SuccessFactors Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • Flexible schedule with a work from home a needed atmosphere (in 20 reviews)

• Sympathetic attitude attitude toward teleworking and work life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance wgeallenas a ch (in 29 reviews)

• Some changes after the SAP acquisition (in 22 reviews)

1. "You will be assimilated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time

Pros

Nice building; flexible hours; okay pay

Cons

Much time and effort goes into migrating toward how SAP does things, answering to SAP people and performing tasks for them. The SuccessFactors staff is a fraction of what it once was; often the building seems empty.

Advice to Management

Just get it over with: Eliminate the SF name and call everyone SAP.

2. "Sales Exec"

Former Employee - Sales in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous benefits, PTO. Autonomy, ability to work remote, supplemented public commuting expenses.

Cons

Post acquisition, SAP has no concept of cloud technologies nor how to support. Successfactors had great company culture, good management and leadership. All this is gone and is handcuffed by outdated infrastructure and tools - taking far too long to get tasks done.

Advice to Management

Your best and brightest are leaving or have left. Invest in current management training and leadership. Not just warm bodies to fill the open roles.

3. "Look promising but a disappointing story"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parent company SAP is big and it gives stability to SuccessFactors business. Some good colleagues. Open communication by management to all employees.

Cons

Feels like a dead end for engineers. Below average total packages compared to most companies in the area. It feels like I work for a poor company that is doing bad and has no money. The company will have a difficult time to attract quality talent, keep existing talent, and build great things unless they spend money on its employees. SAP seems to have less interest in SuccessFactors future.

Advice to Management

Don't make engineering your low priority. Strong talent can really change the company's future.

5. "Difficult to hit quota"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Base salary is solid, OTE is great (if you can hit your target). From what I hear, it was a pretty great place to work prior to the SAP acquisition.

Cons

Revolving door in sales at all levels. There are a select few with strong patches, but most people just have territories where it is going to be really difficult for anyone to hit their number. Many are not even close.... HCM is not a strategic priority of SAP. It is a soft spot, like CRM. HANA is the priority.

"Bad UI team in Reston"

Former Employee - Software Engineer (UI Developer) in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer (UI Developer) in Reston, VA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time

Pros

Free time PTO. Free drinks. Free gym. Ok compensation and benefits

Cons

A lot of political fighting in UI team in Reston. Upper team don't know how to handle it and gave promotion to people only knows how to please them. Not a "everyone is equal" culture compare to other teams

Advice to Management

Build a stand alone UI team in Reston is a joke.

"Cautious optimism for future improvements"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the product concepts, the team I work with, my direct Manager, freedom PTO policy and ability to work from home. Always something new to learn and opportunities to work on interesting projects. There are still talented, dedicated people in leadership roles who understand what made SuccessFactors great and retain the values that created the formerly awesome culture!

Cons

There is a severe disconnect between new leadership (SAP) and the rest of the organization. Major issues are acknowledged over and over without marked improvements. Lack of transparency in communication and poor planning/implementation/measurement of initiatives to remedy major issues. Challenging to maintain motivation when we "hear" about improvements, but don't "see" positive outcomes. Pay for performance went out the window last year. Talented people are leaving or actively looking. Have to fight for work/life balance. Probably the most disturbing is hearing "It's not MY job" on a regular basis now. That simply didn't happen a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! We know how to solve the problems and want to be part of the solutions. The job market is once again competitive...retain your talent. If you are not going to pay for performance any longer then increase focus on career development planning, create opportunities, increase perks that benefit everyone (including remote employees!). Be truthful and transparent in communication.

"A community divided.."

Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Successfactors under the watch of Lars was an amazing, high energy atmosphere that had a vision. Let's say things haven't been the same since the SAP acquisition. There are a few people from the SF days who are still with the company but all seem to be leaving one by one. The South SF office is really nice with lots of space for one to function and there's free food and snacks most of the time. Comp and benefits are above average vs. the industry and most people are nice.

Cons

SAP management has taken over and they either 1) have no clue about what made Successfactors so successful or 2) have a clue but have their hands tied due to other quantitative initiatives or 3) fail to see any issues or problems within the organization. There are so many layers of management that nothing gets done or approved in a timely manner (ie: taking 6 mo - 1 yr to backfill a role. Which leads me to the next issue: teams are almost never properly staffed AND trained in a way where they understand the product. This holds true in areas such a customer support to product management. Just because you're adding headcount (coincidentally all from INDIA) doesn't mean that they are suitable to do the job as they lack the soft skills needed to deal with American customers. In addition, management expects that a mere 2 weeks of rag tag (non-existent) training programs will get these trainees up to speed and working on levels as a tier 3 support associate

Advice to Management

Properly staff your teams with qualified individuals and stop taking the cheap way out by hiring overseas. Issues hardly get resolved by them which leads to a disgruntled, dissatisfied customer. Train up and promote within. I've seen too much talent leave the organization within the last year. Metrics are cute, since they quantify goals, but how you react to those not so great metrics is indicative of your success. Be transparent and talk to your customer success teams, product managers, consultants and engineers and ask them what you can do to make their jobs easier.

"Was the best company I've ever worked for -- then we got bought by SAP"

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few fantastic employees left from our pre-SAP days, and I love working with them. The office is also pretty cool, and there's plenty of flexibility in when/whether to physically arrive -- working from home is fine.

Cons

Now that we've been bought by SAP, the true decision-making happens in Germany, despite the fact that SAP has historically failed in the Cloud. The Works Councils have a strangle-hold on the company, so there's little correlation been performance/experience, and professional opportunity. SAP had layoffs earlier this year, and the determining factor seems to have been whether or not the employee was German: U.S-based team members almost all got sacked, but our colleagues in Germany held onto their positions, or got transferred within SAP. Thus, the decision-makers are almost completely insulated from the consequences of bad decisions. Most of the SuccessFactors employees who were with SuccessFactors when we got bought by SAP, have fled (probably less than 10% remain).

Advice to Management

Lars was right. The only way SAP will succeed in the Cloud long term is if you keep the Cloud business separate from the legacy on-premise business. Stop putting the folk who have failed in the Cloud in charge of the folk who have succeeded -- that's a sure fire way of getting us to leave for other companies -- and you paid billions for us. I'm on Glass Door today because I've finally had enough, and am researching how much I should I ask for in my next job (I've already interviewed with the hiring manager, and am meeting with HR tomorrow).

"It Will Be Different, That Won't Be Bad (If You Can Tolerate Change)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful digs, smart, caring people. A special cultural legacy left by company founder. Generous perks. Casual environment. Pride in product. Inspiring colleagues.

Cons

Continued SAP integration pains, difficulty getting information. Networking essential to getting your job done. If you were used to having everything spoon fed to you, get used to the new navigation methods.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly and tangibly. Too much abstraction leaves employees wondering what it has to do with them. Be as transparent as possible. Lack of transparency (this means everyone) leads to mistrust, gossip, lowered morale as a result of people feeling left in the dark or left out.

"Times have changed, not a good place to be"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to be transparent, open, full of team work and spirit. The good ole days are gone.

Cons

SAP really took over the company culture to start 2014 and it has been a train wreck. There is no SF identity anymore. SAP is completely disconnected to SuccessFactors market needs, they have just been making the company more SAP like....but they could have stood to gain much more if they leveraged SF strengths more effectively.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make SF, SAP. The company was awesome and had great market presence before you began bleeding it.