Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews

Updated May 14, 2021

2.8
Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Success Academy opens doors for all!

Feb 18, 2021 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching at Success makes me feel empowered not only to do better for myself, but to do better for others. I always feel supported by my leaders and colleagues. There is never a time I feel lost because of the unlimited resources that Success has to offer employees, especially for new teachers. Working with co-teachers is also extremely helpful, as we learn from one another and all take on responsibilities to create a team that gets work done! There are also opportunities for teachers to move up within the school, making working at SA a great career choice. All of our hard work is for the benefit of the scholars, which is extremely rewarding and supports the mission of SA overall.

Cons

Although I find it difficult to think of cons as an employee at SA, I have faced some challenges. I have felt stressed at some points during observations. I also have felt stressed while teaching because there are many things that SA would like teachers to hit on during lessons. Earlier on in the year, I felt as though my work and social life schedules were coming together which stressed me out, but as I got used to working at SA, I have been able to create a regular balance!

Founder & CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback, and we are so happy to hear you’re enjoying your time with us. We know that work-life balance can be hard for educators, and we want you to know we’re here to support you. Feel free to reach out to colleagues and managers for additional tips on time management -- we also have tools to support you in this area on the Teacher Toolkit page of the Ed Institute. Thank you for all that you do!

2. 2.0

Poor treatment of educators

Apr 28, 2021 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The students and their families are wonderful.

Cons

From the moment you walk through the door, you are treated as if you are replaceable. You're constantly forced to listen to their culty savior rhetoric and belittled constantly by the newest recently-promoted AP, SL, or MD with something to prove. It's bizarre favoritism and a true shame. There is more to being an educator.

4 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

We are sorry you feel this way about your experience with SA. We do not condone and kind of belittling or demeaning style from managers, and take such complaints very seriously. Much of our culture of striving for excellence is based around constant improvement and feedback, but that feedback should never cross a line that makes a teacher feel replaceable or offended.

3. 1.0

Toxic!

May 12, 2021 - Enrollment Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team of co-workers, got to network with many families and school staff, sharpened my public presentation skills. Technology is provided. You can have personal packages delivered to the network office. Amazing families that really foster a sense of community in their respective schools.

Cons

Zero work-life balance and you'll be underpaid for the amount of work you'll have assigned while the CEO makes a 7-figure salary (public information). Executives who are out of touch with the reality of NYC families. Issues regarding race are very prevalent, especially in the schools located in the outer-boroughs! Why are there SO few BIPOC school leaders? Representation matters. Hire more BIPOC principals....NOW. Amidst a great deal of national social unrest in summer 2020, one department proposed to eliminate chess from 6 of their Brooklyn schools (not places like SA Cobble Hill or SA Bergen Beach!) where a majority of students are BIPOC; keep in mind that chess is a huge selling point at SA, and families really value that chess is offered because it helps students develop critical and analytical thinking skills. But I guess underserved Black/Brown kids don't deserve chess, right SA? A feedback-driven culture where upper management never gets held accountable for anything. In 2019, execs decided that if your title did not include "Director", they eliminated your bonus, while the six-figure earners kept padding their pockets. If you think trickle-down economics doesn't work, wait until you experience SA's top-down management style and structure. Everything SA does in the realm of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is performative and for optics only. SA is OBSESSED with optics. Just look at their social media pages around May-June 2020 and beyond. Terrible insurance plans. Having a $1400 deductible each year was like not having insurance at all.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0

Wouldn't recommend

Apr 5, 2021 - Network Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great kids and an admirable mission

Cons

Everything else, seriously. Senior leadership will micromanage everything you do and you will not be empowered to make decisions for yourself. You'll hear that SA is like a startup and moves quickly, but you'll learn it's quite the opposite. Every initiative and decision needs to make its way to the Executive Team, decided on, and then cascaded back down to you. Once your orders finally come down, the due date will be so soon that you'll have to stay up all night completing it. Senior management is just incapable of planning ahead. Your whole work stream is always figured out last minute and will leave you scrambling at all hours to make an arbitrary deadline. We have done 3-4 employee engagement surveys in the past couple years. The results, if even shared or acknowledged, are awful. There has been no changes made to address the issues that are brought up and employee turnover is quite high.

7 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear you did not have a good experience. While we take planning ahead very seriously, the past year has required many shifts, turns, and u-turns and we recognize that is has not been easy. Delivering great schooling is urgent, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial work, and we know that for some it is not a good fit. Best of luck in your future.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

DO NOT WORK HERE - HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!

Apr 30, 2021 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Foot in the door with career you would want??

Cons

Your opinions don't matter, no questions asked. I was gaslighted from the day I started and there are truly bad people who work at Success in the network. I was terminated without notice which was completed unfair and uncalled for. LITERALLY no training provided. It is a complete mess and highly toxic work environment. Everyone who works there is miserable and don't actually care about the mission. At the end of the day it is a business and they will fire you the second you are a threat. Please take your passion and skills somewhere else. This place is absolutely a sinking ship. I will be shocked if they stay open more than 10 years to achieve their goal to get to 100 schools. My passion was translated as "aggression" and "unprofessional".

5 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

We are sorry that you felt unsupported while working here. Onboarding while remote is challenging for everyone — employees and managers alike. For network positions, we do expect a certain level of experience and skills; rather than the formal training teachers and school staff receive, new hires at the network receive ongoing feedback and support from their managers. It sounds like we were not a good fit for you. We wish you well in your next venture

6. 3.0

SA

May 10, 2021 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

the kids have a great impact.

Cons

The work hours are long

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

It is what you make of it

May 4, 2021 - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing kids and coworkers; financial resources that are usually unavailable to public school teachers; all your classroom's material needs are met without question

Cons

Long hours, emotional & physical toll, poor SpEd practices, high turnover

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback and all your hard work for our scholars. SA makes a tremendous effort to meet the needs of our special education students, and this work has been especially challenging during the pandemic. We implement instructional strategies for all our scholars — including manipulatives, individualized goals, and small group instruction — that in most schools are applied exclusively for scholars with individualized education plans. We have also made significant strides in staff retention, but there is no question that working at SA is intense. Thank you for all you do. Please speak with your manager about your concerns, and hang in there! The school year is almost over, and we hope everyone has a chance to recharge before next year, which is looking much more promising in terms of the pandemic.

8. 5.0

Great

May 7, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work at love it

Cons

Nothing bad to say for this place

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's a job that pays rent

Mar 8, 2021 - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some great people who genuinely care about the kids and bettering their own practices.

Cons

I don't want to be too negative. I took this job after reading through all the positive and negative reviews. This job pays enough for me to sustain a living in NYC and it's nice for those who are trying to figure out if teaching is the right path. However, I don't receive productive feedback and I am exhausted. I am constantly calling parents or planning or grading. It's hard to have a work/life balance. People complain about it but no matter how many "stress management" sessions we have, the amount of work they expect from us is inevitable. The culture can be a little toxic. There are days I feel guilty for sleeping or enjoying a night out, thinking I am not working enough. I don't like this mindset but I have had several conversations with coworkers and many of them feel the same way. This might be the right job for you if you don't mind working all the time.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst work environment I have ever experienced

May 14, 2021 - Lead Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The kids were the only reason I stayed (they make to guilt you with that as well)

Cons

Everything. Management, work life balance, the way they make you treat children

Viewing 11 - 20 of 1,068 Reviews