KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Success Academy Charter Schools Teacher Reviews

Updated Jan 19, 2022

Found 570 of over 1,335 reviews

2.7
Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,873

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

English teacher

Jul 26, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The students are a joy to work with. Board gives fair salary

Cons

With Covid it’s every difficult to connect with my students

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Nowhere else I'd rather be doing this work

Jan 18, 2022 - Science Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strength of community within and across schools; career growth opportunities; dynamic and fast-paced work environment; high-impact, mission-driven ethos.

Cons

High rates of attrition; tough work-life balance.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee

Forced to teach their way

Jan 17, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great health insurance Tuition for master complexly paid for

Cons

Pay felt like it was good when I first got the job. However the initial 55k a year for the hours expected to work was just not cutting it. I had to travel from queens to the Bronx meaning I needed to leave for work at 5:45 to get there by clock in at 6:30 in order to try an find parking before 6:50 (my fault for not clarifying initially with the company that I needed to stay in queens). Kids came into the room at 7:10 and class started at 7:30. While I worked there I had a 30 min lunch that was often interrupted by admin to put in work for “the rest of the team”. I didn’t have a prep 3 out of the 5days due to staffing shortages. Kids were dismissed at 3:45 and I “could leave” @ 4:15 if all my students were picked up on time. Howeve admin expects you to stay after to complete phone call to parents to keep them updated. I wouldn’t get out of the building @4:15 unless I ran out of there once my kids left. I frequently did not abide by their request to call Paramus as I did not believe in a lot of their behavioral strategies with the children. Most people that start at this school have little to no background in Education. I had my bachelors in childhood education at the time and was told the exact opposite by my education professors of what SA was telling me to do. It’s a very rigid place and unless you get the right admin I don’t think this is a place anyone with an education background would truly enjoy.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

Associate Teacher

Jan 9, 2022 - Success Academy Associate Teacher in Flatbush, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was lucky to have strong leaders who lead by example. Communication within the team was strong, and all the teachers had each others back. The sense of community was really strong at my school.

Cons

The quality of the training in the beginning of the school year gave new teaches a false sense of security when it came to managing classrooms and being ready to teach. Many of the teachers I entered training The strengths of the organization are not evenly distributed however. This job is challenging. The quality of your VP makes it either easier, or harder. I bounced around grade levels, and was lucky enough to have strong managers who were receptive to feedback and cared a lot about my growth and development. I was also lucky to have a lead teacher who was grounded, and a really compassionate and knowledgeable teacher.

CEO & Founder

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are glad to know that you found a strong community at your school, and wish you the best in future roles.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lead Teacher Experience

Jan 5, 2022 - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, though work-life balance is a concern for most.

Cons

Work-Life Balance/ Harsh Leadership. Pay is less than most other schools in the city.

CEO & Founder

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Our principals are expected to provide constructive feedback to teachers, but this should not come across as harsh. We’re sorry SA was not a better overall fit for you, but wish you the best of luck moving forward.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Choose wisely

Jan 19, 2022 - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are not certified to teach it is a good salary and experience to get your feet wet.

Cons

The hours, amount of commitment, heavy reliance on data, lack of administrative support, and scapegoating teachers will have you running out of there. It’s also a who you know/ who likes you not a what you know/ what can you do type of environment. Play your cards right and get ahead; burn a bridge and you’re doomed.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee

Good experience but horrible culture

Jan 19, 2022 - Success Academy Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience to get into teaching as a 22 year old. Pay is great.

Cons

Horrible hours and expectations for staff and students alike.

8. 4.0

Overall rating

Jan 3, 2022 - Lead ICT Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- resources and materials available for students, teachers and families. Competitive salary

Cons

Must be able to balance work/home life

CEO & Founder

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and for all your hard work in service of our scholars. Best of luck in your future!

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great school system, but treat staff like factory workers

Dec 21, 2021 - Lead Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Children are amazing, the school works as a cohesive unit. People will, mostly, have your back when you are put in difficult situations. Lots of opportunities for advancement and professional development.

Cons

Unfair Wages Long hours (7:30-5) with work to take home Hard to manage work life balance Non transparent pay scale. (Since it’s so poor I imagine they hide it on purpose) It goes 50k for AT, 55 first year lead, 61, 67, 72 and then 1.5k each year after that.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time you put into teaching our scholars, and we believe we offer competitive salaries in addition to a robust benefits package.

10. 3.0

Par for the course

Dec 31, 2021 - Science Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of locations so there's flexibility for where to work.

Cons

Long days, you're expected to substitute for absent teachers so you're frequently losing your prep periods to cover for someone else.

CEO & Founder

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and for the time you spent in our schools.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 570 Reviews