Suffolk Construction Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2020

4.0
Suffolk Construction Chairman & CEO John F. Fish
John F. Fish
Pros
  • "Many companies claim they want their employees to have a work/life balance, however Suffolk really practices this value(in 13 reviews)

• "Flexibility in schedule, fantastic gym, great people(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, weekend work, not enough vacation(in 18 reviews)

• "With that said if you put in the time and hard work, you will have your work life balance(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Proud to work for such a caring company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture at Suffolk has always been strong, but never stronger than in the response to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The examples of people stepping up to take care each other and of our clients and trade partners are impressive. Teams are getting stronger, we are embracing technology, and our leadership has been incredible with their communication. John Fish, the CEO regularly tells the whole company that he, personally, has got our backs and to contact him directly if we have any concerns. On every company call (which are happening twice a week now) the leaders emphasize that this global crisis will only make us stronger because we are prepared, we are strong, and every one of us is stepping up to meet the challenge.

Cons

You have to be willing to work HARD at this company. This is not a typical 9-5 job. Priorities change constantly, and expectations are high.

Continue reading
  2. "Exciting work and great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a high energy, forward thinking company with lots of opportunity to make a difference. Leadership truly cares about people and puts people first.

Cons

Every company has "cons." Nothing here stands out.

Continue reading
  3. "Thought and Technology Leader in the Industry"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cutting Edge Technology, Spend/Spent on outsourcing or improving routine processes or putting latest and greatest technology at our team(s) fingertips to be more effective with time and managing Risk.

Cons

Currently there is no Employee Stock Ownership plan.

Continue reading
  4. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

CEO who cares about the progression and life of employees, very supportive teams and peers, forward thinking (digitally, commercially, etc.), and challenging projects

Cons

Occasionally long hours during deadlines

5. "Happy as a clam"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, great culture, smart people. Always looking to innovate and be an industry leader

Cons

Haven't found one yet worth mentioning.

6. "Amazing Company and Great People"

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Suffolk has amazing benefits ranging from health benefits all the way to personal benefits. Many companies claim they want their employees to have a work/life balance, however Suffolk really practices this value. The CEO, John Fish, is completely transparent in everything that he says and does and truly cares about the employees as well as the company which is a very rare trait in a CEO. Suffolk is truly cutting edge with technology and diversification.

Cons

Absolutely zero cons with Suffolk.

"My experience with Suffolk was mixed. Had awesome co-workers and supervisors but some awful Project Exec."

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Miami, FL

I worked at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved working at Suffolk, the benefits are great and they make sure you have everything you need to get the job done. They have alot days off. Great Health Insurance and 401K. They have great programs to help employees and the community and alot of volunteer opportunities.

Cons

The only con I have is that I had a bad situation with the Highest Accounting and due to that I did not get an opportunity to transfer to a Project Accountant position even though I had all the requirements needed. The company did well by me in the situation but the Accounting Dept did not give me an opportunity due to their Highest Accounting being fired even though he was at fault. But this is a man’s world and even women push you aside if its convenient for them.

Continue reading

"A Place for Hard Workers Who Strive for Greatness"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent CEO who cares about his employees health and well being. Talented coworkers. An environment that strives for high achievement

Cons

Not a place to work if you want to coast through your job. Not a place for people who don't go above and beyond their job title. This company requires you to be proactive.

"Superintendent"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

like it a lot now

Cons

i dont have any sorry

"Setting the bar, Setting it Higher"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Miami, FL

I have been working at Suffolk Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strive to be the best. It’s that simple. If you want to be the best and understand what it takes to be the best, at what you do, who are you, at work and in your personal life, then you will fit in at Suffolk. Obviously at every big company you have a bunch that don't. That is inevitable. you cannot escape complacency. However, if you want the best for yourself, want to be the best at what you do, want to run the biggest and most high-profile projects, Suffolk is where you want to be. They recognize talent and want it at the top, regardless of what region you are in. This drive within the company creates opportunity that you yourself are responsible for. That is the most rewarding characteristic of this company for me personally. Not only will they set you up with the resources to succeed, they will allow you to take on as much responsibility, not only within your role but outside of it as well, that you can handle. They will allow for lessons to be learned while providing a solid foundation of guidance. All while surrounding yourself with titans in the industry. From Boston to Miami to Houston and LA. Not everyone is a great fit for every company. But those who want to be best, yearn for more, hold themselves to a higher standard and strive for perfection will find a home at Suffolk Construction. The opportunities are here and it’s up to you to take them and make them happen.

Cons

This is not what I would list as a con but more of an item to be mindful of. Suffolk pays higher than most, has more benefits than most and provides for its employees outside of the employment contracts more so than other companies. the true stories of John Fish and the Giving Circle helping in times of need are endless. I can speak to that from experience. With that said it, coming into this company with a "its earned" attitude vs "I'm entitled to this" attitude will help pave the way for a tremendously successful career at this company. The benefits and packages are there for a reason. For me personally there is not greater satisfaction knowing I gave it my absolute all, outworked the competition, got it done and exceed what was expected. However, that does not happen by just showing up. you must WANT it. If do you, you'll get it. With that said if you put in the time and hard work, you will have your work life balance. I have not met one manager that has denied a vacation or personal request. Just like the opportunities here, it is up to you to manage. The people at this company love what they do. It is not coming to "work" everyday. Its in our blood.

Found 170 reviews