Sue Ryder Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Sue Ryder Chief Executive Heidi Travis
Heidi Travis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Sue Ryder is such a fantastic charity to work for" (in 10 reviews)

• "Really great cause to be a part of" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sue Ryder spends less than half of its expenditure on charitable activities" (in 6 reviews)

• "Theres no cons that can be thought of" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good"

I worked at Sue Ryder part-time

Pros

I only worked as a volunteer after school but the workers were very kind to me

Cons

I wasn't given the chance to do anything other than cleaning

2. "overall good"

I worked at Sue Ryder full-time

Pros

nice staff, good management, good job

Cons

sometimes quiet periods, no help

"Amazing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sue Ryder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Positive Workforce, Amazing care & support

Cons

None at present, keep doing what you are doing.

Advice to Management

None at present

4. "Terrible management which ruins what could be a great charity"

I worked at Sue Ryder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got paid quite well to do not very much work, could work from home.
    Not a stressful role.

Cons

Shambolic and corrupt management with little idea of how to actually get things done.
    Senior management are on over inflated salaries, with very little accountability for anything it would seem, while junior managers are paid peanuts and have resource removed from them on a regular basis.
    Sue Ryder like to believe they are a caring employer who put employee engagement and wellbeing at the forefront of everything they do, but they pay lip service to this concept and don't really mean it.
    Its very hard to progress your career at Sue Ryder. They like to keep the more junior managers in their place, unless your 'face fits' and you are very good at being sycophantic, forget any career progression at this organisation.

A lot of money is wasted, if they did not have free labour and stock and had to operate as a real business where these things are paid for, they would not have survived this long.

There is great emphasis on the Charity's behaviours, but I do not see these behaviours role modelled by SMT, quite the opposite in fact.

Advice to Management

Rather than put on big engagement events twice a year where you pay for staff to travel nationally to a venue in Birmingham but nothing actually happens to result in greater engagement, why not try thinking about what will actually engage people, treat them well, pay them well and really listen and respond to their concerns rather than just pay lip service.

You can't force your workforce to be engaged any more than you can force someone to be happy and these meaningless engagement events you do are counter-productive and a waste of money.

5. "Retail Recruitment & Selection Administrator"

Current Employee - Retail Recruitment & Selection Administrator in Sudbury, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Sue Ryder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first week at Sue Ryder and I have been welcomed by the team and have been provided with a fantastic introduction to what the Charity involves. Very genuine company, with a real passion and aspiration to care. I look forward to starting my new role.

Cons

As this is my first week of work, I do not have any comments in this area at present.

6. "Shop Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sue Ryder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team spirit, culture and workload

Cons

Salary, shop facilitates and shop management

7. "Assistant manager"

I worked at Sue Ryder full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, easy going, flexible

Cons

Bad management, not so close with employee,lack of training

"A consistant deterioration of the value of their workforce"

I worked at Sue Ryder full-time

Pros

Working towards a worthy cause. Flexible working around location, growing and moderising healthcare delivery and locations,

Cons

Inflexible thinking, blinkered, uncaring towards workforce, unrealistic outcomes, senior managers untouchable and beyond reproach, disconnected, high turnover, little diversity, institutionalised thinking, unreasonable long hours, lack of transparency of pay and benefits, overt blame culture, poor role-modelling

Advice to Management

Having worked happily for Sue Ryder I am cogniscent of a worrying trend that is leading to a lack of duty of care towards the workforce. The people are seen as a disposable and easily replaceable comodity of little value and not worth investing in. The senior leadership team make all the right noises and have a value worthy statement within the strategy and list of behaviours to conform to that might suggest they are a "people first" organisation. However, there is little evidence to show this is true currently. There is high turnover, little to no diversity/inclusion or an apetite to change this. Senior leadership is remote and too far removed from workforce to witness the hardship that exists or the additional hours staff are needding to do to achive the necessary outcomes as a results. Nor are they seeing the impact it is having on individuals. This organisation is supported by a large number of volunteers who are regularly expected to subsistute paid staff roles whilst executive leaders have the luxury of inflated salary packages, private schools and second homes. Whilst I recognise that charities need to have sound business acumen and be in a position to attract the best quality managers in order to be sutainable and have a legacy to leave for the future. This should not only represent the top 25% of staff. All staff should be recognised and rewarded appropriately and supported in being the best they can be. Executive Leadership Team make up is inballanced with weight of decision making biased by directors having more than one directorship, therefore have double voting power. One executive mamber regularly breaches all behvaiours yet is never repremanded. This is a poor role model and underpins the leavel of bullying that is regularly going on. Shame on you

"Experience"

Current Employee - Lead Volunteer in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Volunteer in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at Sue Ryder part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to gain experience

Cons

Don’t get paid as its voluntary

10. "Back for the third time"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Braintree, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Braintree, England (UK)

I have been working at Sue Ryder part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet some very interesting people, and sometimes have a good laugh,
    Obviously all working hard for a good cause.

Cons

It can be very demanding and physical. the pay is not brilliant