Suddath Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Mike Brannigan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Easy to get a job here, some great people to work with" (in 5 reviews)

• "This is a fun environment--we celebrate people, employee appreciation week, our football teams, and busy peak times with food and fun" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is very political" (in 4 reviews)

• "Lots of senior management, lots of meetings, lots of egos" (in 2 reviews)

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time

Pros

Suddath truly cares about their employees.

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better.

2. "CSR"

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time

Pros

Good old boy club at its best

Cons

Must be a good old boy to fit in.

Advice to Management

Hire more than your friends

3. "Crappy"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited amount of work hours available.

Cons

Terrible management, horrible attitudes, bad culture.

Advice to Management

Wayne NJ, have more respect for people.

4. "It depends"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying its best to innovate within the old industry of moving and storage. Many trajectories are quite promising, and the leadership is thinking deliberately about what choices to make and how to move forward to stay in business.

The culture tends to improve. The Human Resources department is always helpful, and for the most part, employees feel empowered to speak up if they have a need.

There is a typical set of corporate benefits, including tuition reimbursement.

There are many opportunities for a career growth, although your mileage may vary depending on race / gender. There are many women in mgmt and leadership roles on many levels, but representation of people of color in senior leadership is almost at zero.

Flexibility exists: there are quite a few remote employees, and people have options in choosing their hours. But again, your mileage may vary based on where you're at: operations people in general have less flexibility. Home office dress code is relaxed, it is "dress for your day" policy.

Teams are friendly, and there is a sense of comradery. Chances are you'll make great friends for life there.

Cons

First, there are many cons related to the business itself. The nature of moving is that it is seasonal, which means that there is never enough people to work in the summer (overtime, stress, anxiety), and too many people in the winter (layoffs). The business operates on razor-thin margins, which triggers frequent layoffs. None of this is exclusive to Suddath, but more of a general tendency.

The salaries, in general, tend to be lower than the market average. There is no salary transparency in the company.

Benefits, while exist, aren't the best. Healthcare premiums are very high, 401k portfolio options are weak and expensive in management, 401k match is low.

IT is under constant pressure and is seen as nothing but an expense (although this outlook is changing, it might be changing too slowly). This stagnates company's own innovation efforts and prevents technology from making cost-saving improvements and changing the way the business is done.

Culture, while improving, is still a bit conservative. Many members of the senior leadership have been in their roles for many decades, and some of these leaders are stuck in their ways of doing things. Which again, slows down the progress.

Diversity (racial, ethnic, generational) is weak.

There is little investment in employees' wellness. There is a gym downstairs, and there are a few initiatives throughout the year, but nothing that would move the needle significantly. There isn't a strong health/wellness/sports culture.

Advice to Management

Invest more in technology, see it as an opportunity to innovate and thus to save costs, not to just spend money.
    Keep improving the culture, keep adapting to the modern times.
    Make the company friendlier for younger generations.
    Figure out a better way to deal with the roller coaster of the business seasonality.
    Pay adequately.

5. "Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Suddath Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with many options

Cons

Employee turnover happens quite often.

6. "Corporate with a small business feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming from a small business background, I was not used to the corporate environment. Suddath has a culture that is accepting and friendly. Everyone knows each other's name and actually makes eye contact and says 'hello' in the halls.

Cons

It's a long commute for me personally, but worth it.

Jun 11, 2018 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your corporate experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please... More

7. "Suddath - Quality and Culture"

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time

Pros

The company lives out its commitment to employees and customers through a culture of quality and safety.
    It welcomes new people and promotes from within.
    There are lots of opportunities and learning and career advancement are proactively supported.

Cons

Lots of systems to learn.

Jun 11, 2018 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and support of our Suddath culture. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrfeedback@suddath.com.

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours - they don't hound you if you show up a couple minutes late. They provide continental breakfast 4 days a week.

Cons

Very old school. Necessary changes take FOREVER to occur because it has to go through management. People are being let go with no replacement. Being overworked with little pay increase.
    Every year after peak season is over, there's "firing" season and everyone on high alert on who will be let go.
    No real solutions are given. Just treatments to the symptoms

Advice to Management

No need, they won't listen

May 18, 2018 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at hrfeedback@suddath.com.

"Nightmare."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. Horrible company. They make you do the job of three people and do not compensate you. Male employees make more than female employees on the exact same position.

Cons

Spiraling down since Brannigan took over. Shame to see what once was a decent company go downhill like that. Leaving soon.

Advice to Management

They don't listen. HR doesn't listen and will respond to this post saying something "we want to hear from you, please email us at xyz".

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and comraderie for special events (Halloween, Jaguar games, etc.)

Cons

Severely underpay employees. Atleast in the lower tier positions

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees. Know that they do not make as much as your, and also know that they know that. There must be a common level of respect for each other in order to execute the job.