KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Success Academy Charter Schools

Engaged Employer

Success Academy Charter Schools

Add a Review

Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 23, 2021

Found 169 of over 1,287 reviews

2.9
Success Academy Charter Schools Founder, CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz
Pros
  • "The professional development you find at success is truly hard to come by(in 83 reviews)

• "High accountability for both scholars and teachers, which helps both of us grow(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor work/life balance that can result in easy burn-out if not cautious(in 173 reviews)

• "It requires a lot of work and long hours(in 130 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,866

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Success Academy Charter Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

So much work, but for a great cause

Sep 10, 2020 - Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Admirable mission and goals for education

Cons

Too much work, lack of work/life balance

1 person found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback and your work here. We encourage you to reach out to your manager to discuss work-life balance concerns, or you can also raise this concern in the upcoming staff engagement survey in order to spark a broader discussion of possible solutions when you review the results as a team

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Just a mixed bag across the board

Jan 14, 2021 - Teacher, Elementary School
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Met some great coworkers who cared about kids and were incredibly hard working -Some of the smartest, best educated kids I've worked with -Parents who really care and are invested -Lots of resources for the classroom, you never have to buy something using your own money, lots of awesome supplies for kids. -Electives and science taught every day -They let me go part time for a semester after my son was born

Cons

-Bad work life balance -Way too big an emphasis on testing as the only metric for success -So many of the kids are stressed and anxious. Lots of test anxiety -Cookie cutter, kids aren't encouraged to be themselves or be unique, but to conform to one model of SA perfection -And obviously all the negative things you can find about them online are 90-100% true

Continue reading
      6 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Anti-racism is at the heart of our mission to end education inequality, and we are deeply committed to ensuring that our school communities are safe, welcoming, and inclusive for scholars, families, and staff members. If staff members observe troubling behaviors or attitudes that suggest racism, we urge them to raise it with their managers. We also believe that ensuring our scholars are prepared to excel by external measures of performance is an equity issue: affluent parents spend thousands of dollars on tutors to prepare their children for various standardized tests and our kids deserve the same level of investment. Nevertheless, each year, as we continuously refine our curriculum — increasing its rigor, depth, and breadth — we have been able to reduce the number of days we spend on preparation for external tests. We know how challenging remote learning has been and have been inspired by the flexibility, ingenuity and commitment our teachers have demonstrated during this crisis. Thank you for the time you spent with us, and best of luck.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Rigorous work environment

Jan 23, 2021 - Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very fast-paced work culture where you will grow and test your limits.

Cons

Poor work/life balance that can result in easy burn-out if not cautious.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We know teaching is indeed demanding — even more so in a pandemic! We appreciate the time you spent with us.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Believe the reviews!

Jan 14, 2021 - Operations Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great teams and hard-working people!

Cons

An extreme disconnect between Network and school-level employees. Hardly any work-life balance.

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that working in education is a demanding career, and that remote work makes it all the more challenging. We routinely collect feedback from our employees to strengthen the partnership between the Network and School Teams. Thank you for the time you spent with us.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee

Wouldn't recommend unless desperate for job

Jan 15, 2021 - Assessment Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, some of the staff are fun to work with

Cons

Little work life balance, toxic environment at times

3 people found this review helpful

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Good for training

Jan 23, 2021 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

PD, training, salary is ok to start, enhanced work ethics

Cons

Culture, work life balance, hours, leadership

7. 2.0

Ok

Jan 18, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s okay. Could be better.

Cons

Work life balance. Treat everyone with respect.

3 people found this review helpful

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Teacher

Jan 12, 2021 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Provides great opportunities to children

Cons

Work life balance was very poor

2 people found this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback and the time you spent with us. We know work-life balance can be hard for educators. To help balance, we provide time management training, and benefits such as free, online therapy and medical visits, exercise classes onsite at schools, and Employee Assistance Program that includes tools for managing stress, resources and referrals for emergency child, elder, and pet care, and legal and financial consulting.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Quick Review

Jan 7, 2021 - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- working with the kids - quick advancement

Cons

-no work life balance -purposeless meetings

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Teaching is indeed demanding — even more so in a pandemic! — and your managers and colleagues can very likely share ideas and strategies for achieving a more balanced schedule. We know of teachers who have shaved hours off their day through highly focused planning, sharing responsibilities with team members, and assigning non-instructional classroom tasks to scholars (our scholars — even high schoolers — love helping out!). In addition, please reach out to colleagues and managers for additional tips on time management -- we also have tools to support you in this area on the Teacher Toolkit page of the Ed Institute. We are also always looking for ways to streamline our operations to work as efficiently and effectively as possible. Please don’t hesitate to raise your concern about meetings with your manager or in our next employee engagement survey. Your feedback is important to us!

10. 3.0

High Expectations

Dec 10, 2020 - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Community of school, hard working peers

Cons

Difficult work life balance due to extremely high expectations

Be the first to find this review helpful

Founder & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. There are no two ways about it: Teaching is a demanding career. We appreciate your commitment to kids and thank you for your service during such a challenging time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 169 Reviews