SugarCRM Reviews in Cupertino, CA | Glassdoor

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Growing pains, competitive market, and low name recognition (in 9 reviews)

• The sales team works extremely hard (in 6 reviews)

"Great new strategy!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executives working together well. Nice to see.
    Highly rated products by customers and analysts.
    Good benefits and pay.
    Nice work environment. Friendly feeling in office.

Cons

Need to grow faster. Total company revenue growth has lagged in the past as company switched from SMB to Enterprise sales. Now getting back on track but still more work to be done.
    Company morale was low last fall during layoffs but now very good. Execs must continue watching this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Recent changes are paying off.

2. "You get what you put into this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reading many bad reviews may turn people away from this company, but the saying holds true... You get what you put into this company, and the people who are leading it have a good head on their shoulders.

In my experiences and through what I've seen, SugarCRM management empowers you to own your job and your responsibilities.

Cons

The only cons about working here relate to low morale from a recent re-org. I think we've gotten past that, and are on the up-and-up.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well, and promote from within. Be loyal to your employees.

"Current state of Sugar"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in sales for 8 yrs and this is my favorite sales and management team. Everyone is here to help and win together. I come to work every day happy and leave accomplished because I enjoy the people and the product that we not only sell but use daily.

lots of food, snacks, fruit
    New building with lots of natural light
    New outside courtyard with nice seats, gazebo and TV to catch a sport event
    Lunch and Learn Wed., Tweet for a treat, Monthly bday celebrations.
    Good compensation, decent benefits, and fun sales incentives.

Cons

We do not get 401K matched- hope this changes since I see myself here long term.
    The sales team works extremely hard. It would be nice to have an offsite team building sometime.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting, motivating, and building the sales team to continue to keep the moral high.

4. "Corporate Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Uniquely positioned in the market
    -Autonomy, run your territory how you deem fit
    -Supportive Team

Cons

-Brand still scraping for market visibility (aren't we all though?)

"Love my new career!"

Current Employee - Sales in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Great Pay
    Great People
    Fantastic Work/Life Balance
    I feel challenged (In a good way) with the amount of work I have but its not overwhelming its the perfect amount!
    Amazing Opportunity
    Positive Environment
    Well Stocked Kitchen (Snacks, fruits, yogurt, teas, coffee, ramen ect...)
    My manager is a leader and a great coach! No micromanaging here!
    As a new hire i'm constantly asked if i need assistance with anything
    Open door policy, i feel empowered to talk to my work family (HR, Management, Co-workers) about anything.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any....

Advice to Management

I love everything about SugarCRM please keep it this way!

"Ugh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Snacks, the occasional movie, quarterly chair massage, food if you are lucky. Good health benefits. Work life balance.

Cons

Constant management turnover. Management reversing strategy/direction. Change in job duties due to outsourcing. Skill stagnation. Doing useless work. No possibility to advance. Inconsistent reviews. Being treated differently than peers. Non-engineering are second class people.

"Certain departments are good, but overall this company is adrift"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary. You can work remotely for some departments. Support group has pretty good management team. Tons of schwag.

Cons

The company has no direction, aside from attempting to surpass last quarter's sales numbers. Top leadership has no vision and utterly uninspiring.

"Still my favorite job ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Sugar has an open, collaborative development environment. This was a little hard for me to get used to at first, but once I got acclimated to it, I've found it to be a wonderful engineering environment.
    - Very flexible working hours allows engineers to be productive when they are most productive. If I happen to develop best at 1:00AM and not wake up until 9:00AM, so be it. If I'm an early bird, then I can come in early and leave early. Or if I happen to be most productive at a Starbucks or Peet's, with the right manager, I can work remote that day.
    - There are a lot of smart people working for Sugar, so getting help when needed is not that hard. And areas of expertise range from security to architecture to front end to back end to automation.
    - Collaboration is encouraged. Working with someone else, seeking help or offering help is commonplace in the right organizations.
    - Contributions are valued. From the smallest fix to the largest change, contributions are valued not only in engineering, but in Sugar as a whole.

Cons

- After many years, we are just now getting around to fixing our release model, which has been broken for a very long time.
    - Turnover at the product leadership position have left us pretty listless for a long, long time. This is also a Pro however, since recent personnel changes in Product leadership are already yielding positive results.
    - Retaining talent is very hard since we cannot compete with the overall benefits offered at other tech companies, and salaries at Sugar lag behind other tech considerably as it relates to existing personnel.
    - The current hiring freeze is really putting the pinch on engineering as we are being tasked with the age old concept of "do more with less". The organization overall cannot grow, but must continue to deliver, even when losing key personnel.
    - Recent company performance reports coupled with some changes to previous corporate behavior has left the engineering organization feeling like we're being punished, even though we know that's not the case.

Advice to Management

- Do everything without your power to retain our existing engineers. Since we cannot actually acquire talented engineers, make sure we don't lost engineers, especially over something as silly as salary.
    - Show us that you still care about us by bringing back our evenings at the movies, or by doing the little things you used to do before.
    - Consider the possibility of additional fringe benefits and perks to be a little more competitive with other tech companies in the valley.

SugarCRM Response

Oct 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are very happy this is your favorite job ever! You have provided very valuable input which will be shared with management. Your People & Places team is... More

"Great Company with Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Well established company that has been around a long time for silicon valley standards. Good benefits, food, open communication among management and regular employee meetings. Collaborative environment where I'm encouraged to work cross function to help improve business process. New management over the last few years such as the CPO and CFO have driven change leading to many improvements. Many of my co-workers feel the G&A and support functions such as Finance have never been better and are world class. The internal IT and systems need lots of work.

Cons

New management and new employees are sometimes held back by those who have been with the company for a number of years and like to do things "the way its always been done". The culture sometimes encourages a lot of politics and "back stabbing".

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and don't let those who are resistant to change hold you back. Don't let politics hold back new management who are driving change.

SugarCRM Response

Oct 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear you are enjoying working at SugarCRM. Moving forward, staying innovative, and collaborating with others is indeed important and part of our core... More

"Run away if you work here, look elsewhere if you are looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to write about

Cons

Poor vision (no leadership) + Bad management (mostly) + Poor Execution (consistently) = ingredients of a failing company.

Advice to Management

Not sure where the problem lies, but you have a serious problem and time is running out