Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Eva Moskowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • strong professional development (behavior management, curriculum, leadership opportunities) (in 46 reviews)

• Great place to start your teaching career, amazing families, decent pay and benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons

1. "Dedicated colleagues, supportive work environment with room to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mission-driven organization Success Academy attracts dedicated, intelligent employees and fosters a supportive team environment. The organization is growth-oriented, and supports the professional development of all staff. Employees are recognized for hard work and achievements - if you care about ed reform and are eager for new professional opportunities, Success Academy is a great fit.

Cons

Currently transitioning from start-up mode

2. "Very inspiring!"

Current Employee - Success Academies in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Success Academies in Bronx, NY

Pros

I've been at Success Academy Bronx 2 for about 7 months now, words are not enough for me to describe how amazing and special this school is. I have the best principal and leadership team. Our leadership team is super involved with the staff and is always looking for creative ways to make this not only a school but a home to all of us. Our principal is one of the most dedicated, hardworking, and caring individuals I have ever met. The energy that flows around our school is incredible and one of a kind. I wish that when I was growing up Success Academy was around!

Cons

The commute to the school is not the best. But once you get to the school, you completely forget about your commute and you realize you wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

3. "High performing public charter school system that demands excellence in teaching"

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* All classrooms supplied with high quality teaching materials: Smart Boards, MAC technology, all teachers receive a MacBook Pro to design and implement technology for all lessons
    *All teachers supported by a well trained and dedicated leadership staff and operations team
    *In house curriculum designed at the highest level with clarity and alignment with NYS Standards
    *Vast opportunities to grow teaching practice with weekly professional development and supporting instructional staff
    Since teaching for the past 13 years in high needs urban areas, my past 3 years at SCN has been extremely rewarding because of the levels of excellence our scholars achieve in mastering math, reading, writing, and science above grade level

Cons

*extended work hours- the average teaching day starts at 7 AM and runs past 5 PM, most teachers work 10-12 hours per day
    *teachers are rated by performance frequently throughout the school year and is very competitive
    *feedback from leadership team must be implemented immediately

Advice to Management

*Allow more free time to use feedback an implement it correctly

4. "At the cutting edge of education reform"

Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Success is the place for people who want to make a difference. I love working here and feeling like I am a part of really making a difference for children in New York CIty. I am surrounded by like-minded individuals who are all quite amazing. I was so proud of our scholars and their test results this past year. What makes me so happy about this is that children in poor areas in New York City have the same opportunities as rich children. It's not easy to accomplish this--it's a ton of work. But so, so worth it.

I used to work in a job where it paid the bills, but I felt very dissatisfied. It was much easier than working at Success. I knew I needed to have a job that I believed in; I actually kind of felt like I couldn't waste another moment in my life working just to make money to pay the bills. My job now is one I believe in and love doing, even when it's hard. For me, it makes all the difference in the world that I can believe in the work that I'm doing and know how important it is.

Cons

Pace is very fast. This is not necessarily a "con," but it won't be a perfect match for everyone. I'm the type of person who can't stand watching the clock and waiting for the end of the day. This does not happen at Success; there is plenty of work, and the day flies by so quickly. If you're the type of person who wants a relaxed, clock-in, clock-out job, this won't be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the development of employees. It's worth it as you grow! Keep the innovation coming because it's working for our scholars!

"Energetic and mission driven -- great people!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

I am so impressed with my colleagues -- a very smart, caring group of professionals fully committed to ensuring that our scholars have the best possible education. You can feel the energy and sense of mission when you walk through the door. The pace is fast and expectations are high which I appreciate. My hard work is recognized and I have a very supportive leadership team. The culture is one of continuous improvement so I have found people very open to feedback and working together to keep making things better.

Cons

Success Academy is a relatively new, fast-growing organization so it is important to be flexible as the organization continues to develop and change.

6. "TRANSFORMATION"

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional organization, well-paid, fun place to work

Cons

Long hours, not a job for anyone who can't take critical feedback

Advice to Management

Give your employees more personal time

"Great place to work if your desire is to close the achievement gap and create quality schools for all children."

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

Unlimited resources, Friendly Staff, Supportive Leadership, Career growth opportunities

Cons

Some parents aren't invested in their scholar's education.

Advice to Management

The most successful members of upper management know their employees strengths and support / help improve their weaknesses.

"Teaching at success academies"

Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

As a teacher at Success Academies, I am provided with the opportunity to teach at the highest level possible. We are given tons of supplies and resources to use in order to prepare and engage our students in lessons. I am always pushed to do better and as a result, my kids reach the highest of standards in every subject area. Principals are supportive of teachers and spend majority of their time giving feedback and meeting with grade teams in order to improve teacher practice. We are given tons of professional development throughout the year where we get the chance to ask questions and prepare for upcoming units. Teaching at Success is definitely hard work but with a little dedication comes great rewards. I would not choose any other school to be a part of!

Cons

Must be dedicated to the overall mission of the school. Takes a lot of hard work and diligence to keep up with the demands.

9. "It's been a great and very rewarding experience as a teacher here."

Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

The student success is amazing compared to other schools. What the kids leave knowing at the end of the year is incredible. The kids are also amazing!

Cons

The hours as a teacher at 7:30 - 5:00 which is longer at first but you definitely get used to it quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with a rigorous curriculum!

"Grow as an Educator at Success Academy Charter Schools"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

- Unparalleled professional development
    - Strong school leadership and dedicated staff
    - Great resources available
    - Strong curriculum and data
    - Data driven curriculum
    - Continual Feedback from co-workers and leadership

I have been teaching at Success for 4 years and it was the best career move for me. I have grown so much as an educator with all the support from my leaders and colleagues. I have seen so much growth in my students - they have made greater gains than the students who I taught at previous schools in middle-upper class communities. This is all attributed to the strength of the curriculum and dedicated staff.

Cons

Success Academy is a rigorous teaching environment that demands a lot from its staff (although the result of this dedication to success is quite evident in the test results). It is also difficult coming into this network if you have a lot of previous teaching experience. The Success model is very different from other schools and you must be flexible in your practice in order to be successful here. Other cons:
    - long school day/year
    - can be stressful with all the data/assessments

Advice to Management

None