KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Success Academy Charter Schools

Engaged Employer

Success Academy Charter Schools

Add a Review

Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews about "scholars"

Updated Dec 21, 2020

Found 83 of over 1,287 reviews

2.9
Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz
Pros
  • "The professional development you find at success is truly hard to come by(in 83 reviews)

• "High accountability for both scholars and teachers, which helps both of us grow(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor work/life balance that can result in easy burn-out if not cautious(in 173 reviews)

• "It requires a lot of work and long hours(in 130 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,866

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "scholars"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Fantastic Experience in a High-Performing Organization

Nov 12, 2020 - Assessment Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is split into a network of schools, allowing for a more personalized experience that leads to a strong team and high levels of feedback and communication. The instant feedback and open lines or communication are extremely useful for those looking to grow their skill-set and perform at a high level. Monthly meetings at the Network Office also allow for additional training and the ability to connect with others who hold the same role throughout schools in the network.

Cons

Work days are long due to the requirement to arrive at the school before scholars. Also, due to the varied layouts, team structures, and setups of individual schools, there is a lack of official training upon initially starting the position. This can be easily overcome within the first few months if you are willing to work hard, ask questions, and are a self-starter.

Founder & CEO

Thank you so much for the time you spent with us! We will pass along your feedback and are happy to hear you had a positive experience with us.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

An Extremely Rewarding Job, With Too Long a Work Day!

Apr 19, 2020 - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at success has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. I've worked as an educator at several different locations and this has by far been my best experience. The other teachers have treated me with respect and the scholars are AMAZING. Success definitely has a rigorous behavior policy but I personally love their system. If scholars are off task or misbehaving there's a consequence, much like real life. I've worked in other districts where there are no consequences for any actions, so this policy was welcomed with open arms. ( I mean students would literally strangle other children and be told to "take a walk") The staff at Success is very young but they all are extremely passionate. I did find myself feeling incredibly old working at Success, and I'm barely pushing 30! There is an incredible amount of room for growth at Success and I've already received a promotion to lead teacher and expressed my desire to want to work my way up to a leadership role, which was met with open arms.

Cons

The only real compliant I have with Success is the work-life balance. Work days are from 7:30-5 or 7-4:30 depending on if you're in middle school or elementary school. Scholars are burnt out by the end of the day, as well as teaching staff. Make sure you take your planning periods seriously! It may seem like a great time to hang out with other staff, but you need to get all your work done in these time periods. Your day is too long to have to bring any work home!

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great branding, Terrible practices

Dec 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent. They are willing to provide training. They keep the break room stocked with free food, (though good luck finding time to eat.) They try to have two teachers per classroom.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. Their ideas of "accountability" for scholars comes down to harshly over stressing children (especially children of color) to a point that they cannot be adaptive in new situations. Everything is timed and regimented like a military academy, stress is high for staff and students where they believe the ends justifies the means. Teachers were validated for their daily emotional and verbal abuse of students if it "kept scholars accountable" and provided good test scores.

9 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

We strongly condemn verbal abuse of any kind. Scholars learn when they feel safe, loved, and challenged and our teachers work hard to create classroom cultures that are joyful, compelling, and engaging. In addition, our teaching staff is significantly more diverse than what is found in public schools across the city, state, and country. 52% of our educators are people of color, compared to a 42% average in NYC, 20% average in New York State, and 18% average in the US. Anti-racism is at the heart of our mission to end education inequality. All of us are working to level the playing field that for generations has kept low-income kids of color from accessing the opportunities that a great education provides. We will continue to evaluate our practices as we move forward in service of our families.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nope!!!!!!

Sep 11, 2020 - Associate Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with children is an amazing experience. The pay off are the relationships you build with scholars and their families.

Cons

ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE!!!!! Management micro manages and the overall system is extremely rigid not to mention recent scandals the company has been embroiled in ( check out the CEO with a quick google search), racist network policies and overall not a healthy environment I have been here for a couple months and already can see that I will not be staying...the long hours countless pointless staff meetings and all the extremely annoying things that are asked for you is beyond nerve wracking...run far away!!!!!!

10 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

I’m sorry SA is not a better fit for you. There is zero tolerance for racism at SA and we believe deeply that diversity — of background, identity, experience, and ideas — is vital to effectively serve our communities and carry out our mission. We work hard to explain our school model and instructional vision to prospective staff so they can evaluate whether they think our schools will be a good fit. We believe in choice — parent choice and teacher choice — and the majority of both groups stay with us. We recognize that our instructional vision and schooling model is specific and not for everyone. SA is a high-performance organization, and the work is intense. Feedback and coaching are ways we support teachers to get better. Many of our teachers find working here enormously fulfilling. They embrace a growth mindset and commitment to continuous improvement. They also see the huge impact they are having on kids and are deeply fulfilled by the opportunity to spark a love of learning in students and empower them to tackle enormously ambitious academic content.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great community, but requires a lot of hard work

Sep 22, 2019 - Lead Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

- SA's view on education is very progressive and rapidly closing the education gap within underserved communities - The kids and community as a whole are amazing to work with and are the sole reason the job is worth it - SA has top of the line technology for scholars and staff members to use - Leadership that I have been under have been very positive and supportive - The benefits SA provides are amazing and unheard of in the education community

Cons

- Retention rates are very low, which leads to a multitude of new teachers every year with little to no experience in the classroom - SA doesn't appreciate/reward teachers that have certifications in education: I have a master's degree and two bachelor's degrees that are education-based and get paid the same as teachers that do not have a degree in education, let alone the subject they are teaching - Long hours are expected for any teaching job, but SA work hours are extensive and, I believe, are the reason most teachers leave so quickly. I work about 75 hours a school week + around 8 hours on the weekends - Test prep is extensive and makes that time of year unbearable for everyone

5 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thanks for your feedback — it’s great to hear how much joy you get from your kids and community. We want our teachers to stay with us and take retention extremely seriously. We have made a number of changes this year to ensure teachers can thrive in our schools, including a longer training on-ramp for new teachers and even more individualized and targeted support from instructional leaders and mentors. We also have strengthened the support and training on self-care and time management that we provide. We offer free fitness classes at schools or nearby, free online counseling, and a robust series on self-care for teachers at the Robertson Center, our hub for teacher training and for sharing our approach with non-SA educators. Regarding time management, your commitment to your kids and your work are truly incredible, but the hours you are putting in sound unsustainable. Your managers and colleagues can very likely share ideas and strategies for achieving a more balanced schedule. We have heard from teachers who have shaved hours off their day through highly focused planning, sharing responsibilities with team members, and assigning non-instructional classroom tasks to scholars (our scholars — even high schoolers — love helping out!). Finally, we believe that ensuring our scholars are prepared to excel on external measures of performance is an equity issue: affluent parents spend thousands of dollars on tutors to prepare their children for various standardized tests and our kids deserve the same level of investment. Nevertheless, as we continuously refine our curriculum — increasing its rigor, depth, and breadth — we have been able to reduce the number of days we spend on preparation for external tests each year. This year, we also reduced the number of internal assessments in both elementary and middle school, so that our educators and scholars can spend more time engaged in rich discussion and analysis of great literature and complex mathematical problems.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

If you want to be at the forefront of an educational revolution...Look no further than SA!

Aug 8, 2019 - Assistant Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

Success Academies Charter Schools have a long history of being an innovative organization. They have created schools that are both equally joyful and rigorous, where scholars, teachers, and parents are forced to present their best selves as we all have one common goal: ensuring that our children are compassionate, hardworking individuals ready to take on any challenge and leave a lasting legacy and impact on the world. SA does this by providing teachers and school leaders with constant, year-long professional development and support. Standouts are recognized and promoted for high achievement and their ability to maximize potential. SA's curriculum allows teachers to take ownership of their classrooms and bring forth new ideas that can enhance scholar learning. Scholars go on monthly field studies to amazing venues, museums, parks, etc as a means to fully immerse themselves in whatever concept/topic they are learning. Parents are asked to be equal and active partners and are invited to numerous school events and functions in hopes of building true, authentic relationships. To see this organization grow and to be a part of the lasting impact it has on its community has been truly an honor.

Cons

Hours can seem long if one does not know how to manage their time efficiently.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing place to work, especially those looking to make strong, broad educational impact.

Jul 18, 2019 - Assistant Principal in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

SA not only cultivates incredibly progressive & joyful places for kids to learn, but also is a place that is HEAVILY focused on their dual mission and it is amazing to work for an company that is highly organized on multiple fronts in making changes that directly (positively) impacts our kids & our communities. The scholars and families are amazing to work with, teachers are more dedicated/reflective than any other school districts I have worked in, and upper management is supportive, highly responsive and committed to fostering a culture of feedback. The professional development and opportunities for personal growth are tremendous -- I don't think any other k-12 district/network in the country is as progressive in school design or committed to teacher development. High expectations, consistent support from school leadership, great place to build community & great benefits.

Cons

This job takes commitment & is hard work. If you are looking for a 9-5 you are in the wrong job field entirely. Schools are solid but SA still feels like a startup in many ways, so the hours can feel long but the rewards are right in front of you every day -- makes it worth it.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place for development

Sep 18, 2020 - Sprint Special Education Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love working here. Great experience so far

Cons

Sometimes we can’t support all of our scholars due t9 barriers

Founder & CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback and glad to hear you are having a positive experience!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

invigorating and exciting place to work

Aug 7, 2019 - Director, Network in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

SA is in an incredibly fun, interesting, and engaging place to work. I love my co-workers and have not met a single person here who is not very smart, highly competent, and deeply committed to the work, but the culture does not feel competitive. Rather, people collaborate and cooperate to get things done. Needless to say, the mission is incredibly inspiring and motivating and it is a joy to spend time in the schools, see how engaged the scholars are, talk to educators who are so committed to the kids, and hear from families about the amazing work teachers are doing with their children. What inspires my greatest loyalty is SA's commitment to continual improvement. Everyone here is very honest about where we are falling short and is genuinely focused on continually improving our schools so kids, families, and educators have a better and more enriching experience. Our schools are not perfect of course, but it's hard to imagine an organization working harder, smarter, and more persistently to continually improve the education it delivers to kids.

Cons

Sometimes there can be overlapping chains of command which lead to confusion about ownership of certain projects.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Love the kids, needs more accountability @ TOP

Jul 8, 2020 - Sprint Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Without a doubt, the scholars (students) are the best part of working at SA. Being able to teach and interact with them truly made it all worth it, even on the worst of days. Health insurance, dental, vision, 503b, etc were all competitive with marketplace, and widely accepted throughout the 5 boroughs. Appreciate how much reading and math are center of their curriculum. Saw scholars at a young age mastering difficult late elementary/early middle school concepts and ideas. At a school level, in my experience, the administration is much more responsive than the network-level staff, and will more often than not side with teachers and staff over network staff on curriculum, employment, and more.

Cons

YOU ARE AN "AT-WILL" EMPLOYEE. And can be fired at any time, for any reasoning. It is incredibly difficult to find a work/life balance while working here. Often choosing one leads to consequences in the other. Network management is extremely far-removed from what happens in their actual classrooms, and has been complicit in covering up scandals and other bad-behavior at the network and school level - rather than addressing it, and making lasting change. As has been recently (July 2020) discussed at SA and outside of SA (news, social media), initiatives around diversity, equity, and inclusion need to change and become more focused on addressing the concerns of BIPOC staff, scholars, and families. Special education is extremely hit or miss. The teachers staffing these classrooms 9 times out of 10 have not received proper training to address the needs of these vulnerable scholars as they would in a typical DOE school. Writing, handwriting, and culturally-responsive teaching need to become a much larger focus. SA Network is currently cutting access to 'specials' (art/dance/chess/basketball/soccer) that were once hallmark of their schools. Only a disservice to the scholars. Often feels like special education is thought of as a way for the network-office to make money from the government, rather than truly addressing their needs. Both the HR and Technology Support teams can be irresponsive to teacher needs.

7 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thanks for your feedback. It is true that employees at SA, like employees at virtually all non-profit organizations, are at will. We value our employees and work hard to give them the support they need to thrive in their roles and advance in their careers. Given the current financial crisis and resulting cuts in public school funding, however, we have had to tighten our belt and make some difficult decisions about resource allocation. We are committed to continual improvement and are aware that we have many growth areas. We are taking a number of steps to ensure that diversity, inclusion, and equity are values we live and breathe at every level of our organization and are continuing our ongoing efforts to ensure that each of our schools is nurturing scholars academically and emotionally and giving them the support they need to flourish. Best of luck in your next endeavor.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 83 Reviews