SugarCRM Reviews in Cupertino, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Pros
Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

• Moving on, the Sales team is a revolving door (in 5 reviews)

"Certain departments are good, but overall this company is adrift"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary. You can work remotely for some departments. Support group has pretty good management team. Tons of schwag.

Cons

The company has no direction, aside from attempting to surpass last quarter's sales numbers. Top leadership has no vision and utterly uninspiring.

"Ugh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Snacks, the occasional movie, quarterly chair massage, food if you are lucky. Good health benefits. Work life balance.

Cons

Constant management turnover. Management reversing strategy/direction. Change in job duties due to outsourcing. Skill stagnation. Doing useless work. No possibility to advance. Inconsistent reviews. Being treated differently than peers. Non-engineering are second class people.

"Still my favorite job ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Sugar has an open, collaborative development environment. This was a little hard for me to get used to at first, but once I got acclimated to it, I've found it to be a wonderful engineering environment.
    - Very flexible working hours allows engineers to be productive when they are most productive. If I happen to develop best at 1:00AM and not wake up until 9:00AM, so be it. If I'm an early bird, then I can come in early and leave early. Or if I happen to be most productive at a Starbucks or Peet's, with the right manager, I can work remote that day.
    - There are a lot of smart people working for Sugar, so getting help when needed is not that hard. And areas of expertise range from security to architecture to front end to back end to automation.
    - Collaboration is encouraged. Working with someone else, seeking help or offering help is commonplace in the right organizations.
    - Contributions are valued. From the smallest fix to the largest change, contributions are valued not only in engineering, but in Sugar as a whole.

Cons

- After many years, we are just now getting around to fixing our release model, which has been broken for a very long time.
    - Turnover at the product leadership position have left us pretty listless for a long, long time. This is also a Pro however, since recent personnel changes in Product leadership are already yielding positive results.
    - Retaining talent is very hard since we cannot compete with the overall benefits offered at other tech companies, and salaries at Sugar lag behind other tech considerably as it relates to existing personnel.
    - The current hiring freeze is really putting the pinch on engineering as we are being tasked with the age old concept of "do more with less". The organization overall cannot grow, but must continue to deliver, even when losing key personnel.
    - Recent company performance reports coupled with some changes to previous corporate behavior has left the engineering organization feeling like we're being punished, even though we know that's not the case.

Advice to Management

- Do everything without your power to retain our existing engineers. Since we cannot actually acquire talented engineers, make sure we don't lost engineers, especially over something as silly as salary.
    - Show us that you still care about us by bringing back our evenings at the movies, or by doing the little things you used to do before.
    - Consider the possibility of additional fringe benefits and perks to be a little more competitive with other tech companies in the valley.

Oct 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are very happy this is your favorite job ever! You have provided very valuable input which will be shared with management. Your People & Places team is ... More

"Great Company with Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Well established company that has been around a long time for silicon valley standards. Good benefits, food, open communication among management and regular employee meetings. Collaborative environment where I'm encouraged to work cross function to help improve business process. New management over the last few years such as the CPO and CFO have driven change leading to many improvements. Many of my co-workers feel the G&A and support functions such as Finance have never been better and are world class. The internal IT and systems need lots of work.

Cons

New management and new employees are sometimes held back by those who have been with the company for a number of years and like to do things "the way its always been done". The culture sometimes encourages a lot of politics and "back stabbing".

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and don't let those who are resistant to change hold you back. Don't let politics hold back new management who are driving change.

Oct 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear you are enjoying working at SugarCRM. Moving forward, staying innovative, and collaborating with others is indeed important and part of our core ... More

"Run away if you work here, look elsewhere if you are looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to write about

Cons

Poor vision (no leadership) + Bad management (mostly) + Poor Execution (consistently) = ingredients of a failing company.

Advice to Management

Not sure where the problem lies, but you have a serious problem and time is running out

"Sales & Leadership"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Coworkers are genuine, easy to make connections. Good benefits.

Cons

Management is not consistent, lacks good leadership and communication. You either have a great boss or a really crappy one.

Advice to Management

For as small as the company is having the buildings spread out the way it is creates silos, find a way to retain top leaders so that strategy doesn't change every 6 months in the form of rip and replace

Jul 13, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your opinion. Sugar continues to strive for positive change; as an example we are developing a management training program as well as ... More

"This company has a severe management problem"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well thought-out technologies, smart engineers, nice perks.

Cons

Very poor management. It was great when I started out, but a succession of bad managers (self-serving and non-supportive) has caused this company to crash badly. I doubt they will last another five years, unless they change their approach to management now.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the micro-managers try to listen to your employees' concerns instead of dismissing them outright. Realize that your career path is not the most important element to the success of the company, and that the employees matter more than your climb up the ladder. I have been with a lot of mid-to-large companies and have seen this pattern emerge often, and it always results in failure.

Jul 13, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for writing this review. We value your feedback and will share this with our People & Places management team. Development of a mentor program and manager training programs are currently ... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Account Sales - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Account Sales - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, Dog Friendly, ONE BIG FAMILY

Sugar CRM is truly the most collaborative company I have ever had the pleasure to interview with as well as become an employee. I was told many times this is a company who believes in the culture and when I walked through the front doors and observed for first three weeks I realized that they truly believe in their message as a company and as employee's. I am truly blessed to have found a company who believes in the customer, product and their employees.

Cons

I would love to give Cons but this is the best company Ive ever had the chance to work for.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would keep doing what your doing and always believe in your employee, because they will believe in you too.

Jun 8, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with SugarCRM. Your People & Places team would love to hear more of your feedback. Please reach out to share your ... More

"Run don't walk!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice kitchens with free snacks, fruit and drink options and weekly catered lunch. Nice volunteer opportunities. Clean and functional work spaces (but need more seats). Some of the best people I've ever worked with (though limited number). Great IT desktop support! Quick to respond to all issues, though newer equipment would be appreciated.

Cons

Awful upper management; Directors to C-level! The best word to describe them would be poisonous. So many departments are falling apart due to BAD hires. Finance department is failing, thanks to bad management and lack of support of CFO. HR has improved in the last few months with management changes but there is still a lot that NEEDS to be improved (Maternity leave, 401k match). Recruiting is a joke as well. Spend pointless time on events and communication that no one reads, stop pushing jobs!!

Advice to Management

Out with the old and in with the new! So many poor managers who are destroying departments and running people out. People are leaving BECAUSE of managers NOT jobs. You pride yourself on your core values, well VALUE the people you have who work hard. Invest in those who invest in Sugar!

Jul 15, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear you had so many positive experiences. This is a great opportunity for us to toot our horn on a few of our stats. Our recruiting activities ... More

"Passive Aggressive - Messy Org Structure - High Turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Free snacks
    2. Quarterly Outings

Cons

Managers are very passive aggressive. They can smile and act friendly in front of you but talk badly behind your back. I witnessed myself this manager using unnecessary words to describe people in different department. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing to his own department.

Lots of bad vibes all around. People are not open and are always cautious with each other. Definitely not the environment you want to work in.

In addition, the organization structure is very messy due to high turn overs. There's always new managers, new employees and it seems that this is the norm for this company. Its hard to find someone who has a good understanding of the business. And if you do, that person is very egoistic and will tune you out if you are not liked.

Advice to Management

Examine carefully why you have such a high turn over in the department. People leave managers not jobs.