KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Success Academy Charter Schools

Engaged Employer

Success Academy Charter Schools

Add a Review

Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews about "professional development"

Updated Oct 19, 2021

Found 120 of over 1,296 reviews

2.9
Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz
Pros
  • "I can honestly say that my professional development as a teacher has been tremendous(in 98 reviews)

• "The vision is clear-it's all about the scholars(in 81 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is a challenge at first(in 240 reviews)

• "Long hours to commit to if you want the job done right(in 172 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,871

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "professional development"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fast-paced working environment

Mar 21, 2021 - Associate Teacher in Springfield Gardens, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Improved work/life balance -Professional development -Opportunities for advancement -Collaborative Overall, as a new teacher working with Success Academy in this particular location I've found that it has been tremendously helpful to my professional development as a teacher overall. There are many online resources in addition to school leadership and grade band staff to help with day-to-day tasks. The work-life balance has improved and I find is highly respected at this location. I find that my advancement as a teacher and integral member of the overall team is always being considered and supported, and the collaboration amongst school leaders and all teachers in different grades is consistent.

Cons

-Long hours -Independence It is a given that as a teacher you will be working long hours in order to be fully prepared for lessons and the day as a whole. Working with Success Academy, you must be very strategic to how you spend your professional time in order to account for your personal time. While the work-life balance has improved in this location, it is up to the individual to divvy up their time accordingly to make sure responsibilities are met. There is a level of independence you need to have at the beginning, which may be a little difficult if you are new to this career path. Although there are supports in place to help you start out, the amount of information and resources can be overwhelming if you take on everything at once.

2 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the hard work, flexibility, and ingenuity of our teachers during this time! You make thoughtful points: While SA works hard to support new teachers, in the beginning they must acclimate and learn to manage their own time.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good for short term development

Oct 19, 2021 - Assistant Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, professional development, and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Long hours, can be hard to manage stress, and when you get to AP role they likely will move you around based on need, which can be a challenging adjustment.

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are happy to know that you found meaningful opportunities for growth and development here.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible work environment, bad for child development

Oct 15, 2021 - Associate Science Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decentish pay, little experience needed to start

Cons

no support, poor professional development, understaffed due to no aids, poor race relations within company, techniques which are damaging to children, just a poor school environment. Good at farming data from kids at the expense of their long term well being.

3 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

We are sorry you did not have a more positive experience while you were here. Far from being detrimental in the long- or short-term, our approach has helped thousands of SA scholars to thrive academically, and to grow into curious, creative, kind, and confident young leaders. The fact is that many SA employees, including our CEO, send their children to SA schools, as do many leaders of other charter school networks in NYC. This is the greatest possible testimony to the positive experience that children have in our schools.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great development

Oct 4, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great professional development, a lot of resources and support from leaders.

Cons

A lot of data analysis. It’s necessary but very time consuming.

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We’re happy to learn that you feel supported in your school and in your professional growth.

5. 1.0

An Honest Review-Pursue Employment at Your Own Risk

Sep 21, 2021 - Operations Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay that is typically (slightly) above market The kids are great, but as an Operations staffer don't expect to EVER have any time with them unless it is thrust upon you last minute

Cons

Turnover is perpetual Constant turnover translates into forced fluid job responsibilities "we need everyone to be flexible" be prepared to hear this Consistent interruptions in work environment reinforce two things: Your time is not respected here Do not expect to be able to get the things we've asked you to do done between the hours of 6:30AM-7:00PM They expect you to work as long as they prefer, not to leave at 5, are you silly? The leadership is by and large very difficult to respect, principals are visibly on instagram, scantily clad, partying in Aruba with some of their fellow co-workers No work-life balance Professional Development opportunities only serve their ends, they won't hear what you actually prefer to develop Generally questionable and rushed hiring practices Not tolerant of PTO They must attend mostly career fairs at colleges, they bring recent grads in and fail to orientate them properly, leaving much of the work to underqualified principals and Directors of Ops.

4 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Although we are deeply sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your time with SA, what you have outlined does not match the experience of the vast majority of our staff. Our teachers and school leaders receive ongoing training throughout the year to sharpen their skills and create the best possible school environment for adults and children. In addition, SA has guidelines for respectful social media use but employees are certainly free to post photographs from holidays they may take during breaks.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great education but long hours

Aug 7, 2021 - History Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing scholars, Intellectual press, opportunity to work with primary sources, critical thinking valued, supportive co-teachers your age, professional development opportunity, summer vacation and good pay

Cons

High stress, conflicting expectations from management, long hours, little investment in developing the whole child, rigid classroom management, revolving door

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for the work you do for our scholars!

7. 3.0

Review

Jul 8, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful mission, lots of professional development, great benefits, able to move up rapidly through the company, good for resume

Cons

School environment is very dependent on your principal

Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are happy to hear that you grew professionally during your time here.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Great in theory, but ultimately detrimental to kids and adults alike.

Jul 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good, benefits are decent, You receive a lot of professional development, you have room to change positions or move up

Cons

-I witnessed shady/sneaky ways of letting go employees- was very unfair and unethical. -Some leadership cares about electives, but some really really really do not, which is to the detriment of both students and teachers.

4 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. As an organization, we work hard to ensure our scholar talent (elective teachers) receive support, training, and resources that allow them to deliver an outstanding educational experience in their subject matter to scholars. Scholar talent teachers work closely with teachers in their same subject matter at other SA schools, as well as the network Experiential Learning team, to share best practices, enhance curriculum, and troubleshoot challenges. Thanks for your time with us and good luck in your next chapter.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

Overworked

Jun 14, 2021 - 4th Grade Integrated Co-Teacher (ICT)
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary, Benefits, curriculum provided, young staff, and professional development.

Cons

Long hours, unrealistic expectations, students viewed only as a score, power hungry youth.

2 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are dedicated to teaching the whole child in our schools, which is why we prioritize a well-rounded education with emphasis on arts and athletics, in addition to academics – far from only viewing our students as scores. Thank you for your time with us, we wish you the best moving forward.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to start a career

May 31, 2021 - Science Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of resources available to new teachers. -Training and professional development available all year long during PD DAYS. -Great benefits.

Cons

-No work life balance -You are pushed to move up even when you want to stay in the classroom. -Leaders are often young and inexperienced .

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to offer strong opportunities for professional development and growth, both for new educators who are learning the ropes and veteran teachers who may want to remain in the classroom while still taking on teacher leadership roles, and for those who want to grow into school leadership.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 120 Reviews