint: exercise!)
    *your days can be crazy and unpredictable & that's good & bad

Advice to Management

Would be great to have more visibility into future growth plans...100 schools!?

"It Feels like a Big Family"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with some of the most educated and motivated people ever and it feels like a big family. It motivates me to work hard and to keep pursuing higher education. Such a great organization to be part of.

Cons

As the organization grows it needs to continue developing their leaders.

3. "Great colleagues."

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Success Academy is an energizing place to work. It is a fast-paced environment focused on the goal of expanding educational opportunity for New York City kids. I especially appreciate working alongside and learning from people with a wide array of professional experiences.

Cons

Need to be open to change as the organization is growing rapidly.

4. "Demanding but rewarding"

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Rewarding work, especially when you meet the scholars

Cons

Demanding fast paced environment that requires connection with the mission

5. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking to jump in to the education field, this is the place to start!

Cons

There are long hours and expectations are high. It can be demanding.

6. "Lead teacher"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

You get a lot of support from your leaders.

Cons

The work day is long.

Advice to Management

None

"All around awesome"

Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

The work environment is amazing, you're supplied with everything you need (it's nice not to have to spend my own money in supplies) . Teamwork actually exists here, the Principals are not afraid to enter the classroom and lend a helping hand, and the teachers are here for the children and not just a paycheck.

Cons

The day is longer, but necessary to ensure students aren't being rushed through essential material.

"Amazing company"

Current Employee - Talent Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Everyone is so incredibly friendly and supportive, the resources and professional development are unparalleled. CEO and upper management are incredibly motivated and passionate about the schools.

Cons

No cons to report, people in other reviews have stated that the work is fast paced and tiring but this job definitely isn't for everyone! You need to want to do well and care about children/education to succeed.

"Fulfilling, Energizing, Intellectual Hard Work that Changes Lives of Kids!"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Changing the trajectory of educational equality for this country is not easy. To change anything that rebukes the status quo, and rubs up against the political establishment will incur backlash. But that’ what happens every day at Success Academy. It’s proven by the incredible results these schools get for kids who would otherwise have no option aside from failing schools. Working here requires the highest of effort, solid grit, and the deepest desire to learn. It requires being ok with failing, getting feedback, and then trying again with your head held high -- all with the single minded goal of making you better positioned to help kids.

I have worked here for nearly 6 years. My colleagues are incredible, smart, kinda, dedicated people making this a community of pioneers and game changers. The environment is innovative, rigorous, fast paced and incredibly stimulating. The days fly by and I’ve learned more here than I have in my own collegiate and masters education. Yes it is intense, yes there is a high bar, no, it is not for everyone, but you are changing the world so how could it be anything less!? If you want a job that is innovating the oldest and most important civic sector -- check it out and be part of history.

Cons

Not for everyone. If you don't like getting feedback or don't have high bar for your own work product, this is not a match.

"Mission Driven & Professional Development at its Finest"

Pros

Success truly believes in development and investment of its employees. As someone who was a career changer with little to no experience in education, they were able to leverage my skill set and develop me into not just a teacher but an advocate of all children receiving a quality education.
    - strong professional development (behavior management, curriculum, leadership opportunities)
    - personal development (time management, ability to receive constructive feedback)
    - relationships formed with families and the communities
    - Most importantly- THE SCHOLARS! They are the reason for everything. They ultimately teach you more than you teach them: about dedication, perseverance, joy, and patience.

Cons

Success is focused on hiring people who are invested in the mission but also the amount of work that goes into implementing everything we promise to our families. Because of the work load and difficulty in work life balance, the turnover rate is high. However, it is fully expressed prior during interviews that this job is not a just a job, it requires early mornings and often extended evenings of work. It requires putting the time in if you really want to be developed at the highest capacity by top leaders in education.
    - challenging work life balance